INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On Playback I receive a parse error  (Read 4202 times)

mgreg123

• Junior Woodchuck
On Playback I receive a parse error
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:39:16 pm »

How would I go about fixing a parse error?

Thanks,

Michael G

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: On Playback I receive a parse error
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »

I've never heard of this before.  Please provide some details and maybe a screen shot of the error message.

Brian.

mgreg123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:17:19 am »

Brian,

Thanks for responding. When selecting certain Blu Ray's file to play that I've recently ripped I get the following error failed to open parse file (hr=0x80004005) as shown in the screenshot. Two recent Movies are 13 Hours and Risen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael G

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:28:58 am »

Hmm.  I know very little about MC's support for native disc formats like BVMD.  I know that I see reports from time to time of things not working correctly with these native file formats.  I always recommend that you rip using a program that can produce an MKV file that is decrypted.  Like MakeMKV.  That way it will be compatible with pretty much every player (including MC) and shouldn't have any unusual problems.

Maybe someone else here has more insight on BVMDs.  I say rip it to MKV and be done with it.  Good luck.

Brian.

mgreg123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:05:40 am »

Brian,

I'm going take your advise. Here are my last questions. Does MKV take the place of AnyDVD HD and is there any difference in quality? Also I have PowerDVD 12 Ultra as another option. Which should I choose?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Michael G

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:30:12 am »

I'm going take your advise. Here are my last questions. Does MKV take the place of AnyDVD HD and is there any difference in quality?

As I understand it, AnyDVD rips the native file format, leaving the encryption in place and all of the structure including menus, extra footage, and that kind of thing.  I believe AnyDVD is required for playback also, since the disk structure is still encrypted.

MakeMKV decrypts the video stream, or streams, and puts it into an MKV container.  As such, it can be played by almost any player, because it's decrypted.  It is 100% full quality; only the encryption gets stripped out.  However, MKVs are just audio/video files.  They do not support menus or anything like that.  So, no menus.  Also, if you want access to other video segments on the disk, like "making of" or other special features, you have to rip those to individual MKV files.  This isn't hard or anything.  It just requires some decision making and thought.  For 95% of my movies, I just rip the main title (the movie) and leave the other stuff behind.

Also I have PowerDVD 12 Ultra as another option. Which should I choose?

I'm not familiar with the differences between AnyDVD, PowerDVD, and MakeMKV.  I've only used MakeMKV.  Again, maybe someone else with experience will have more to say.

Good luck!

Brian.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:47 am »

PowerDVD is a player (like JRiver MC). It has a one benefit over MC in that it can read/open BD menus. It has a downside too, and that is that PowerDVD is a "licensed player" (so it has to follow all the industry rules about protecting the content) - meaning you can play a ripped or copied movie on it (unless the encryption is first removed). It only works with "store bought" movies, or ripped/copied moves where the encryption has been removed.

AnyDVD (and AnyDVD HD for Blu-rays) will remove the encryption on the fly, so you can insert any disk in your computer's player and it will work. You can use AnyDVD HD to remove the encryption from the disk as you copy/rip it so the copied version will play anywhere.

MakeMKV will also remove the encryption during a rip - but it doesn't have the "on the fly" ability.  And the other things Brian mentioned about menus. Also MakeMKV does not have a workaround yet for Cinavia (AnyDVD HD with CloneBD does, or you get around this issue using an unlicensed player)

I forgot to ask, but are you playing your BD movie (13 and Risen) on a MC Client machine? If so, you need to map the client's drive to the server drive where the movie is located. Also, if the audio is not setup right you can get the error message too - it's not always related to the video side.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:37:14 am »

Also MakeMKV does not have a workaround yet for Cinavia (AnyDVD HD with CloneBD does, or you get around this issue using an unlicensed player)

But this has no effect on MC whatsoever.  MC ignores Cinavia.  Or am I wrong?

Brian.

mgreg123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »

Both Movies Risen and 13 hours were played from the Media server not a client.

Thanks,
Michael G

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:42 pm »

But this has no effect on MC whatsoever.  MC ignores Cinavia.  Or am I wrong?

Brian.

Yes. Since MC is an unlicensed player, it doesn't care about displaying Cinavia message. I was just pointing out the differences (and it would be relevant if OP wanted to use PowerDVD for whatever reason).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:16:42 pm »

Both Movies Risen and 13 hours were played from the Media server not a client.

Thanks,
Michael G

I don't save my movies as BDMV so your problem might be related to something else - but check the audio setup too. Are you setup to use WASAPI? If so, go to the Windows Sound properties and be sure the setup is correct to play the correct format/channels under the Advance Tab. Then in MC Audio (Tools>Options>Audio) and look under DSP to see if the setting there match your output device/speaker setup. For example is the movie is 7.1, does your setup support that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up