INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play 5.0 WAV and DSF files  (Read 10427 times)

Living Stereo

• Recent member
Can't play 5.0 WAV and DSF files
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:42:27 pm »

I have a large number of 5.1 WAV and DSF Files that play perfectly fine when output is set for "Source Number Of Channels.  When I try to play a 5.0 file (The Best Of The Doors SACD DSF File) it will not play the rear channels.  I converted this to a Multi Channel WAV, same issue.  I looked at the wav in Audacity and all channels are mapped correctly, with the center being empty as it is a Quad Recording.  It does not have a LFE Channel.  JRiver 21 will not play the rear channels at all.  I experienced this as well with the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets, I could not get JRiver to play the Quad Mix of Wish You Were Here properly either, the 5.1 Mix no problem.

Can anybody figure what the problem is here ?, so far it seems to be a software issue with JRiver not recognizing a 5.0 DSF, FLAC or WAV file properly.  This is driving me nutz trying to figure this out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't play 5.0 WAV and DSF files
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:05:30 am »

Do the files play in any other software?  Maybe there is a problem with the ripping.

Work on playing the original, not a WAV file conversion.

Did you try MC's DSP Studio to see if you can remap the channels?

What device are you playing to?  Can it play DSF files?

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:36:03 am »

I have tried this with the original DSF Files, WAV and FLAC conversions.  

I tried to remap the channels, it made no difference.  Others have complained about this behavior on the Computer Audiophile Forum.  

I have tried this with the Best Of The Doors, and both the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets, Dark Side & Wish You Were Quad Recordings.  They are encoded as 5.0 Channel, not 5.1 and MC21 just does not seem to know what to do with a 5.0 file.  It will play FL & FR only, all surround info is not played.  

I have tried using the 5.1 setting, but it is adding center info and not playing just 4 channels, it is also adding rear information to my 2CH recordings of any file type.  

There are a fair amount of SACD's & BluRay Audio discs encoded with 5.0, mostly for older Quadraphonic recordings, and I would like them to play properly as my 2CH and 5.1CH files do.

I have JRiver set to play Source Number Of Channels, I am outputting via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A3040 Receiver.  Receiver is set to Straight, no decoding at all.  

All files work properly except 5.0 files.  The 5.0 Files show to have LF, RF, RR, LR and Center (empty channel as these are from 4CH sources) and no LFE Channel.  

I have tried every setting I can and they will not play properly. FR & LF is all I get out the speakers and a lot of the music information is missing.  

Am worried that it will not deal with my Living Stereo SACD files that are 3 Channel only FL Center, & FR.  I have not got to these yet.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 12:40:37 am »

Same here with the Doors SACD

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 12:43:56 am »

Can you play these files with any other software?

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 01:16:58 am »

Can you play these files with any other software?

I just tried using Foobar with the WASAPI and the SACD Plugin, no problems  Plays 5.0 as it should be, now if I can get MC21 to do the same.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:23:31 am »

We will take a look.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 01:25:40 am »

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:25:34 am »

5.0 is often a problem with HDMI, as HDMI doesn't carry proper speaker assignments, you should probably set the DSP studio to 5.1 or your actual speaker count instead of source number of channels.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:24 am »

^ Yes.  As I understand it, "source number of channels" is problematic in most setups.  You should set the channel count to your actual speaker number, and JRiver *should* do the right thing based on that information and the number of channels in the recording.

Brian.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 10:26:22 am »

5.0 is often a problem with HDMI, as HDMI doesn't carry proper speaker assignments, you should probably set the DSP studio to 5.1 or your actual speaker count instead of source number of channels.

I have, and it is creating center channel information where there is none, and rear channel info on all my 2CH files.  There is a setting for 4.0, it does not work either.  Source Number of channels works fine with everything except 5.0.  As noted above I was able to get the 5.0  files to play properly with Foobar, so I know the files are ok and it is not an HDMI issue.  I have been using JRiver for years. I use JRiver to manage and play all my files on my Music Server and would prefer to do so rather than using Foobar, so I hope they can figure this out

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 11:23:24 am »

It might be a problem with specific discs.  Not sure what the 5th channel is supposed to be on your disc.  Possibly, it is center channel signal created on the remaster from 4.0.

