INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD ripping process is not intuitive for multi disk rips  (Read 2029 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
CD ripping process is not intuitive for multi disk rips
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:56:53 am »

I'm not a heavy user of the MC Audio features (video is my thing) - and recently wanted to add some new music to my collection.

Overall it went well but the process was not as intuitive as I thought it should (could) be. I think this process could be improved a little. Here's my experience:

I inserted the first CD (of 3 CD set). MC popped up a display with a listing of the Album Name and Track Names (very nice!). I selected accept. Then I clicked the "Rip" button at the top of the screen.

1) The display showed all of the tracks and showed the "process of the rip" going from track to track (very nice!).

2) The rip ended for CD1 and the rip action window said "Finished". "Insert next CD or Click Close". (nice!).

3) I inserted CD2 and the popup window again lists the album name and track names. I click accept. ButNothing changes - rip doesn't start, and the new CD2 tracks don't show and there is no "Rip" button at the top of the screen this time (not good).

4) So I see the "Click here to restart ripping" (link, not button) in the action window. (The term "restart ripping" had me thinking. Why not just "start ripping"? Is this meant to re-rip the first CD or start a new rip? Semantics I guess). Anyways, I click the link and the rip for CD2 starts but it only display's one track at a time at the end of the CD1 list as each new track rip completes. (why not show all the tracks with the "progress and completed" bar like the first CD had?

5) CD3 went same as for CD2.

Not a big deal for disks 2 and 3, just not as nice as the first CD rip. I just thought I'd mention it in case there's a better way, or in case devs want to consider making this process a little better. IMO.
Thanks for reading.

DallasNights

• Recent member
Re: CD ripping process is not intuitive for multi disk rips
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:54:15 am »

Hello CB,

The ripping setup on JRiver is generally pretty decent, and better than most, but you make a few good points.  I am on 140 of 350 cds that I am presently ripping to JRiver.  First, if you wanted to see the song and track titles of CD 2 or CD 3 after selecting "Accept", then you need to click on the bottom left of the Action Window where it says "Details".  This is not intuitive in that while the CD is being analyzed, it will not respond at first.  However, right after that "Accept" stage, again click "Details" and the current CD and track titles come up and also show the beginning tracks being ripped.  Here is the problem for me: there are times when an inconsistent label such as the artist (ie; last name, first versus first name, last) is being ripped.  This is a simple rename correction, but there is not a "review prior to ripping stage" within the Details section or elsewhere that I have found to make changes just prior to ripping after a cd has been analyzed.  I have looked in the various settings and there seems to be no option for this type of control.  So next time, just click on details after inserting your cd!!  ;)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD ripping process is not intuitive for multi disk rips
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:12:05 pm »

Thanks for the tip!

I only made the post thinking of the new user - because I think software should be useable in its basic function without needed help or a manual. Obviously more advanced things require help. In this case, I worked my way through it, but wanted to post in case JRiver dev team was interested in (or able to) making a few of the ripping steps easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up