INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uninstall 21 and the registry  (Read 5156 times)

BadMax

• Recent member
Uninstall 21 and the registry
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:09 am »

I did install 22 and now want to uninstall 21.
I get ask if i want to remove registry entries.
It's not clear to me if this only removes 21 entries?

I don't need to import settings or stuff like this into 22?
The 22 installer automatically gets all settings from 21?

JohnnyFire

Re: Uninstall 21 and the registry
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:46:13 am »

I did install 22 and now want to uninstall 21.
I get ask if i want to remove registry entries.
It's not clear to me if this only removes 21 entries?

I don't need to import settings or stuff like this into 22?
The 22 installer automatically gets all settings from 21?

better use a new clean setup for 22 and make your settings again from the start ccleaner can do the job for cleaning the most staff mate

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:10:50 am »

I've never had a need to use any registry cleaner with MC.

When you upgrade there are two choices, one says to check this box if you are upgrading. The other says check this box if you are removing MC completely and not doing an upgrade. I forget the exact wording but its something like that.

If MC21 is installed and you do the MC22 upgrade you don't need to do any importing it will use the settings from MC21 for MC22.

If you remove MC21 first, then you need to have a backup copy of the MC21 Library saved which you can then import into MC22 (the backup library has all the settings in it).

I always install the new version and leave the old version on my computer (until I'm sure the new version is working well for me).

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:22:23 am »

better use a new clean setup for 22 and make your settings again from the start

There aren't any good reasons I'm aware of to do it that way.  Make a backup and restore if you *must* use a clean machine.  There's no reason to start all settings from the defaults again.  In MC21:  File > Library > Backup Library .  Then put the backup file on the MC22 machine.  File > Library > Restore Library .  Now all of your settings and media metadata are transferred.

But really, there are lots of people that keep 2 or 3 or more versions of MC installed at the same time with no issues.

Brian.

BadMax

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15:29 pm »

ccleaner can do the job for cleaning the most staff mate
CCleaner is good for deleting temp files. Registry cleaner are a myth. Old reg entries don't slow down a PC and this programs can kill your installation.
Also don't put your fingers on stuff like TuneUp Utilities.

But the main question still remains. If i uninstall the old version and select "remove registry entries" what happens.
Do i delete also the settings for the new version or have the versions independent registry entries?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:18:05 pm »

Registry entries are independent for different versions as far as I know.  It's pretty common for people to uninstall old versions after they are comfortable with the new one.

Brian.

JohnnyFire

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »

There aren't any good reasons I'm aware of to do it that way.  Make a backup and restore if you *must* use a clean machine.  There's no reason to start all settings from the defaults again.  In MC21:  File > Library > Backup Library .  Then put the backup file on the MC22 machine.  File > Library > Restore Library .  Now all of your settings and media metadata are transferred.

But really, there are lots of people that keep 2 or 3 or more versions of MC installed at the same time with no issues.

Brian.

if you import the 21 backup settings in 22 will make something a backup folder for 21 ver plus in settings will remain same 21 ver ones, just a personal expirience i do the steps i told above and works perfect..
as for the reg cleaners its the point of view of every person, i use 3 utilities with no problem at all as pc tech i know how it works and i cant explain to anyone that want to know if help to...

JohnnyFire

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 01:05:49 pm »

Registry entries are independent for different versions as far as I know.  It's pretty common for people to uninstall old versions after they are comfortable with the new one.

Brian.

indeed JR doesnt leave uneeded values on uninstall at all tested and checked 100%

JohnnyFire

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 01:07:51 pm »

CCleaner is good for deleting temp files. Registry cleaner are a myth. Old reg entries don't slow down a PC and this programs can kill your installation.
Also don't put your fingers on stuff like TuneUp Utilities.

But the main question still remains. If i uninstall the old version and select "remove registry entries" what happens.
Do i delete also the settings for the new version or have the versions independent registry entries?

as for the myth dont count always on what you read or hear rarely reg cleaner give a small boost but a clean pc is a organized pc
i can go farther if dont get my point

BadMax

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:18 pm »

It's pretty common for people to uninstall old versions after they are comfortable with the new one.
Sure, but to they select "remove registry entries"...
Pages: [1]   Go Up