INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No thumbnails for video tooltips  (Read 3051 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
No thumbnails for video tooltips
« on: July 26, 2016, 10:58:05 am »

When hovering over videos in a view that uses the "thumbnails" list style, tooltips won't display a large view of the thumbnail if it was auto-generated on import.
If I create a custom thumbnail for the video, then the tooltip displays the thumbnail as expected.

Can this be fixed so that the tooltips always display large thumbnails?

blgentry

Re: No thumbnails for video tooltips
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:24 am »

That behavior has been in MC for as long as I've been using it.  It's actually an indicator to me that I haven't saved the thumbnail for a particular video.  Of course I can also look at the [Image File] field to see this same information (no saved cover art/thumbnail).

If you simply do Cover Art > Save Cover art , MC will write the existing auto-generated thumbnail to disk as a jpg.  Then it will show up in the tool tips.  If you want to do this only for files that don't have saved cover art already, just do a search for [Image File]="" .  Then apply it to all of those files.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:08:08 pm »

Yes, I realize it's a long-standing issue.
I'm hoping that it can be fixed instead of having to manually create thumbnails every time I import a new video.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:02:25 am »

Yes, I realize it's a long-standing issue.
I'm hoping that it can be fixed instead of having to manually create thumbnails every time I import a new video.

"Manually create thumbnails" makes it sound like it's a long process.  You're just saving the already generated thumbnails to JPGs on the disk with Cover Art > Save Cover art.  It's super fast.  Yes, I know it's one more step.  But it's kinda no big deal right?

But this only applies to files that need to generate thumbnails from the video itself.  Anything that downloads cover art from the various databases automatically saves that cover art, so the tooltip thumbnail will be there.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:00:28 am »

When you import a lot of videos every day it's a nuisance, and I don't want duplicate copies of all the thumbnails.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:22:41 am »

When you import a lot of videos every day it's a nuisance, and I don't want duplicate copies of all the thumbnails.

I don't understand, 'duplicate copies'.   You mean the tiny little JPGs it writes to disk?  Why would you care?

I frequently read your trouble reports and wonder why it is of any interest at all.  I mean no offense, but many of these issues seem to be non-issues and you talk about them like they are a large inconvenience.

I guess I'll just read your response and then step away since I can't fix this.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:29:54 am »

I'm not asking you to, I'm asking JRiver to fix this so that it displays the already-generated thumbnails.
Seems like a basic bug fix.

I add maybe 10-20 videos throughout most days and I don't want to constantly have to manually save thumbnails to disk.
Nor do I want to clutter my video folders with those thumbnails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up