But, I use Channels in DSP Studio = 5.1, not Source Number of Channels.  It is likely an issue of input to output channel mapping. The surround  signal should be directed to the surrounds at the side if the disc is 5.0/.1, not to the back channels if you have a 7.1 system.

I play tons of 5.0/.1 rips successfully on a 7.1 capable system, as well as stereo using the 5.1 setting in DSP Studio.  I checked the box in DSP Studio as "For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1".  They  play correctly as 2.1, or 5.1, using JRiver for bass management in Room Correction.    Not sure what happens with 4.0.  But, I do have a few Quad era remasterings on Pentatone that seem to play fine as 4.1 using the 5.1 Channels setting in DSP Studio.  They may be mastered as 5.0 with a dead center channel signal. I have not checked.

I also play 7.1 BDs.  I created a 5.1 and  a 7.1 zone and used Zoneswitch to toggle between them based on the Channels tag value from the disc > 6. Note that 6 in the disc metadata is not the same as 5.1 on the output parameter in DSP Studio.  But, that is what happens if you use Source Number of Channels and that causes confusion.

It was screwing up the channel assignments when I used 7.1 or Source Number of Channels as the fixed setting in DSP Studio for 5.0/.1 playback.  But, Zoneswitch between 5.1 and 7.1 is perfect for me so far.  I have checked it using individual channel level meters in my DAC driver.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 11:33:36 am »

It might be a problem with specific discs.  Not sure what the 5th channel is supposed to be on your disc.  Possibly, it is center channel signal created on the remaster from 4.0.

But, I use Channels in DSP Studio = 5.1, not Source Number of Channels.  It is likely an issue of input to output channel mapping. The surround  signal should be directed to the surrounds at the side if the disc is 5.0/.1, not to the back channels if you have a 7.1 system.

I play tons of 5.0/.1 rips successfully on a 7.1 capable system, as well as stereo using the 5.1 setting in DSP Studio.  I checked the box in DSP Studio as "For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1".  They  play correctly as 2.1, or 5.1, using JRiver for bass management in Room Correction.    Not sure what happens with 4.0.  But, I do have a few Quad era remasterings on Pentatone that seem to play fine as 4.1 using the 5.1 Channels setting in DSP Studio.  They may be mastered as 5.0 with a dead center channel signal. I have not checked.

I also play 7.1 BDs.  I created a 5.1 and  a 7.1 zone and used Zoneswitch to toggle between them based on the Channels tag value from the disc > 6. Note that 6 in the disc metadata is not the same as 5.1 on the output parameter in DSP Studio.  But, that is what happens if you use Source Number of Channels and that causes confusion.

It was screwing up the channel assignments when I used 7.1 or Source Number of Channels as the fixed setting in DSP Studio for 5.0/.1 playback.  But, Zoneswitch between 5.1 and 7.1 is perfect for me so far.  I have checked it using individual channel level meters in my DAC driver.

As I mentioned before, when I set DSP Studio to 5.1, It will play with surround info, but it is adding center channel info where none exists.  Also in 5.1 Mode, it is adding surround info to my rear speakers when playing 2CH material.  When I use Source Number of Channels, MC Plays two channel properly, and 5.1 Properly automatically, just not 5.0.  

I just listened to the entire Best Of the Doors album  from the DSF Files in Multi Channel (4 Channels with empty Center) playing back with Foobar and it plays perfectly.  This has to be a software issue with in JRiver MC and I hope they can solve it.  I tend to do a lot of playlists and random playback, and I would hate to have to exclude my 5.0 files from this, or have to constantly switch to foobar just to listen to these albums.  I like to keep everything under one roof.  Foobar is ok, but I much prefer all the features and interface that JRiver has to offer.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 11:36:39 am »

5.0 already includes center information. What do you think the 5th channel is? :)

