INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to create multiple libraries  (Read 6916 times)

wgapel

• Recent member
Trying to create multiple libraries
« on: August 11, 2016, 06:38:02 pm »

I'm trying to create multiple libraries.
I noticed the local location for the first library I created when starting JRiver is C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Library\Cache\
The files are WAV imported from path on network from NAS.
I created a new library of FLAC files by selecting local library and once again with path on network to NAS but it shows this libraries local location is on my NAS.
Why is the first library I located on my pc's hard drive and the second on my NAS?

Shouldn't the path be the same for both since both were imported from the same location? Am I doing something wrong to create multiple libraries? I don't understand why first location on C: and second on NAS.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trying to create multiple libraries
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:44:48 am »

you probably shouldn't be making multiple libraries for what (i think) you are trying to do

but if you insist on it, you can choose the library path when you click "add library" and create it.  sounds like when you did that you chose the NAS path as the "local library path" but that really means where the library is stored!  the import path comes later on when you choose the library auto import parameters

AFAIK you can't change the library location once it's set, but someone else may have a tip there

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 12:46:56 am »

Why do you want multiple libraries? If you want to distinguish between different file types, just use views with filters.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 01:13:38 pm »

should I use the same path as the first library?

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Library\Cache\

If I load JRiver on another PC then I'll have a new path on that PC?
Will I have to create a whole new library for a new PC?

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »

I want to create multiple libraries because I want to separate my friends mp3's from my WAV's and FLAC's.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:29:11 pm »

I can't figure this out any help regarding my previous posts?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:47:33 pm »

You don't need to use multiple libraries.  You can create different views of the same library.  The wiki has a topic

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Customizing_View_Schemes

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 08:08:17 pm »

It's getting confusing. I just wanted to create a library for my wav and flac rips and another for my friends mp3's

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 08:44:18 am »

And even the ceo of JRiver is telling you that is not a good idea. I would recommend you to take one step back. Your goal is simple enough, you just need to realize that one library with different views is the way to go.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 12:16:40 pm »

Well then the option to add another library should not be front and center.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 09:16:26 pm »

i do use multiple libraries for working with portable libraries

if you want to do it, make sure you choose the initial path so that it's somewhere on the fastest drive in the system (usually c:).  if you load MC onto a new computer, just copy the library file to the new computer and load that library - keep in mind you may have to change file paths since the files may be somewhere else on the new computer

for multiple file types though the easiest is using view schemes, right click your favourite audio view scheme, and click "customize this view"
on the right side under settings, scroll down to "save this view"

now right click the Audio parent and add new view, and load the preset you've saved.  but now go into customize view again, and under settings click "set rules for file display"

in the window that comes up, choose your file type that you only want to see

you can do this for all 3 types (wav, flac, mp3) or as many as you want of course.  now those views will only see the specific file type, but you can have another view that sees them all as well so you can manage it all as one library with all the same library settings etc.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 05:23:00 pm »

I'm putting this on hold for now because I did not understand your instructions. I would like to come back to this topic at a later date. Please do not close thread.

MusicHawk

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 07:13:42 pm »

Simple (and not-so simple) things to know that helped me years ago:

1. Library location is where MC puts it's database files. No particular limitations other than having sufficient space, but MC tries to make it simple by using a default location...unless you set it to something else, which I always do, because I want to avoid having the username be part of the path, so my library is PC-agnostic. For instance, c:\data\jrmc\library\

2. Storage of your media files (mp3, flac, whatever) is typically in a different location, could be same drive, different drive, NAS. MC will suggest a location but I like to use a specific folder tree, always the same, on every PC, since I started using MC/MJ almost 15 years ago. For instance, c:\data\jrmc\music\

3. But, if the same library is to be shared among PCs (as I do), it's quite easy IF the library and media paths on all PCs are identical. Then, just copy the library files and use them.

4. If media storage location must vary among PCs, one with just drive C:, the other with a second hard drive or network drive that is preferred, there are tricks to give all such locations the same drive letter, therefore the same media storage path. Such as, always store media at m:\media\jrmc\, on every PC. On the PC that has a physical M: drive, just use it.

On the PC that only has drive C:, make it think there is also a drive M:. First make a folder that will pretend to be M:, such as folder c:\mdrive (folder name doesn't matter, but keep it simple). Then use MS-DOS command SUBST something like this: subst m: c:\mdrive. Then put the media files in physical drive c:\mdrive\media\jrmc, but tell MC the files are at m:\media\jrmc, same as the PC that has an actual M: drive.

The beauty is, once the folders and SUBST (if needed) are set up, there's never a need to do anything to the library itself. I've done this for years. Once I set up ALL my media files on drive M: (whether physical or virtual on a given PC), it works great, across a dozen generations of PCs, never had to change the library contents, MC always sees library files and media files at the same location.

