INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dirac Calibration/Processor conflicts/Driver conflicts  (Read 3088 times)

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
Dirac Calibration/Processor conflicts/Driver conflicts
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:58:32 am »

I have a Dirac Live trial going.  Unfortunately I cannot get my system to properly play 96k.  Any track at greater than 48k causes terrible stutter/static/stall.
I have verified/re-verified all settings are correct in Windows 10/Dirac/JRiver/Oppo.
All the latest downloads and updates are installed/current.

When the filter is not in the chain, 5.1 24/96 plays perfectly.  When the filter is in the chain but I turn it off, playback becomes perfect.  If I downsample a 24/96 track in JRiver to 24/48, perfect (with the DAP on).

Signal Chain:  Synology NAS>>Broadwell NUC/i5/8GB/HD Graphics 6000/JRiver/Dirac/>>via HDMI>>Oppo 105D>>Analog 5.1>>XMC-1>>Wyred4Sound MCH Amp>>Revel 5.1.  All hardwired connections.  Very high-speed ethernet.

Yes I know the XMC-1 has Dirac.  I already have it.  I would like the additional capability of Dirac Live and prefer the Oppo DAC.  I have tried running the system directly to the XMC DAC and get the same issues.  Have also informed Dirac Support and thus far they have no answers.

I can only assume the problem is with Dirac somewhere (identifying the Windows/HD Graphics as Intel Display Audio?)
A possible clue I can identify is with drivers.  DLCT identifies its output as KS Intel Display Audio which I assume is the audio portion of the HD Graphics 6000.  The DAP also identifies the same output.
However, Windows and JRiver both identify the Oppo as Oppo 105RPT (Wasapi).
In normal operation, JRiver will play 5.1 24/96 perfectly on output Oppo 105RPT (WASAPI).  But not with DAP (Dirac Processor WASAPI) in the chain.  When I try another JRiver output with DAP in the chain...Dirac Processor (Kernel Streaming), JRiver returns an error mesage: 6CH 96k playback not possible on this output.
I am not savvy enough to know for sure, but it seems like there might be a conflict between the driver Dirac sees and employs and what JRiver sees/employs and what Oppo has on board.
Has anyone seen this and have any suggestions?
Thanks very much for your help.

Don W

• World Citizen
Re: Dirac Calibration/Processor conflicts/Driver conflicts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:03:38 pm »

When you create a filter with the Dirac Live Calibration Suite, in the first step there is an option to select which sample rates the filter will support. By default only 44100 and 48000 are selected, but the higher rates are available.

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 11:39:18 am »

Thanks, yes all the correct filter rates are selected, including 96k.
DLCT builds the filters correctly and with good results.
The problem is with DAP I believe.  DAP is unable to playback 96k through JRiver and the Oppo HDMI MCH DAC.
Thanks.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:44:53 pm »

I play 96k from JRiver to Dirac without problem.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »

I play 96k from JRiver to Dirac without problem.
Yes and 176.4/192 work fine, too.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:27:07 pm »

Don W and kr4,
May I ask are you playing 96k with 5.1 thru HDMI and Windows10?  If so how is the driver identified in Windows? 
Thanks very much

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:45:19 pm »

No, 2 channels out to USB here. Sorry. For some reason Dirac live doesn't use the same strings for audio device names that Windows uses.

Have you verified that JRiver is sending what you expect out to Dirac? You can check that in real time by hovering over the last of the three icons to the right of the track progress bar in standard view. Otherwise sounds like you might be right about the problem being with Dirac Live. With luck their customer support will have something to say. They are supposed to be coming out with a new version of Dirac Live for Windows soon. Maybe there's been a bug fix.

Good luck.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:52:06 pm »

Don W and kr4,
May I ask are you playing 96k with 5.1 thru HDMI and Windows10?
5.1 via HDMI to a Marantz AV8802a.
  If so how is the driver identified in Windows? 
Dunno.  I will look at it on Saturday.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up