If you don't want any upmixing, set Channels to 5.1 and Mixing right below to "no upmixing or downmixing".
Like I said above, 5.0 is often problematic with HDMI, and its very well possible that foobar is just adding empty channel to make it conform to a standard HDMI layout like 5.1 - this is what the suggested settings above would do as well.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 11:49:42 am »

5.0 already includes center information. What do you think the 5th channel is? :)

If you don't want any upmixing, set Channels to 5.1 and Mixing right below to "no upmixing or downmixing".
Like I said above, 5.0 is often problematic with HDMI, and its very well possible that foobar is just adding empty channel to make it conform to a standard HDMI layout like 5.1 - this is what the suggested settings above would do as well.

I don't think you are reading things properly.  JRiver is adding audible content to the center channel when playing 5.0 files in 5.1 mode, it is also adding audible content to the rear channels when playing 2CH material.  Using Source Number of Channels should work on 5.0 files but it does not, it does work perfectly with 2.0 and 5.1.  The 5.0 files are Mapped Correctly and converting to WAV confirms proper channel setup in Audacity, and Foobar Plays them without issue.   I do not think this is a HDMI Issue. Foobar is not adding anything, the fifth channel, it is on the original file, but with no audio in it as it should be with a 4CH Quad recording.  JRiver refuses to play the files with the LR and RR channels.  Switching to 5.1 is not the answer.  If Foobar can see the files properly, then JRiver should be able to as well.  I truly believe this is a software issue that needs to be addressed in JRiver MC.  

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 12:18:16 pm »

JRiver is adding audible content to the center channel when playing 5.0 files in 5.1 mode, it is also adding audible content to the rear channels when playing 2CH material.

Ok, slow down for a second.  You have been given two different things to try.  Both of these things address your specific concern I quoted above.  Try one of these things at a time:

A.  Set channels to 5.1.  Set mixing to "No Upmixing or Downmixing".  This will make sure MC does not generate any extra channels, or downmix any.

OR

B.  Set channels to 5.1.  Set mixing to JRSS .  Now, check the box below that says "for stereo sources only mix to 2.1".

Solution A should be correct for you I believe.

Brian.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 12:31:30 pm »

I have tried everything you said.  By getting rid of the Upmixing & Downmixing I have been able to get rid of the surround info in the rear when playing 2CH. 8)  It is still adding audible center channel info when playing 5.0 with 5.1 setting, no matter what the settings.  Source Number of Channels does not work at all with 5.0, just 5.1 and 2.0.  This needs to be fixed as it should work.  Much thanks for all the help.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 01:20:31 pm »

It is still adding audible center channel info when playing 5.0 with 5.1 setting, no matter what the settings.

5.0 is Front L/R, Rear L/R and Center - 5 channel in all. Its meant to have audio in the center channel. MC is not "generating" anything.
Even more so, it would never do that if you disable upmixing/downmixing, so if you are hearing audio from the center, then it was in the original file.

And no, source number of channels is not guaranteed to work in every combination, as many devices simply do not like a variety of channel layouts, which is why you can configure a fixed layout and then decide if you want upmixing or not.
HDMI is rather stupid when it comes to any non-standard layouts, and using it with something like 5.0 is just going to cause trouble.

Saying "it plays in foobar" is also not particularly helpful, as there is an extremely long list of settings that influence things, and by default foobar doesn't even have an exclusive mode output plugin and uses the Windows Audio Mixer (which you could do in MC as well by picking DirectSound).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 01:40:20 pm »

5.0 is Front L/R, Rear L/R and Center - 5 channel in all. Its meant to have audio in the center channel. MC is not "generating" anything.
Even more so, it would never do that if you disable upmixing/downmixing, so if you are hearing audio from the center, then it was in the original file.

And no, source number of channels is not guaranteed to work in every combination, as many devices simply do not like a variety of channel layouts, which is why you can configure a fixed layout and then decide if you want upmixing or not.
HDMI is rather stupid when it comes to any non-standard layouts, and using it with something like 5.0 is just going to cause trouble.

