INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Radio streaming  (Read 4756 times)

gweefry

• Recent member
BBC Radio streaming
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

The URLs for streaming, eg http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8, work fine on MC21 but cause 22 to hang.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: BBC Radio streaming
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 02:42:21 am »

I use the address inside the m3u8 file, and these are OK in MC22. There might be a problem with the playlist parsing, I can't test that now, but the direct address works for playback....

http://as-hls-uk-live.edgesuite.net/pool_7/live/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d320000.m3u8?dvr_window_length=24

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:28:59 am »

Thanks for that.  Yes, it does work from inside MC22, but I have a couple of shortcuts set up on the taskbar to trigger the stations (MC21.exe /Play "http...") and they don't seem to like working with the alternative URLs.  Not an MC22 issue as they don't work with 21 either.

Think I'll stick with 21 and the original URLs until these issues are ironed out.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:03:25 am »

Just wondering whether there's been any progress with the parsing issue (assuming that this is the problem).

Steve

gweefry

• Recent member
Access to BBC streams
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:30:41 am »

I'm trying to play BBC radio URLs such as http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8

There's no problem with MC21 but MC22 doesn't seem to be able to parse the URLs.

It was suggested that I use the contained direct address but that doesn't work as I trigger the stations through MC from a taskbar shortcut which won't work with the direct address.

I wonder if this problem could be addressed as I'd like to start using MC22 which I've upgraded to but can't currently use.

Thank you.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC22.exe /Play issue?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 10:33:47 am »

As I was actually in front of an MC for a change, I had another look at this for you.

Now, I never really used MC this way, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but, the issue you are describing is NOT limited to BBC streams.

Local files do not play either.
From the Windows Run dialogue,
Code: [Select]
MC22.exe /play "D:\Music\flac\Admiral Fallow\Boots Met My Face\11 - The Sad Clown Cast.flac"Does nothing other than launch MC, and add the specified track to playing now. Nothing else.

With MC already running, a second run of the command replaces the playing now list, and playback begins.
This is the same regardless of the target being a BBC stream or a local file.

A developer will need to chip in now as I am not sure if this will be considered 'broken'.
A workaround, if it helps, is to run media server. Set it run at Windows startup (Tools > Options > Startup> Windows Startup > Media Server). It places a low footprint MC running in the system tray (or notification area I think they're calling it now :)) and then, "MC22.exe /Play" will work as expected. Not ideal, but might at least get you running untill a developer can respond?

-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:37:06 am »

Local files do not play either.
From the Windows Run dialogue,
Code: [Select]
MC22.exe /play "D:\Music\flac\Admiral Fallow\Boots Met My Face\11 - The Sad Clown Cast.flac"Does nothing other than launch MC, and add the specified track to playing now. Nothing else.

I can't reproduce that.

I do that command (with an APE file) and it just starts playing perfectly.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:49:20 am »

Works for me too, but only if MC (or media server) is already running?

If the command involves launching MC, MC launches, and the file is added to playing now, but nothing plays.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:40 pm »

A workaround, if it helps, is to run media server. Set it run at Windows startup (Tools > Options > Startup> Windows Startup > Media Server). It places a low footprint MC running in the system tray (or notification area I think they're calling it now :)) and then, "MC22.exe /Play" will work as expected.

I'm afraid I can't get this to work - MC22 hangs as before whether this URL is triggered externally or internally, even with Media Server running.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:16 am »

Without wishing to be awkward, I wonder whether it would be possible to have some resolution on this issue.  I bought the upgrade to  MC22 in good faith that existing functionality would be maintained.  As it has not, one of the prime uses to which I put the program is no longer available and I cannot therefore make use of MC22.

I would, of course, prefer that the functionality is restored as I have been a supporter of MC for some years and have so far been very pleased with it.  If, however, the developers do not see that this is an issue which they wish to address, perhaps one of the admins can point me in the direction where I can get a refund for this unusable upgrade.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:09 am »

Given that this forum appears to be the only way to communicate with JRiver management, I wonder if I might be given the courtesy of a reply?

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:49:57 am »

It seems likely to be an issue with your setup.

I've tried all those links in MC22.0.32 and they play fine here. Also play if they're run from the start menu.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:07:16 am »

BillT,

Many thanks for your intervention.  I've done a complete uninstall/reinstall of V22 and find that the functionality is restored - I'm grateful for your suggestion that the problem was with my setup.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up