INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grouping/Folders needed for movie lists  (Read 5167 times)

jsbenson

• Recent member
Grouping/Folders needed for movie lists
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:18 pm »

Hey everyone.  I've had MC for a few months now and love it.

In Theater View (or any view that lists movies) I would find it so helpful if there was a way to group movies together, like all the Star Wars movies for example, and have a single "folder" entry in the list of movies called "Star Wars".  Basically allowing folders on the list views.  This would really help with scaling down the number of movies to navigate through as well as making it look more organized.  Think of very popular movies that have had numerous sequels, like Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR/The Hobbit, etc...I would love a single folder entry for these.

As a programmer I could see giving the user the ability to create a folder, and then use a tag on the movies with a drop down listing the created folders.  In lists, any movie who's "folder" tag is not null, do not show the movie in the main list.

An indicator for folders would be helpful in distinguishing between a movie and a folder.

Any chance for this?

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Grouping/Folders needed for movie lists
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 12:57:25 am »

You can do this and more by customizing Theater View.
My general film view is set up using two expressions.

The first view is an expression view that groups by: TVInfo(SeriesDisplay)
The second view groups with the expression: FormatDate([Date,0],yyyyMMdd) [Name] and displays: [Name]

Then I use the Series tag to assign groups such as James Bond, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58:04 am »

I don't use expressions (so maybe RD's method is easier) but I was able top set up my Movies views using the built-in "Series" field to group Movie sequels into a single folder view that is separate from the non-sequel movies. Just like with TV series.

This is an old post, but the explains the process. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96218.0

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:52 pm »

The second view groups with the expression: FormatDate([Date,0],yyyyMMdd) [Name] and displays: [Name]

Then I use the Series tag to assign groups such as James Bond, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.

Awesome!  Thanks for the directions.

I suspected there was a way to do this with how customizeable MC is.  Much appreciated

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:31 pm »

I don't use expressions (so maybe RD's method is easier) but I was able top set up my Movies views using the built-in "Series" field to group Movie sequels into a single folder view that is separate from the non-sequel movies. Just like with TV series.

This is an old post, but the explains the process. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96218.0

Very cool!  I'll look into this. 

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 02:40:32 pm »

I just use the [Album] field for mine, and sort by Album > date.
If [Album] is empty, they go in the big list of movies, otherwise, they're excluded from that list, and go in the 'box set' view, where they're all grouped by album.

Ya gotta love MC, it's got you covered whichever way you're wired :)
Our favourite view is the "Recent" view. That lists films added in the past seven days, or, films that haven't been watched yet, with most recent additions at the top of the list.

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:06:36 pm »

I'm trying to build an expression but it's not working the way I expected it to.

In theater view/Movies/Name I add a category, type "Expression".
In the "Expression to display" I created the expression 
Ifelse(IsEmpty([Series],[Name],[Series])

but when I close it and go back in, the expression has changed to this:
Ifelse(IsEmpty([Series, 1],[Name, 1],[Series, 1])

What I'm trying to attempt is to display the movie [Name] if [Series] is empty, else show the [Series] entry

Then I guess I would have to group by [Name] and [Series].

In Theater View all my movies show up in an "unassigned" folder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  It would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I love how flexible MC is.  I'm a long-time programmer and I'm psyched to get in there and start playing around.  I'm just an MC noob  ;D

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 02:29:15 am »

If(IsEmpty([Series]),[Name],[Series])
the above expression needs to go in the 'expression to group by' box

You would use IfElse() if you had a whole heap of "If()" to check as it makes it easier to write and read them with less chance of error.

Using ifelse....

IfElse(isempty([Series]),[Name],1,[Series])

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 03:32:04 am »

I just noticed that you were trying to enter your expression in the "to display" box, so edited my post above as it needs to be in the "group by" box.

once you have that sorted, try the following in the "to display" box...
If(IsEmpty([Series, 1]),[Name, 1],[Series, 1] <font color="a3a3a3">/(groupcount() Films/)<//font>)

You should see a light grey 'film count' after the series name...

RD James

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 05:04:50 am »

TVInfo is special and TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) should only display series if it has a value.
You could also use FirstNotEmpty([Series], [Name]) to achieve the same thing, or operate on different fields.
FirstNotEmpty supports using a list of fields so you don't need to use "if" statements.
JRiver may change fields to ,1 or ,0 in the display box for some reason, it shouldn't affect the results.

Use the "group by" field to arrange how items are grouped/sorted, and the "expression to display" for how you want their names presented.

That's why in my previous example I group by date+name, but only display the name.
That way films inside a series are sorted in chronological order rather than alphabetical order.

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 08:08:55 pm »

If(IsEmpty([Series]),[Name],[Series])
the above expression needs to go in the 'expression to group by' box

You would use IfElse() if you had a whole heap of "If()" to check as it makes it easier to write and read them with less chance of error.

Using ifelse....

IfElse(isempty([Series]),[Name],1,[Series])

Ah ha, that makes sense.  I was trying to do a simple ifElse.  I'll try this right now.  Thanks for your help.

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:18:46 pm »

I just noticed that you were trying to enter your expression in the "to display" box, so edited my post above as it needs to be in the "group by" box.

once you have that sorted, try the following in the "to display" box...
If(IsEmpty([Series, 1]),[Name, 1],[Series, 1] <font color="a3a3a3">/(groupcount() Films/)<//font>)

You should see a light grey 'film count' after the series name...

Worked perfectly!

Much appreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up