I am playing The Best Of the Doors SACD By Audio Fidelity.  It is a 4 Channel Quadraphonic Recording from 1973.  The Fifth Channel is there, but is empty (No Sound Recorded on it) (verified in Audacity)  I should never hear anything from the Center Channel.  I have the Same issue with the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and Dark Side Quad Mixes that came with The Immersion Box Sets., Yes they are 5.0 Files, but the center channel contains no data.  I should hear nothing from the center on any of these recordings.  I do not think this is a HDMI issue at all.  Foobar will play these files properly with no special settings.  All that is needed with Foobar is the SACD-DSF Plugin and the WASAPI Plug in and that is it.  They play with all correct speaker assignments and no audio from the Center.  No remapping, just install plugins and play files.  To me this eliminates HDMI issues and File channel assignment issues.   Others are complaining of this same 5.0 problem with JRiver MC on other forums.  I guess I do not think it should be this hard to get JRiver to play them properly.  I firmly believe there is a software issue that needs to be addressed, especially in the Play Source Number of Files option, It should be able to just look at the file and play what is there, no matter how many channels, and it is just not doing that.

I do not believe 5.0 is a non standard layout, many movies use this and 4.0 & 3.0 as well.  When these things are played back directly off the disc there are no issues, 2.0, 3.0,4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 7.1 all play fine off the actual disc via HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A3040. The channel lights on my Yamaha change in accordance.  With JRiver, the Reciever shows 5.0, when playing, but no sound out the rear channels. The issue seems to lie in MC only so far as I can tell, it is the only thing that is not playing things other than 2.0 & 5.1 properly.  If Foobar can do it with ease, there is no reason JRiver should not be able to as well.

Is there any other software to try to prove the issue exists ?  Foobar is a well regarded program among the audio community, is there any other software to try in regards to proving things out ?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 04:12:36 pm »

^
If your track is really 4.0 then why do you want to push it as 5.0 ??
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 05:36:00 pm »

I am playing The Best Of the Doors SACD By Audio Fidelity.  It is a 4 Channel Quadraphonic Recording from 1973.  The Fifth Channel is there, but is empty (No Sound Recorded on it) (verified in Audacity)  I should never hear anything from the Center Channel.  I have the Same issue with the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and Dark Side Quad Mixes that came with The Immersion Box Sets., Yes they are 5.0 Files, but the center channel contains no data.  I should hear nothing from the center on any of these recordings.  I do not think this is a HDMI issue at all.  Foobar will play these files properly with no special settings.  All that is needed with Foobar is the SACD-DSF Plugin and the WASAPI Plug in and that is it.  They play with all correct speaker assignments and no audio from the Center.  No remapping, just install plugins and play files.  To me this eliminates HDMI issues and File channel assignment issues.   Others are complaining of this same 5.0 problem with JRiver MC on other forums.  I guess I do not think it should be this hard to get JRiver to play them properly.  I firmly believe there is a software issue that needs to be addressed, especially in the Play Source Number of Files option, It should be able to just look at the file and play what is there, no matter how many channels, and it is just not doing that.

I do not believe 5.0 is a non standard layout, many movies use this and 4.0 & 3.0 as well.  When these things are played back directly off the disc there are no issues, 2.0, 3.0,4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 7.1 all play fine off the actual disc via HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A3040. The channel lights on my Yamaha change in accordance.  With JRiver, the Reciever shows 5.0, when playing, but no sound out the rear channels. The issue seems to lie in MC only so far as I can tell, it is the only thing that is not playing things other than 2.0 & 5.1 properly.  If Foobar can do it with ease, there is no reason JRiver should not be able to as well.

Is there any other software to try to prove the issue exists ?  Foobar is a well regarded program among the audio community, is there any other software to try in regards to proving things out ?

I am still at a loss.  Playing 5 channel SACD rips (metadata says Channels =5) causes zero problems for me with the DSP Studio output setting at 5.1.  Similarly, 5.1 rips (metadata says Channels =6) causes no problems with the same 5.1 output setting.

