INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing Note 3 problem  (Read 3918 times)

dafloydman

• World Citizen
Syncing Note 3 problem
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »

I have been trying to sync my handset (Note 3 running android 4.05 ).

I should mention that the same problems i am about to outline have also happened with my
samsung galaxy s3 , Samsung note 2 , samsung note 4 . All with stock roms . I had started using jremote instead until the lack of volume levelling got too much  (when playing tracks from multiple different sources ie not a single cd )

first up format my ext sd card on my phone
plug in the handset to my windows 10 tablet .

sync settings original ( no transcoding )
Delete tracks not  in sync  list
Choose a smart list to sync ( smartlist based on rating with a current number plays as 1 , also at
this point limiting number of items to 100 until i am confident it can work.)

Start the sync , all good. Play the tracks at work come back home plug in
jriver will re sync everything ( sometimes creating duplicates ) also will not update play count
which a critical component of the system because what i am after is a play count of more than one
once played on my device which should effectively tell jriver to remove tracks  from the smartlist and hence the
phone and replace with other tracks from my library that meet the criteria of the smartlist.

i have had success pulling out the sd  , but this is not a solution as it breaks integration with the library through not updating my
stats on which my sync lists are based .

Thanks
floyd  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Syncing Note 3 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:24:55 am »

Start simple and increase the complexity until you find a problem.

Drag a few tracks to the sync window.  Sync.

Drag more, etc.

Try a small playlist.

Try more.

etc.

Someone posted a day or two ago that large playlists didn't work, but smaller ones (under 1000) did.

See if you can find where it breaks.

Different phones may behave differently, so use the latest Android OS that you can.

dafloydman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:55:11 am »

I have reduced the number in the smartlist to two.
when i reattach the device it'll sometimes create 2 copies of the same file
I have tried playing the synced files in the stock android player and even
poweramp and it does not update my play counts either .

So what it isn't doing is working .& i have not idea what to do

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:59:33 am »

Try playlists that are not smartlists.

You could also create a smartlist and then save it as a playlist.

dafloydman

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:11:04 am »

Ok i'll give that a go . But before i go to even more trouble . is it realistic to expect play counts to update?
is there a recommended android player that is more reliable.
i have checked the box in the sync settings.
Because if not this is where the system falls flat , because i end with a broken link in library ,so to speak
which is why i chose jrmc in the first place

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:34:45 am »

I don't know the answer to your question.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:25:02 am »

is it realistic to expect play counts to update?

I don't think so.  MC would have to read the play count from the copy that's on your Android.  I don't think it does this.

is there a recommended android player that is more reliable.

If you are still referring to trying to update play counts, I'm not sure if the Android player would help with this or not.  Again, I don't think MC will read the metadata from the files on the Android.  Why would it?  But if it did, how would that work?  What if the metadata is different on the copy in the library and the copy on the handheld?  Which one would "win"?  Play counts are going to change on both copies:  The copy in MC as the files get played.  The copy on the handheld as they get played there too.  Which count is correct?  What if you change metadata on the MC copy in between syncs? (Like Album name, etc)  As you can see, it's not a simple process.

Maybe there's a way to do what you want without using play counts.

Good luck.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:08:58 am »

Ok i'll give that a go . But before i go to even more trouble . is it realistic to expect play counts to update?

I don't think that's a realistic expectation, especially since most android music players don't actually write playcounts to the file tags.  And even assuming you found such a player, you'd have to deal with the sync/deconfliction issues that Brian mentioned.  Deconflicting in the case of playcounts is actually algorithmically "solveable" since playcounts are additive (for example, JRiver could note the playcount at time of sync, note the playcount at next sync and add the "difference" to the library playcount), but that logic isn't currently there in JRiver.  

I'm not aware of a working solution to your problem (short of using gizmo or jremote); JRiver was working on a local android player for a while, but I'm not sure if that's still on the horizon.

FWIW - in re: syncing duplicates, I had the same problem with my Note 3, it would often fail to identify existing files on the phone or sdcard and sync back duplicate copies. I tried lots of things and never did solve it.  I ultimately stopped using JRiver's sync function to transfer the files directly to my phone.  What I did instead is create a new "handheld device" in JRiver that points to a directory.  I then use the sync function in JRiver to fill that directory with the files I want.  Then I manually move the files over to my phone via windows explorer or the android foldersync app.

That way you can take advantage of JRiver's smartlists and playlists and transcoding, but you can get reliable syncing too.  That definitely won't help with your playcounts issue, obviously.

dafloydman

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »

Thanks Guys , at least you save me a continued search
cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up