INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have JMC 22 for Qnap?  (Read 14230 times)

supernait

Have JMC 22 for Qnap?
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:18:56 am »

:'(

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Have JMC 22 for Qnap?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:44 am »

:'(
We want to make sure QNAP gets the most recent MC 21 stable version up first.

Jdunbar

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:41:51 am »

Any timeline on v21 update and when 22 QNAP release to be expected?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:32:43 am »

Any timeline on v21 update and when 22 QNAP release to be expected?
Once it's in their hands we just need to wait for them to push it. It's been almost 2 weeks so I think we'd see it soon.

No timeline on MC22 yet...

elvanor

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 02:55:17 am »

Will the ogg fix be backported to MC 21? I need a version with the fix that I can install on my QNAP...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 09:44:57 am »

Will the ogg fix be backported to MC 21? I need a version with the fix that I can install on my QNAP...
Yes, it was submitted Friday afternoon..

Jdunbar

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »

So what version should be available in the qnap AppStore now?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 11:18:58 am »

So what version should be available in the qnap AppStore now?
I'd hope to see 21.0.91.
They seem to be pretty slow on the updates lately...

Jdunbar

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 05:08:52 pm »

Is there a changelog?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:16:42 am »

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 11:17:44 am »

Forgive the questions - I'm new to MC.  If my MC library is on my QNAP TS-251:
a) Do I really need to run MC on the NAS?  Or would some other UPnP server suffice, i.e. be able to access the library?
b) Must I run MC21 on my PC?  I've been running MC22 for about a week but having problems updating library details from the PC.  (From HDStation is fine, except for the tiny writing.)

Thanks,

Rob

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 10:22:56 am »

Forgive the questions - I'm new to MC.  If my MC library is on my QNAP TS-251:
a) Do I really need to run MC on the NAS?  Or would some other UPnP server suffice, i.e. be able to access the library?
b) Must I run MC21 on my PC?  I've been running MC22 for about a week but having problems updating library details from the PC.  (From HDStation is fine, except for the tiny writing.)

Thanks,

Rob
The answer depends on how you want to access your media.

Let's say you are only interested in playing your music from the NAS to whatever output device (Gizmo, JRemote, a DLNA renderer on the network or an audio device on the NAS) and your files are already on the NAS then just running MC on the NAS would be a simple solution.

If you are doing something more complex (like you want to use MC as a client on a PC) then you may want a different solution. If you were for example using a PC based MC to do all of the work, you might just make the share on the NAS with the media files available to MC on the PC. This is a very straightforward solution.

You could also access the files on the QNAP server with MC or another DLNA server on the QNAP and connect to it from the PC. If you do this however, you will get more functionality with MC as the server on the QNAP because it will use MC's library server to access the files as opposed to accessing them as a DLNA client from the MC PC. There are limitations in the DLNA protocol that become apparent when you use that method of accessing the files vs library server or as a share.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 03:30:23 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

What I was hoping to do (but not having much fun with):
- Put my music on the NAS.
- Play the music on my HiFi using a streamer like Cambridge Audio's CXN.  This unit uses the library on the NAS.
- Manage the music library from my Win10 PC, including ripping CDs, editing tags, etc.

My current set-up is with MC21 on the NAS and both MC21 & MC22 on my PC.  (You maybe overlooked my question, which meant to say "must the PC & NAS run the same version of MC?")
My current problems/frustrations are:
- It is very difficult to use MC21 on the NAS via my TV - partly because each window seems to be maximised (OK/Cancel in bottom right corner) and partly because I wear varifocals...
- I don't seem to be able to add album art from the PC.  There is no pop-up telling me I shouldn't or that it won't work, etc.  It just has no effect.
- Today I gave up on the editing and tried ripping a CD only to get "Ripping is unavailable"...