I do use WASAPI output to Dirac and then to my USB DAC from Dirac. I formerly used HDMI to my prepro, but I do not recall there ever being an issue. Friends still use HDMI from JR successfully with 5 or 5.1 rips.  However, I do currently use JR for bass management, as do my friends.  But, that made no difference via HDMI output AFAIK.

I do not begin to understand how JRiver would possibly overlay and replace a present, but silent, center channel from a 4.0 to 5.0 remaster with a new mix at playback time of a newly derived center channel signal.

In any case, Source Number of Channels can cause problems in certain circumstances.  Leave the DSP Studio output setting at 5.1 until you get this resolved or use my Zoneswitch suggestion for 5.1/7.1 from a previous post.

And, I do not think we really care that much how Foobar deals with this.  JRiver channel assignment works fine for me with thousands of 2.0, 5.0, 5.1 and 7.1 rips using just the two Zoneswitch zones.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 07:54:33 pm »

I played the 4.0 ISO that you sent me with no change in any setting (basically, output channels set to 5.1).  No problem as it played via L, R, LS and RS.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 09:37:29 pm »

If your track is really 4.0 then why do you want to push it as 5.0 ??

For SACD, I believe the minimum Channels for Multi-track are 5, so when they are using Quadraphonic 4 Channel source material, the center channel is encoded on the Disc, but has no data in it.  During playback, the center channel silent as it is just empty.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 09:27:08 am »

It seems that the disc plays fine on Kal's system.  Other Mch discs play fine on mine.  If there were a fundamental bug in JRiver's output channel assignments, I also think many others would have reported it long before now.  So, there must be something peculiar in your setup if you are still having a problem.

My suggestion in trying to track your problem down is for you carefully and exactly to list all - 100% - of the setup parameters in DSP Studio, except for any sampling rate conversions, which should not be related to the problem you describe.  Also, please describe your system component layout in detail.

blgentry

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 09:37:51 am »

Living Stereo,

Is it possible that your AVR or pre-pro has a processing mode that's being used?  Like "really great surround #3" or some other processing mode that "enhances" or creates multi-channel surround?

Brian.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 01:01:47 pm »

It seems that the disc plays fine on Kal's system.  Other Mch discs play fine on mine.  If there were a fundamental bug in JRiver's output channel assignments, I also think many others would have reported it long before now.  So, there must be something peculiar in your setup if you are still having a problem.

My suggestion in trying to track your problem down is for you carefully and exactly to list all - 100% - of the setup parameters in DSP Studio, except for any sampling rate conversions, which should not be related to the problem you describe.  Also, please describe your system component layout in detail.
If I am not mistaken, the OP is talking about the dsf file ripped from the SACD itself. My copy of this disc plays just fine, but the file played from my computer through JRiver Mediacenter does just what he is talking about....both in the player and also when it is networked to my Oppo  103 or receiver.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 03:32:06 pm »

I do not have the DSF rip or the original disc, though Kal says that rip plays fine on his 5.1 system. The OP further says that 5.0 rips do not play correctly in channel assignments, although they and 5.1 rips play properly for Kal and for me, as well as others.

I still think we need more detailed info from you and others having a problem as to the exact details of your playback parameters and systems.  Otherwise, it is just a time wasting guessing game.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 04:49:43 pm »

I am in the process of going through my whole system right now and will report back later.

Just to clarify, I can play 2.0 and 5.1 DSF files properly, 5.0 DSF files are the problem, (have not tried 3.0 yet). I use a dedicated Music Server that is PC based and running Windows 10 with a AMD 6 Core 3.0 Ghz Processor.  The Music Server feeds my Yamaha RX-A3040 via HDMI from a ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 Low Profile 4GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express Card.  The Yamaha is in Straight Mode, no processing. The rips were done via a Oppo BDP-105 and the use of ISO-2-DSD from Sonore.

blgentry

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 05:29:57 pm »

The rips were done via a Oppo BDP-105 and the use of ISO-2-DSD from Sonore.

Whoa!  I just read 4 pages of a thread at CA on this.  You can rip SACDs with certain Oppo and Pioneer players!  This is news to me.

