INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual Playlist Album Grouping - can't figure this one out.  (Read 2219 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
Manual Playlist Album Grouping - can't figure this one out.
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:00:40 pm »

I'm hoping there's a way to do this, but I can't figure it out. 

In my Smartlists, there is a Group By display option in the playlist tab drop-down at the top.  I can then group the tracks by album.

In manual playlists, I find that this Group By option is not there and all the track appear in one non-grouped list.  I fixed the higher-level playlist folder so that it Groups By album, but that doesn't seem to affect the manual playlists. 

How can I get manual playlists to Group By and Sort By albums?

Bill

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Manual Playlist Album Grouping - can't figure this one out.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:21:57 am »

Manual playlists are by definition, ordered lists.  Meaning, you put them in order and that's how they stay.  You can sort them any way you want using the columns.  But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.  You can make the sorting order "stick" by renumbering the list with "update order".  You probably knew that too.

What is it you are trying to achieve with grouping?  If you're trying to see a list of all albums in your playlist, you can do that with a Panes view that shows you playlists.  A Panes view supports Group By, so you can use that and pick the playlist you want from the Panes.  This may or may not get you what you want.

Is this more of a visual thing, or a maintenance thing, or ... ?

Brian.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:50:31 am »

Thanks, Brian - what would we all do without you!

It's just a visual thing, and you're right - I can get the visual I want through the Panes view - once I add Playlists to the tabs at the top.

It struck me as odd that I can have two playlists side-by-side on the navigation pane - one manual, one smart - and can't get them to look the same (i.e., group by/sort by album). 

Bill

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 09:10:10 am »

\
It's just a visual thing, and you're right - I can get the visual I want through the Panes view - once I add Playlists to the tabs at the top.

I make rather large playlists of full albums:  10 to 30 albums at a time.  Using the Panes view makes it really nice to see, at a glance, what albums are in a specific playlist.  Especially when you use Album Thumbnails view!  You can also use Panes tagging to remove entire albums from a playlist this way, which is also very convenient.

It struck me as odd that I can have two playlists side-by-side on the navigation pane - one manual, one smart - and can't get them to look the same (i.e., group by/sort by album). 

Agreed; I'm not even sure why the Group By is there for either one (and not both).  There's probably some historical reason for it that I'm not aware of.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up