I really want this to work but I'm on the verge of ditching the trial install.
It's a good job JR allow 30 days trial license as there is no way I'd work all this out in a week!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 05:09:14 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

What I was hoping to do (but not having much fun with):
- Put my music on the NAS.
- Play the music on my HiFi using a streamer like Cambridge Audio's CXN.  This unit uses the library on the NAS.
- Manage the music library from my Win10 PC, including ripping CDs, editing tags, etc.

My current set-up is with MC21 on the NAS and both MC21 & MC22 on my PC.  (You maybe overlooked my question, which meant to say "must the PC & NAS run the same version of MC?")
My current problems/frustrations are:
- It is very difficult to use MC21 on the NAS via my TV - partly because each window seems to be maximised (OK/Cancel in bottom right corner) and partly because I wear varifocals...
- I don't seem to be able to add album art from the PC.  There is no pop-up telling me I shouldn't or that it won't work, etc.  It just has no effect.
- Today I gave up on the editing and tried ripping a CD only to get "Ripping is unavailable"...

I really want this to work but I'm on the verge of ditching the trial install.
It's a good job JR allow 30 days trial license as there is no way I'd work all this out in a week!

You need to run the same version of MC on the NAS and PC if you are using Library server to connect from either to the other (that means you selected the remote library in MC under the Playing Now tree).

The way X is setup on the QNAP forces all of the subwindows to fullscreen mode. We aren't able to prevent that.

If you want to run MC on the QNAP to serve the files to your various devices directly from there you should be able to do it the way you describe, ripping on the PC to the NAS share as a destination. MC should pick up the changes if auto-import is configured for the share directory.
Not sure why your tag editing isn't working. Are you connecting to MC on the QNAP with authentication or tagging by accessing the files directly as a share?

The other option would be use the second solution in my previous reply: Run MC only on the PC and use the NAS as a file share read/write for MC on the PC (if you want to edit tags, add files, etc). Always make sure you have a backup copy of your music files!

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 02:48:29 pm »

You need to run the same version of MC on the NAS and PC if you are using Library server to connect from either to the other (that means you selected the remote library in MC under the Playing Now tree).
Yes, that is how I've been using it.
If you want to run MC on the QNAP to serve the files to your various devices directly from there you should be able to do it the way you describe, ripping on the PC to the NAS share as a destination. MC should pick up the changes if auto-import is configured for the share directory.
Not sure why your tag editing isn't working. Are you connecting to MC on the QNAP with authentication or tagging by accessing the files directly as a share?
I have been connecting to MC on the QNAP using authentication.
The other option would be use the second solution in my previous reply: Run MC only on the PC and use the NAS as a file share read/write for MC on the PC (if you want to edit tags, add files, etc).
But would this make the MC library available to the audio streamer?
The CXN manual says,
"Note: When using a UPnP server to share your media, the menu structure,
search and selection criteria are determined by that server, not the CXN.
The CXN does not scan entire USB storage devices to build an artist/
track database. It is therefore recommended that audio files are stored in a
structured way by artist and album to facilitate locating tracks."
Maybe this suggests that having MC on the NAS is of little benefit.  Would you agree?

How would I go about using the NAS just as a file sharer in MC on my PC?  Can I tell MC where the remote library is?  If not, could I copy the remote library to my PC and use it (rather than start again)?
Always make sure you have a backup copy of your music files!
The NAS has two 3Gb drives as Raid 1 - hopefully this is good enough...

Thanks again for the help!

PS.  I still can't rip CDs in MC.  The pop-up says, "make sure you are using a local library."  Does this mean I can't use MC on my PC to rip to the library on the NAS??  If so, MC is becoming less & less useful...

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 03:22:46 pm »

Robad,

Personally, I think it's a waste of time and energy for you to try to set up MC on your Qnap.  You would probably be much better off just running MC22 on your PC, and using the NAS purely as storage.  Turn OFF the DNLA server on your NAS too; it will only cause confusion. 

With MC on your PC just about everything should "just work".  The possible exception is your CXN.  Network streamers aren't always totally straight forward to configure and use with MC.  They mostly work fairly well, but some are not very well behaved.  Almost none of them will do everything that a local audio device will do (like a USB DAC for example).