Brian.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »

OK...I have done as Living Stereo by trying with another software player (foobar) and it plays properly.
I only have 1 other Quad disc.... Mahavishnu Birds Of Fire. I am in the process of ripping this now and will report back shortly.
*****just finished with Birds of Fire.....same thing..it will not play

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 09:54:35 pm »

Ok, I think I have some success to report.  I went through my entire system, checked all speaker and wiring connections.  Did not find anything wrong, but who knows.  I then removed JRiver MC and did a complete clean install and I think I have it working.

I have it set in DSP Studio to Output 5.1 with no Upmixing or Downmixing.  This time it seems to be working, no sound from the center with 5.0 (4ch material).  5.1 and 2.0 seem to work as well.  I have absolutely no explanation for this, as I used these settings before.

Now, when I set it  to Source Number of Channels, the behavior is as it was, 5.1 and 2.0 work fine and 5.0 does not play the surround channels at all.

A few observations:

When Using the 5.1 Output, I notice the lights for all six channels come on my receiver regardless of actual channels being played.  If playing 2ch material, all Six channels are lit up on the front panel of the Yamaha.  When using Source Number Of Channels, then the channel lights light up in accordance to the actual channels being played.  I tried this with Foobar as well, when using Foobar,  all formats play properly and the correct channel lights on the Receiver light up depending on how many channels are actually being played.

It would seem that in 5.1 Mode MC is creating a 5.1 Channel container to send to the receiver regardless of the amount of channels being used.  This seems like a great work around for the issues associated with telling it to use Source Number of Channels, but it is a workaround.  I personally think The Source Number of Channels option needs to be fixed so that it plays only what the file has in it, and sends only what is necessary, and not a flag to turn on all the amps even if no signal will be sent to all of them, which 5.1 Mode seems to do.  I guess the Source Number Of Channels needs to be fixed to properly see any combination of channels properly, weather it is the popular 5.1 & 2.0 or the not so popular 5.0.   I hope the development team will fix this in the near future.  It would really reduce the amount of confusion getting things to work as expected.

Also I am not sure why JRSS Mixing is set as default and as the recommended choice.  I think this has added a lot of confusion to many people.  No Upmixing or Downmixing should be the Default setting.

Just my opinion.

Much thanks to everybody who has been helping me with all this.  

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 11:26:31 am »

Glad you got your problem sorted out and fixed.  And, thanks for posting your resolution.

As I said before, the Source Number of Channels setting has also been troublesome for me, as I am sure it has been for others.  So, I do not use it.  I use Zoneswitch instead between 5.1 and 7.1 fixed output zones in DSP Studio, and that works perfectly for me.

But, I saw the JR channel mapping issues discussed in a thread here back in 2011.  A decision was made then after discussion and user input for how to implement it. It may not have been the optimum decision based on accurate knowledge of how recording producers were using the Channels metadata on the disc itself.  They seem to use Channels = 5 for 5.0, 6 for 5.1 and 8 for 7.1, based on a quick view of my library.  (I have never seen a 7.0 disc.)  They also seem to add null surround or center channels on the disc for 3.0 and 4.0 playback, using Channels = 5.  Stereo, of course, has Channels = 2.  So, there is an industry-wide difference between the integer specification (2,5,6 and 8 is all I have seen) used in Channels in recorded metadata and the way that we commonly refer to the output system layout (2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 7.1, plus maybe a few other possibilities).  The two schemes do not quite mesh, and the only way for JR to know what output channel alignment to use is in the output spec you apply in DSP Studio.  Incidentally, there may possibly also be some oddball discs out there that use the channel alignment and Channels metadata differently.  I hope I never encounter any.

Bottom line, though, the current functioning may not be to your liking, but I think changing it at this point might cause a world of problems for existing JR users, since it has been the way it is for over 5 years.  And, there is an available solution that makes sense if you understand the issue.  However, Source Number of Channels as the DSP Studio output spec, easy to use as it is, may lure people into making the wrong choice for Mch unknowingly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up