INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd Pause Error  (Read 3398 times)

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Odd Pause Error
« on: June 02, 2003, 04:48:52 pm »

Not sure what this is...

MC runs pretty normal but there are occasional pauses.  I'll be tagging songs, or navigating within MC, or doing any misc. task and suddenly MC just pauses.  It's a freeze of 1 second to maybe 20 seconds.  I can't do anything during one of these freezes.  It's really annoying.

I have done a total uninstall, restart, reinstall but it's still happening.  This problem only occurs when running MC...it never happens with other software.

Here's my system info:

Media Center Registered 9.0.179 -- C:\Media Players\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1400 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 408 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TDK      CDRW161040X        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Odd Pause Error
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 04:56:43 pm »

I'll be tagging songs, or navigating within MC, or doing any misc. task and suddenly MC just pauses.  It's a freeze of 1 second to maybe 20 seconds.

If the file has ID3v2 tags MC9 may have to re-write the whole 3 - 6 megs of the file. thats because the tag is at the begining of the file and needs to make space for your re-tagging changes.

Id3v1 is fater but has limitations

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 06:05:58 pm »

Thanks for the response, King.

It's not what I'm doing that causes the "pause", it can happen if I just leave it there.  MC just freezes for no reason...it occurs ~ once every 5 minutes or so.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 06:20:53 pm »

It's actually happening much more frequently now.  It's really frustrating.  Here's a good example of the error.

1.  I open MC.
2.  I click on "Media Library" to expand the tree
3.  Nothing happens
4.  I try to expand the tree again
5.  Nothing happens
6.  I realize this is one of the freezes so I try clicking on something else...the "file" menu, for example
7.  Nothing happens, the program is non-responsive
8.  Finally, MC "wakes up" and lets me expand the tree

Marko

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 10:29:42 pm »

sounds like it could be looking for something that's not where it expects it to be. Do you have any files in your library that reside on network shares?

If I were you, I'd try backing up my existing library, then deleting it (making sure your backup zipfile isn't corrupt first). Then import some files that live locally and see if the problem persists with this new clean library.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 06:41:33 am »

Thank you.  I'll try that.

My files are locally stored across two hard drives.  

Another thing I've noticed about this problem: when MC freezes I can click on the title bar at the very top.  When I do it changes color.  It almost looks like MC moved to the background for a second and when the "freeze" is over it comes back to the foreground.  However, this occurs even if MC is the only application open.

I'll report back after backing up and deleting the library.  However, I have already deleted it (in a total uninstal) and re-built it.  I don't have much hope for this.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 07:34:19 am »

turn off auto resize cols
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 08:34:57 am »

I'd agree with Marko, sounds like it's looking for something that doesn't exist.

I've seen this when the MC db isn't "complete". After moving many items around in my music directories using MS explorer, then opening MC, MC will "pause" or "hang". Choosing file|library|update and check the "remove files which do not exist" box always cleared up the problem.

WP

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 08:40:41 am »

Auto-resize columns is off.

Ok, I backed-up and deleted the library.  It didn't work though.  I still have the freezes.  I'll try the update library too, that's a good suggestion.  However, I would think my complete uninstall (which included rebuilding the library from scratch) would have accomplished the same thing.  -but at this point I'm desparate...I'll do anything to get rid of this problem!!

If the update library doesn't do it, I think I'll uninstall again, delete the directory and re-install in a totally different directory.  I'm still open to suggestions, I appreciate everyone's assistance thus far.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 03:47:01 pm »

Jim, Matt, anyone on the MC team,

Can I get some ideas from you guys?  I'd be happy to follow any step-by-step suggestions you throw at me.  If you need any other info please let me know.

I have tried EVERYTHING suggested above but nothing seems to work.  This problem is so significant I simply cannot use MC anymore (and it's my absolute favorite piece of software!).  

I just completed a TOTAL uninstall followed by several reboots.  I deleted every trace of MC and all plug-ins I could find on my PC.  I then rebooted and reinstalled and the same "pause" problem exists.  I don't know what else to try.

I need your expert assistance to get back on my feet.  

Thanks,

-Camp

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 03:55:25 pm »

Oooh!  I may have stumbled upon a clue (though I don't know what to make of it)...

I just decided to remove most of my library.  Normally my audio library is around 8,000 files.  I just deleted all but about 15 songs.

I am not noticing the problem with such a small library.  That's got to mean the issue is related to the size of the physical library or the library database.  -right?

Ok...now what do I do with that knowledge?  ;)

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 06:41:15 pm »

Or it was something in your library that is no longer there. I have around 50,000 files in my library (and I know KS has maybe three times that) and I don't have this problem (I don't beleive KS does either), so it can't be related to size alone. But there is an answer somewhere.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 08:02:12 pm »

I agree and I appreciate everyone throwing out ideas.

Or it was something in your library that is no longer there.

But how could that be if I have totally deleted, uninstalled and re-built the library?  I wonder if moving the music files around to different locations on the discs would matter?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2003, 04:03:40 am »

I don't think it's MC.  Take a look at DocLotus's post up under the XP something thread.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 05:56:54 am »

Thanks for the response, Jim.
I read through the thread and I think it's different than my problem.  On my system MC is the only software displaying any odd behavior.  Everything else runs perfectly.

It must have something to do with my media library as altering the size of the library from 8,000+ songs to 15 eliminated the "pause" problem.  I'm at a loss...and I really hate using MusicMatch an Foobar2000. :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2003, 07:11:45 am »

The fact that MC is the only software that shows the problem may not mean that it is a problem with MC.  It may mean that MC creates a condition that triggers the problem in memory, for example, or on disk, or with the case of a virus checker, in doing something the virus checker doesn't like.