Good luck.

Brian.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 02:26:44 pm »

Thanks blgentry.  I suspect you're right.  The concern is that the CXN is really the reason I'm doing this...

However, I have learnt from this forum and other searching.  I originally assumed the CXN needed to access the library - hence the assumption that I needed MC on the QNAP.
I now realise that the info used is either in the folder structure or the files themselves.  MC looks like a good tool to help set that up.

Rob

PS. When I set the PC version of MC to use the main library it ripped CDs to the QNAP ok.
PPS. At version 22 - am I likely to be upgrading every year??

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »

I originally assumed the CXN needed to access the library - hence the assumption that I needed MC on the QNAP.

I'm not sure what you mean.  The CXN is a UPNP device, and MC *should* be able to push audio to it directly.  So you use the MC interface, or one of it's remotes (like JRemote) and just select the CXN.  Do you already have the CXN?  If so, try it.  If not... well I don't like these devices, but don't let me stop you.

PPS. At version 22 - am I likely to be upgrading every year??

You never have to upgrade if you don't want to.  MC works "forever" after you buy it.  But incremental upgrades are actually pretty cheap:  Around $25, so it's pretty affordable if you want to upgrade.

Brian.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 05:30:10 am »

I'm not sure what you mean.  The CXN is a UPNP device, and MC *should* be able to push audio to it directly.  So you use the MC interface, or one of it's remotes (like JRemote) and just select the CXN. 
Are you saying MC should 'push' when running on the QNAP, or my PC?  Either way, I'm assuming I will normally be controlling the CXN (not MC) and it will 'pull' selected tracks...

What I meant was that I had thought I needed the MC library/database to be on the QNAP for the CXN to find the files/info.  I originally tried QMusic, but it didn't import all the music files - I now think I understand why it didn't acknowledge WAV files.

I don't want to be using the PC and the CXN concurrently - they are in different rooms!
Do you already have the CXN?  If so, try it. 
No.  I'm hoping to get happy with everything else first...
If not... well I don't like these devices, but don't let me stop you.
I would be very interested in your opinion.  You could save me £700!!

Apologies for effectively hijacking this thread!  My initial query was related, I think.  But the conversations have been interesting and informative - for me at least.  :)

Rob

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 10:06:07 am »

Are you saying MC should 'push' when running on the QNAP, or my PC?  Either way, I'm assuming I will normally be controlling the CXN (not MC) and it will 'pull' selected tracks...

You could go either way.  I just don't see the point of doing "pull" when using MC because MC is so sophisticated and has really good remote control apps like JRemote, etc.  MC supports DLNA, but I would never use it as a generic DLNA server unless I had no other choice.

I don't want to be using the PC and the CXN concurrently - they are in different rooms!

You can control MC with JRemote, Gizmo, or EOS on a tablet or a phone.  The PC does not have to be in the same room.

I would be very interested in your opinion.  You could save me £700!!

I'm in the minority here.  I think that network based DACs don't work very well based on the numerous reports I read here every week about various ones that don't do X or Y, or Z, or do A or B or C and no one knows why.  Obviously a bunch of people are happy with network based audio devices.  My own experience, with a very cheap DLNA box, was awful.  It was unusable.  But that's a $99 box from Western Digital, not an expensive dedicated audio device.  Put simply, I know these things are reported to work well, but I would personally never use one.  I would put my Audio PC near my Audio equipment and use a locally connected DAC.  Or, use something like an AES connection, which can be run very far from room to room.  Either way, a direct connection between PC and DAC only.

Again, I'm in the minority with this opinion and that's what it is:  Just my opinion.

Brian.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 10:34:39 am »

You could go either way.  I just don't see the point of doing "pull" when using MC because MC is so sophisticated and has really good remote control apps like JRemote, etc.  MC supports DLNA, but I would never use it as a generic DLNA server unless I had no other choice.

