INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save DVD Artwork to somewhere other than Video_TS  (Read 2131 times)

bklynboy70

• Recent member
Save DVD Artwork to somewhere other than Video_TS
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:12:47 pm »

I have a network setup with dvds. The setup provides "read only" privileges to avoid any accidental erasure. I had MC21 scan for the DVDs on the network store. All were found, but no artwork. I used "Get Movie and TV Info". If finds the info OK, but still no artwork. I dragged four (4) dvds to my local drive. Then I removed the network store director, so no DVDs were present. Then I had MC21 find them. Used "Get Movie and TV Info" and all is fine now. MC21 saved a VIDEO_TS.jpg and a VIDEO_TS_ifo_JRSidecar.xml file with the image and movie info to the VIDEO_TS folder. I do not write privileges to the network drive, nor do I want to change the structure of the  DVD folders themselves. Is there any way to force MC21 to write/save all the image and xml data to my local drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the answer is yes, the follow up question is how do I have MC21 do a "blanket"/automated "Get Movie and TV Info" on all the DVDs within the store so I don't have to manually do each one. Thank you and take care, Rob

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Save DVD Artwork to somewhere other than Video_TS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:34:26 pm »

I'm fairly certain that video Cover Art is limited to being stored "beside" the videos themselves, as you have found.  Same thing with the sidecar files.  Wiki entry here with more info:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

Assuming I'm correct, I think the only way you can get cover art in MC is to enable write permission on your network share.  You could turn on write, get the cover art and sidecar files, then turn write permission back off again.

As for getting Cover Art for multiple files at once, that's no problem.  Just highlight the movies you want to get cover art for, then do "get movie and tv info".  It's got check boxes for information and/or cover art.  So you can get both, or just the cover art.  It's automatic, so you don't need to do anything else but watch it run.

There might be something I don't know about video cover art storage.  Maybe someone will come along and give us a clever answer or workaround.

Brian.

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:29:33 pm »

Wow, I has hoping that was not so. It's utterly surprising.

Has it always been like this? How does one submit a request for a feature?

Are there any workarounds?

I really don't want to change any of my directory structures.

Thank you for the reply.

Take care,

Rob

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:37:59 pm »

OK, so now comes the weird part. If you have 5000+ movies over a network store, you would increase the startup time by quite a bit accessing images across each DVD folder. You will encounter network latency times, seek times on the hard drive (each time you jumped to a new folder), Windows driver delays accessing the NIC card, etc. A database would make a lot more sense...

So I deleted the images in the DVD folders on my local hard drive. I closed MC21, then reopened it, and images were still there. So where are "those" images being stored? The images don't go away until you issue a remove cover art command. If you bring the images back into the DVD folders and issue a Quick Find in File command, now you can see them again. It appears that the cover art in the DVD folders in redundant and only the for recovery, because the images are stored in some database???

Am I seeing something crazy?

Any of the developers want to chime in and explain the behaviour?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and take care,

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up