INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting Broken on Calculated Data Fields  (Read 1751 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Sorting Broken on Calculated Data Fields
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:21:57 am »

This is very, very strange and I don't have it nailed down.  I have a custom field called Movie Sort.  It's calculated data with a value of:

Code: [Select]
if(isempty([Series]),[Name],[Series] [Episode])
In Standard View this sorts by Movie name, unless I have a [Series] set for that movie, then it sorts by Series and Episode.  So all of the Harry Potters sort in order, etc.

I have a number of movies that I added [Series] to back in MC21.  These all sort correctly.  Today I tried to add a [series] tag to a few of the Hannibal Lecter movies so they would sort together.  The [Series] and [Episode] tags "stick", but the sorting absolutely does not work on them.  But it works on the others.  It's very strange.

Experiments:

1.  For Hannibal movies, change [Series] to AAA.  Should float to the top of the list.  No change, sorting stays the same:  It's by name only.
2.  For the Die Hard series, which *already* had a series tag set (back in MC21), set the Series to BBB.  Sorting instantly changes and Die Hard movies now appear together in the Bs.
3.  Change Movies view (in Standard View) to Details, rather than thumbnails.  Add Movie Sort as a column.  It's selected with a down arrow and a "1" indicating sorting.  Hannibal movies sort wrong.  Click on the Movie sort column twice.  Now the Hannibal movies sort correctly.  Ok, cool, let's switch back to thumbnails view.  Sorting is wrong again.  Check sorting column:  It shows Movie Sort only.

I have no idea what's going on, but I hope these reports can help someone sort it all out.  (Unintentional pun, but funny!  :)  )

Oh and I should add:  I switched back to MC21, added the [series] tag to Hannibal movies, and it sorted correctly with no other action.

Brian.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting Broken on Calculated Data Fields
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:45:13 pm »

I did some more experiments and have found that this Library Field I created (Movie Sort) doesn't seem to update on any kind of predictable schedule.  So I created a new field, with a different name, and cut and pasted the calculated data definition.  It works exactly as expected.

Strangely, deleting the [Movie Sort] field, and re-adding it, doesn't fix it.  It's still broken.  So I'm using a different field name now and it works.  But [Movie Sort] is still "stuck" in my "Sort By" menu.  I don't know any way to remove it.  No big deal of course.  It's just odd.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up