INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Media Center Library and File Directory  (Read 2782 times)

touchvintagemusic

• Recent member
Managing Media Center Library and File Directory
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:01:11 pm »

My external hard drive has all of my music in one folder. There are subfolders by artist. Within media center, under artists, all of my artists and corresponding albums and songs have traditionally shown up, even if I save the song file in the main folder, rather than a sub folder with the artists name. In other words, I have hundreds of files in the folder Music 2015. Many are in sub folders by artist, and many others are not. Historicaly the files have appeared in my media center library under artists, and then sublisting, artist/album/song name. This is no longer happening. When I add a file dirrectly to Music 2015, it does not appear in my Media Center Library. I am running Media Center 21 on Windows 10. What am I doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Managing Media Center Library and File Directory
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:28:24 pm »

Try setting up Auto Import under the Tools menu.

touchvintagemusic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:35:33 am »

Thanks for your quick response.  I have/had already gone to Tools > Import > Configure Import; it then shows under folders selected E:\2015 Music\, which is where all of the  artist folders and direct files that I described sit. Is there anyway to verify that the Auto-Configuration option is in fact set up correctly

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:49 am »

Auto import might be turned off:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background > (checked for ON)

What type of files are these new files?  Is your auto import definition set up to import those types of files?

Brian.

touchvintagemusic

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 03:28:04 pm »

It seems like it's on. When I follow the path you describe all three options are checked and I hit save to leave that screen. I noticed this when adding new files, but I'm not sure how many feels are sitting out there not finding a "home" in the library. FOr example, when I open media center, it shows several albums under Jack White, but new Jack White files dont seem to be added to/recognized by media center. Yet there is no Jack White folder at all as a sub-folder t0 Music 2015. I have run the Auto-Import exercise that presents itself in the bottom left corner.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »

^ I wonder if some of your music isn't tagged properly.  Let's take your Jack White example.  You say you have new files by Jack White that don't show up in MC.

Go to Audio > Files and navigate to the place where the Jack White files are.  See if you see them in the files view.  If so, what does the Album, Artist, etc show in this view?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up