NOTICE: My examples points 1, 2 and 3 used drive c: for simplicity, but really, I always use drive m: as explained above.

5. Cover art seems simple but there are many options. Instead of the default location, I tell MC to use a separate folder that contains ALL cover art, on drive M: (physical or virtual), such as m:\media\jrmc\coverart\. I do not embed images in the music files because that makes the files larger (I have a huge library so efficient storage is a consideration. But there are situations where embedding images, or using MCs other cover art options, are desirable. Contemplating and choosing a cover art method is almost a separate field of study within MC.

6. By always having MC's files on the same real/virtual location M:, to copy the entire MC library from Main PC to Secondary PC is simple. I just copy m:media\jrmc to the identical location on the second PC. MC on both PCs is set to use identical paths for everything. All the library files, media files, and cover art files are copied from/to the identical path, so everything works the same on both PCs, nothing to diddle with.

DISCLAIMER: MC is amazingly versatile, with many variations (and contradictions) to the above that also work well. There's rarely only one way, and few will agree on any particular "best" way. Search MC22 and prior forum sections to discover all kinds of advice. So, the best advice is, think first about the result you want, including whatever simplicity vs. flexibility you might require, etc.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 05:44:14 pm »

Thanks MusicHawk, I understand how MC works a little more now.  Since I bought a NAS which only purpose is to store and stream media can I put the library location on the NAS using the network path to the NAS. I would be doing what you suggest sort of then my library location would be the same for all PC's right? Media location is on NAS using network path now. If I did that would my library update on the NAS (including playlists, last played, etc) when I used MC on any of the PC's.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 06:14:55 pm »

You can put the media files themselves on the NAS, but don't move your MC library (the database) there for performance reasons.

MusicHawk

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 06:17:39 pm »

I haven't used NAS as you intend, but it is likely to work as you desire. The entire trick boils down to, have all PCs see the NAS at the same location so all instances of MC can use the same paths to library and media files. An NAS usually makes this easier than having a additional drives in some PCs, as in my example. I don't know how well MC will perform, however.

PS: I don't use NAS simply to keep network traffic down, preferring instead to copy the library and media files from a master PC to one or more secondary PCs, which then locally read the library database then play media and show cover art. The copying is via a backup app in middle of night. This practice originated years ago as a way to have MC file backups in multiple places, but it worked so well I just kept doing it.

THEN 9 years ago I came up with needing MC to be mobile, via a laptop in my RV running MC that feeds the RV's audio system. No NAS while bouncing through New Mexico, but the laptop's drive (internal but originally an external USB drive) via SUBST allows MC to work exactly like my stick-house desktop PC/MC system. (Yes, these days I could have NAS in the RV but no need for more gear, the way I do it is smooth, just run the backup app now and then to update the laptop from the desktop PC.)
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 06:33:15 pm »

So Jim says don't put library on NAS because of performace issues. Ok I will not even though I think it would of been ok since it's a Qnap with intel processor and 8 gig ram. My NAS has a JRiver app on it which was buggy first time I tried it. Alright then I'm back to How do I create the same file path for the library on multiple pc's none of which will be used as a server?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 10:59:25 pm »

Jim is correct that using MC with the Library on a NAS or external drive is (generally) not going to perform well. As far as this:

Alright then I'm back to How do I create the same file path for the library on multiple pc's none of which will be used as a server?

Well, to answer the question straight out, MC will use the file path you give the Library in the Library Manager to use.  So, despite what I said above, if you ignore me and point multiple copies of MC on multiple machines at the same file location (via a network share UNC path, or a mounted network drive letter, or even just a shared external disk you move around), it will use the Library it finds there. Whichever copy of MC opens it first will "lock" it and any new copy will get only read-only access to the Library. So, you can, if you want, use Libraries stored on network volumes (but, as discussed above, performance is bad).   You might want to read this article quickly, just to make sure you're clear on what we're talking about and where you can create and manage Libraries:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library

So, doing that isn't a great solution. The best solution is to pick one of the copies of MC as the "master" and run it as a Library Server. In this case, it does have all of the performance benefits of a Local Library, because that's how MC's Library Server system works. It is essentially a sync engine. When you connect from a "client" copy of MC, it downloads a fully copy of the Library at that moment, and then uses it locally to actually run MC. It just periodically syncs changes back to the server as it goes.

If you can't do that, you can set each copy up with its own Library, of course, but they'll be separate, and there is no other way to "merge" them in the future. You could I suppose still just pick one to be "the master" and then periodically you make a backup of this Library and restore it overtop of the others. But then they'd lose any changes you'd made inside them (playcount statistics, for example). Some changes will sync between them if you save the changes out to file tags and have Auto-Import set up to see external changes, but otherwise "internally tracked" items like playcounts would be lost (without a fairly substantial effort that would require substantial scripting skills).

The Library Server system is that sync engine, as I mentioned above, and that's going to give you the best results.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up