INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing sound at start of playback  (Read 3816 times)

googly

• Recent member
Losing sound at start of playback
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:32 pm »

With MC 22 and 21 I have the same issue - loss of the initial few milliseconds of a song (using WASAPI). Adding a period of silence at the start (Options) has no effect but using DSP Studio - Output Format solves the issue. I set to 5.1 and do no output encoding or upmixing/downmixing. I would like to not do this as converting stereo to 5.1 channels seems to be overhead that I don't need.
I also noted what has already been reported that audio is analyzed after import even if the check is off.
And I can reiterate that both MC 21 and 22 do not refresh immediately when auto import finds files have been removed .... this bug first appeared in MC21. AP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Losing sound at start of playback
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 01:23:37 am »

This is probably the device you're playing to.  It has a little trouble switching.

googly

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:27:03 pm »

Ok but that is no help to me. It has not always done this. Foobar does not do it.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:27:59 am »

With MC 22 and 21 I have the same issue - loss of the initial few milliseconds of a song (using WASAPI). Adding a period of silence at the start (Options) has no effect but using DSP Studio - Output Format solves the issue. I set to 5.1 and do no output encoding or upmixing/downmixing. I would like to not do this as converting stereo to 5.1 channels seems to be overhead that I don't need.
I also noted what has already been reported that audio is analyzed after import even if the check is off.
And I can reiterate that both MC 21 and 22 do not refresh immediately when auto import finds files have been removed .... this bug first appeared in MC21. AP

are you on AVR receiver? if yes wellcome to the silent stream bug, if you not try to custom your buffer values

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:18:41 am »

Some receivers and DAC's take a little time to adjust.  Normally, playing a second of silence should fix that.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:41:34 am »

Some receivers and DAC's take a little time to adjust.  Normally, playing a second of silence should fix that.

that! indeed! i believe more or less all the receivers do that! hope someday we see a vga driver fix or a firmware update to fix this issue

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:00:57 am »

but using DSP Studio - Output Format solves the issue. I set to 5.1 and do no output encoding or upmixing/downmixing. I would like to not do this as converting stereo to 5.1 channels seems to be overhead that I don't need.

Are you playing via HDMI?  If so, having 5.1 channels, where 3.1 of them are empty is the least of your worries.  HDMI is a far more convoluted and screwed up way of transmitting audio than any other method I'm aware of.  If you are actually concerned about sound quality in 2 channel, you should try another connector type (USB, optical or coaxial digital).  If it sounds just fine to you, then it probably is!  So be happy that you've found the fix and enjoy it.  :)

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 02:29:34 pm »

Adding a period of silence at the start (Options) has no effect but using DSP Studio - Output Format solves the issue.
If you set "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization" to 10 seconds, does the start of playback still get cut off?
If it does, it seems that the low level of noise that JRiver currently plays may be too quiet.
This option currently plays noise at roughly -120dB, changing that to something like -90dB may fix this.

Ok but that is no help to me. It has not always done this. Foobar does not do it.
You're probably using different types of output from each player if you're seeing different results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up