INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 August 10 updates break WDM and more  (Read 3775 times)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Windows 7 August 10 updates break WDM and more
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:43:50 pm »

After installing KB3167679, KB177725, KB178034, and KB3175443 today I was no longer able to control the volume in MC with System Volume or Application Volume selected. Also, the JRiver Media Center 21 audio device no longer appeared in the list of Windows sound playback devices. I uninstalled all four updates, rebooted, and still no joy. I had to reinstall MC21 to return to normal. I have not tried systematically reinstalling each MS update to see which one caused the problem.

Before uninstalling the updates I tried installing MC22, which I have purchased, but that did not help. I definitely had to uninstall the MS updates and then reinstall MC to revert to what was working before today's MS updates.

jachin99

Re: Windows 7 August 10 updates break WDM and more
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:01:52 am »

Have you tried to turn off the WDM feature, reset your pc, then turn it back on?  I had WDM disappear on me when I upgraded to 22, but this fixed it.  I have seen this work for others as well

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:45 am »

I only ever use WDM when a guest wants to hear something through the free Spotify site, and most of the time I have to add the WDM driver back to get the JRiver speaker to appear on the list, so I'm used to that. The deal breaker for me this time was that the exaSound volume synchronization plug-in was no longer working. The volume control in MC stayed at zero and I couldn't move it, no matter what volume mode I selected in MC. I could still change volume with the exaSound IR remote, but I do like the ability to adjust the volume through the JRemote app.

tyler69

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:11:23 am »

Regarding the exaSound plugin: I just received an email from George. exaSound is working on it. It seems they have to release a new version everytime a JRiver version change happens (20, 21, 22, ...).

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:47:26 am »

I was going to email George, but I assumed he knew about the MC22 release and would issue an updated plug-in soon enough. That's why I'm still using MC21 even though I have purchased the MC22 upgrade. I was still using 21 when the Microsoft updates broke the volume control. After it broke I installed MC22, thinking that might fix things, but then I realized I'd forgotten that the exaSound plug-in is version-specific. Anyhow, it was definitely Microsoft updates that caused the initial trouble, and rolling those back and reinstalling MC21 got things working again. It's unlikely the plug-in played any part in this, as it's possible to move the volume slider in MC with or without the plug-in, and after the MS updates I couldn't move MC's volume slider.
Pages: [1]   Go Up