Hmmm, possibly going round in circles a bit here... 
My intention was to use MC to edit metadata, using my PC, with the music files on the QNAP. 
Presumably, to 'push' the files to the CXN I would either need my PC running (which sort of defeats the point of the NAS) or I need MC on the QNAP.
I guess I might get away with MC21 on the QNAP and MC22 on the PC, since they wouldn't be sharing library files.  But I would need a Master license, which might restrict me to MC21 on both.
I think, at least initially, I will try with one of the many free UPnP servers on the QNAP...

I'm in the minority here.  I think that network based DACs don't work very well based on the numerous reports I read here every week about various ones that don't do X or Y, or Z, or do A or B or C and no one knows why.  Obviously a bunch of people are happy with network based audio devices.  My own experience, with a very cheap DLNA box, was awful.  It was unusable.  But that's a $99 box from Western Digital, not an expensive dedicated audio device.  Put simply, I know these things are reported to work well, but I would personally never use one.  I would put my Audio PC near my Audio equipment and use a locally connected DAC.  Or, use something like an AES connection, which can be run very far from room to room.  Either way, a direct connection between PC and DAC only.

Thanks for your honest opinion.  I considered getting a network streamer some years back and concluded they weren't ready yet.  I know they are still evolving, but the CXN looks like a good, usable model.  My personal opinion is that my HiFi and my PC should be independent of each other ;-)

Rob

Patatorz

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 11:32:05 pm »

Hello it seems that JRiver (whatever the version) is not anymore available on qnap app centre....no communication from qnap on what is happening. Any idea ?

robydago

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 06:48:46 am »

@Patatorz

on my QNAP, JRiver MC is available only as an HD station app.
I'm new to QNAP, so I have no idea if it's ever been available as a 'standard' app.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 09:37:54 am »

I had the same problem - had to reinstall HD station and found MC wasn't there.  I found this (from Bob) on another thread:

Here is a link to the last build they posted. You will have to install it manually.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/stable/MediaCenter21_21.0.91_x86_64.qpkg
Here is a link to the latest MC 21 build for QNAP. Same as above, install manually.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter21_21.0.93_x86_64.qpkg

So I'm now running 21.0.93  :)

Rob

synkrotro

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 10:41:08 am »

Rob,

1/ UntiI a few months ago, I was using JRiver through my PC to read the files from my Qnap HS-251 and to my Bel Canto refstream streamer.

Now I am using JRiver installed on the Qnap. No more PC. Conclusion: it sounds better. I am very satisfied of the quality of this solution.

2/ Could you explain to me how to install the .qpkg file, please.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 02:36:17 pm »

Hi synkroto,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away.

My setup is a bit odd now.  I run MC on my PC & the QNAP.  But I have found that I cannot rip CDs to the QNAP library when connected from the PC.  I can rip to the QNAP as a file server, but I have found MC rather slow at this.  So I use dBpowerAMP.  I have MC on the QNAP set to "Run auto-import in background".  But I had to untick "Build thumbnails" as it appears to make MC quit/crash.

- Download the required .qpkg using one of the links above.
- Login to the QNAP, e.g. using 'Qfinder Pro'.
- Click on 'Control Panel', go to 'Applications' and select 'HybridDesk Station'.
- You should see a box labelled "Install Manually". 
- Browse to wherever you stored the .qpkg file and select it.
- Click 'Install'.

If MC is already running on the QNAP you might need to quit it before doing the above.

Rob

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 04:48:19 pm »

@Patatorz

on my QNAP, JRiver MC is available only as an HD station app.

This may not necessarily be true. Look at my comment here:
MC Master License 22 on Qnap

There are alternatives to achieve the end goal out there.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

synkrotro

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:14 am »

Hi Robad,

Thank you very much for your answer.

As you do, I use Dbpoweramp to rip, separately from using MC. I noticed no problem with "Run auto-import" when I go back to MC.

bob

• Administrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up