INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transitioning from MC21  (Read 2417 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Transitioning from MC21
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:56 pm »

This thread may be specific to my personal set up, so I apologize for the selfish nature of this thread.  The purpose of this thread is to transition the set up that I've created with MC21 to MC22:

Setup:
MC21 is currently running on my Mac and on my QNAP NAS;
The files for my main library are located solely on my NAS;
The files that I wish to tag and manage are located both on my Mac and on my NAS and changes are synced via BitTorrent Sync; once I've properly tagged them I'll use MC's "Rename, Move, & Copy Files…" to move them to my NAS and removes the duplicates from the "to tag" folders from both my Mac and my NAS.  The reason why I do this is so that I can access them via JRemote when remotely connected to my NAS library and be able to efficiently edit them on my Mac.

Use:
I don't load the library remotely via MC.  I've set the "auto import" directories on Mac to my NAS via Mac's AFP by first mounting the NAS in Mac's Finder.

When listening to music from MC on my Mac, I don't remotely load my NAS MC library from my Mac MC as both libraries are separate. Yes this makes libraries inconsistent and confusing, but for efficiency's sake, I prefer it this way.

Questions:
Now what I'm afraid of is somehow damaging the library/files on my QNAP NAS with MC21 by using the same files on MC22 on my Mac. I know that you can't foresee everything, but reading Hendrik's post in the MC22 for Linux forum, it has raised some concerns that I'd like to flesh out and get some feedback on:

1.  Can I load MC22 on my Mac and use it the same way I've been using without interfering with the MC21 library on my QNAP NAS?
2.  Can I copy/move the files in Application Support/J River/Media Center 21 to Application Support/J River/Media Center 22?
3.  Anything I should look out for potentially happening when loading MC22 on my Mac and using the same files (not library) that MC 21 is using on my QNAP NAS?

Thanks for the continued development of Media Center and I appreciate the consideration.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Transitioning from MC21
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:26 am »

For questions 1 and 3, it doesn't seem like there would be a problem accessing the same files from different Media Center's with different libraries.  Of course if you move/rename files from one Media Center, they will become missing links in the other Media Center, but just updating tags should be alright.  I would think you'd only want auto-import enabled on one of them and just run a manual import as needed on the other one.  Otherwise it seems like the two auto-imports might interfere with each other.

Of course, you'd definitely want to create library backups before trying the setup, then run with it for a while and see how well it's working.

On question 2, it would depend on which files you're referring to.  Most of the files there are version specific.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up