If you think it has to do with your library, try importing half of it.  If that doesn't work, split what you imported in half and see whether either part imports and works.  And so on.  

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2003, 09:59:52 am »

Right, the fact that it happens to MC and nothing else means that it does have something to do with MC, but not necessarily is it MC's fault.

I'd try the following:

First off, remove MC, and then remove any mention of it in the registry (be careful here and only do this if you're confident in editing the registry, or else you could be rebuilding your whole system.) Then reboot.

Then re-install MC and rebuild db as Jim suggested, in quarters or even smaller increments. Test each time afterward, as you could be looking for a corrupt file or files.

If your files are MP3's with ID3V2 tags, turn off tagging in MC (Options|General| Uncheck "update tags when file info changes".)

Turn off and unload from taskman (and make sure tray doesn't have open) any type of software that either checks the net automatically over certain intervals (such as Outlook, NAV, clock synchronizers, auto updates, server connections etc) or runs auto-backups or parsing on the current system. Get them all out there, anything even remotely suspicious in that type of behaviour should be gone.

Then test as you go, loading up any type of app that does this and wait for the problem to occur again.

Sorry, I wish it was easier, but you'll need to be thorough in rooting out the evil spirits that haunt your system.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2003, 01:49:43 pm »

OK...sorry I haven't responded, following all these suggestions takes some time.

As suggested, I've been re-building my library piece-by-piece.  I have shut down anything that normally runs in the background.  I'm about 3/4 through my library and no problems so far (knock on wood!).  

I'm starting to wonder if MS Outlook was the problem.  Not sure how, but it might be the case.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2003, 02:00:50 pm »

Crap!   :o

Well, adding the last 1/4 of my library somehow brought back the problem.  I'm just too frustrated to continue.  Building a nice size library is work so it's doubly frustrating when something like this happens.  

Gonna step away from if for a few days...to cool off.  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2003, 03:48:29 pm »

So now start fresh and import the last 1/4.  Does the problem re-appear?  If so, split it in two.  If it's a single file, please let us have a copy.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2003, 09:52:39 am »

OK...how about an update to this older thread?  :)

I went to extreme measures to solve this problem.  I re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows (XP Home edition).  I figured that would take care of the hang problem once and for all!

Well, it didn't work!   ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but a total wipe of the HD and re-install of Windows eliminates an awful lot of potential causes for this issue.  It can't be a driver problem, a windows problem, conflict with other software, etc.  After getting Windows re-installed and connected to the Internet, MC was the first piece of software I installed (to avoid any potential issues with other software).

It's either a conflict with a particular piece of hardware (which can't be as MC ran perfectly fine with the exact same hardware prior to this) a corrupt song file in my library (which I have been totally unable to locate).

I should note that I am now using version 9.1xxx as it behaves better when it hangs.  That is, it exhibits the exact same hang issue I saw in version 9.0 but, for whatever reason, 9.1 manages to get out of the hang much quicker (for example, a typical hang on 9.0 was 4 or 5 seconds while 9.1 cuts that time roughly in half).

Ok...where do I go from here?  Short of buying a new PC just to run MC I don't know what to do.

System info:
Media Center Registered 9.1.206 -- C:\Media Players\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1401 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 447 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TDK      CDRW161040X        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:10  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

jleerigby

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2003, 02:40:10 pm »

This doesn't look like an MC problem.  If it were loads of other people would be reporting it.  It must be something in your system config that's just not right (Memory, hardware, BIOS etc).

Check the Event Viewer in XP for any application or system errors.

Try running a benchmark program like PC Mark 2002 and comparing the results with a PC with similar memory, CPU and hard drive speed.

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2003, 04:26:50 pm »

I don't think it's MC.  Take a look at DocLotus's post up under the XP something thread.

I'm sorry, but I do believe it's MC.

I've been experiencing the exact same problem for sometime.  Have any of you read my thread  "Latest builds bring MC to a crawl"?
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1056144275

I've been having this problem for months. The only difference is my library is mostly mpg files. Matt is currently working on trying to replicate my problem.

iCamp do you have any mpg files in your library that might be slowing things down?   Matt believes my problem may be a missing codec.  I hope so, because I've been stuck on version 9.0.143 because of the same problems and annoyance iCamp is experiencing.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 06:14:51 am »

Problem SOLVED!!!

Long time, no update.  A lot of you helped me out with this problem so I thought I had better let you all know what the problem was.

This doesn't look like an MC problem.  If it were loads of other people would be reporting it.  It must be something in your system config that's just not right (Memory, hardware, BIOS etc).

That is the best guess.

Turns out all I needed to do was update the Via 4-in-1 drivers for my motherboard.  MC was the only application on my system that had issues with the previous Via drivers but the new 4-in-1's did the trick.

If you have an Athlon motherboard using a Via chipset I'd strongly recommend getting the latest 4-in-1's.

Cindy_B,

No I don't have many mpg files.  Maybe 3 or 4 but that's it.  Sorry.

LisaRCT

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 07:41:05 am »

I have seen the same isues with PAUSES.

If I am tagging it is most notable, but occurs at other times such as 3when browsig the panes in Media Library.
I do have all the auto functions turned off (auto column, auto update tags, auto import, etc.  I also do frequent Library Updates and imports to remove missing entries and to detect changes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up