INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still no guide with OTA  (Read 5258 times)

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
Still no guide with OTA
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:14:18 pm »

With v.21 I had issues with the guide not populating with OTA.  That was fixed during the last versions. Now with V.22, there's still no OTA guide.  This should be really simple as all the guide information goes right along with the programming. But for some reason you want me to use a third-party program to fill in the blank's. I know there's a lot of other things to work on but boy it would be nice if the OTA guide would populate.
Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Still no guide with OTA
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:17:23 am »

With v.21 I had issues with the guide not populating with OTA.  That was fixed during the last versions. Now with V.22, there's still no OTA guide.  This should be really simple as all the guide information goes right along with the programming. But for some reason you want me to use a third-party program to fill in the blank's. I know there's a lot of other things to work on but boy it would be nice if the OTA guide would populate.

You're going to need to provide a little more info. What Country/State (USA?) are you in?

Regarding using third-party programs, well, JRiver uses third-party programs (madVR, LAV, mc2xml), there's no reason to expect JRiver to write its own code for every aspect of MC.
If your using the built-in (third-party) program mc2xml, MC will generally work very well to get you the basic Guide info. Some like to use a paid subscription (i.e PercData or Schedules Direct) for enhanced data. It's nice that MC provides options.

What is happening on your setup? I assume you are getting the popup window where you enter your Zipcode and type of Guide data (OTA, cable, etc.). Is this step working?

Also try to run MC22 in Admin mode once on a new install (right click on MC22 Icon and select "Run as Administer"). It seems there are some components of MC that don't get written to registry unless in Admin mode. At least that's my take on it. But it won't hurt to try.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:52:57 am »

I live in Bend, Oregon and am having intermittent issues with the guide automatically updating.

I thought I had sorted it out by granting exceptions in Windows Firewall and Windows defender, but it hasn't automatically updated in the last 4 days.  (It was updating automatically prior to the current problem.)  It will update when I do a manual update.

The only security software I'm using is Windows Defender/Firewall.

This is most likely on my end - I'll run through the setup again when I have the time - but I sure wish the guide update was a little more idiot-proof, as it is no fun being the idiot!  :)
Perseverance wins out in the end!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 03:25:48 pm »

I live in Bend, Oregon and am having intermittent issues with the guide automatically updating.

I thought I had sorted it out by granting exceptions in Windows Firewall and Windows defender, but it hasn't automatically updated in the last 4 days.  (It was updating automatically prior to the current problem.)  It will update when I do a manual update.

The only security software I'm using is Windows Defender/Firewall.

This is most likely on my end - I'll run through the setup again when I have the time - but I sure wish the guide update was a little more idiot-proof, as it is no fun being the idiot!  :)

This sounds like the data provider is sloppy about updating.  Most likely, mc2xml does not automatically update because there is no new data to be downloaded.  Manual update gives you an appearance of having succeeded because we reset settings upon failure, in which case mc2xml will gladly do a complete re-download, even if there is no new data.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »

OK - I'll test that.  I can check to see the last day for which I've got data after which there was no auto update - then do a manual update to see if there is more info.

If there is more data, then that would confirm a problem.  Right?

I'll try tomorrow morning if I show no update over night.

Three or four days with no new data sounds like a long period.  I'm a little dubious, but I've been wrong more times than I can count!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 07:02:15 pm »

OK - I'll test that.  I can check to see the last day for which I've got data after which there was no auto update - then do a manual update to see if there is more info.

If there is more data, then that would confirm a problem.  Right?

Possibly.  If automatic update does not succeed, check how far into future a channel has programming data.  Then do a manual update.  If you get more data (further into the future), then there may be a problem.

Three or four days with no new data sounds like a long period.  I'm a little dubious, but I've been wrong more times than I can count!

I had that happening near the beginning of July.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 09:02:04 am »

OK - it is updating now.

Confusing . . .

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »

Regarding using third-party programs, well, JRiver uses third-party programs (madVR, LAV, mc2xml), there's no reason to expect JRiver to write its own code for every aspect of MC.
If your using the built-in (third-party) program mc2xml, MC will generally work very well to get you the basic Guide info. Some like to use a paid subscription (i.e PercData or Schedules Direct) for enhanced data. It's nice that MC provides options.

What is happening on your setup? I assume you are getting the popup window where you enter your Zipcode and type of Guide data (OTA, cable, etc.). Is this step working?

Also try to run MC22 in Admin mode once on a new install (right click on MC22 Icon and select "Run as Administer"). It seems there are some components of MC that don't get written to registry unless in Admin mode. At least that's my take on it. But it won't hurt to try.

Of course, I have done all that many times without success. However, the mc2xml  version launched within JRiver is v1.4 as it has been for a very long time. I used the current version of mc2xml v1.6 and it works with colors! You need to update to the current mc2xml version used within JRiver MC22 to the currently available version of mc2xml.
Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.
Pages: [1]   Go Up