INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List tagging via checkbox lacks keyboard Jump ability  (Read 1396 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
List tagging via checkbox lacks keyboard Jump ability
« on: August 10, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

At Matt's request, continuing here a thread from MC21...

MC22 is greatly improved in allowing checkbox list tagging of a field, selecting one to many values, without getting into Search mode.

But, navigating the list requires scrolling, sometimes lots of scroll. The cursor is automatically in the Add box, so typing simply starts creating a value to Add.

What I'm again asking for is to have typing jump around the list of existing values. Press J and focus jumps to the first J value in the list. Press X, jumps there. Keep jumping until all desired values are checked (or unchecked), then press Enter to finish that field.

To Add a new value, click (and/or Tab) to the Add box.

Jump should be default keyboard focus, because I think it is much more common for list values to already exist, and just need to be selected. Add a new value is much less necessary. Therefore, jumping around the values list to select should be the default keyboard action.

Also, keyboard jumping is intuitive. AND.... this is how MC already behaves in a View, where pressing a letter jumps to the first matching value in the view's sorted column. That's how a tagging list should behave too.

I'm not inventing an idea, I'm simply describing how MC list-field tagging worked for many versions, until direct jump+select was replaced by forced search in mid-MC15. I'm hoping MC22 can bring back the keyboard-efficient behavior.

ALSO... because many of my value lists are long, the tag list bottom still ends up behind Windows taskbar when tag box is default half-height. I can't even see the Add box, which has faked me out when I pressed keys to Jump, didn't realize I was actually Adding a nonsensical new value to the list. I don't want to have to run tag window at full height because I am constantly using the view tree while doing tagging.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Mike48

• World Citizen
Re: List tagging via checkbox lacks keyboard Jump ability
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:06:41 pm »

Yes, I agree with this.  I am not a fan of the long list of values, though it seems I am not in the majority here. (I'd rather not be switching back and forth between mouse and keyboard all the time.)

However, if that's going to be the standard, there needs to be a way to jump to values, and I agree with MusicHawk's suggestion or something like it. Also, more thought needs to be given to the display when tagging in a small window, which can be extremely useful at times. MusicHawk described the problem accurately.

Another issue is that when tagging music with keywords, MC 22 seems to include in the list all the keywords from podcasts. This wasn't so (for me) in MC 21, and it is a problem. One has no control of keywords from podcasts and is unlikely to ever use them in music. In my case, they have expanded the list from a dozen or so to over 100, most of which I don't want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up