INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRWorker Not Responding and large memory usage  (Read 2754 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
JRWorker Not Responding and large memory usage
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:32:33 am »

Yesterday I decided to remove all of the Keywords tags from all of my movies.  I used MCUtils to do this all at once.  It modified something like 200 movies.  MC then wanted to updated the tags in the XML and/or M4V files and started doing that.

At some point, my computer started running very sluggishly and MC hung.  In Activity Monitor, I saw that Kernel Task was now consuming 4.5 GB of RAM starving the rest of the system pretty badly.  JRWorker was hung. (Not Responding).  After a while, I killed JRWorker.  Kernel task went back to normal and the system worked correctly again.

Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to run "update tags from Library" on all of the movie files to make sure the tags were written.  The same thing happened again, but I waited longer.  It eventually finished and everything was normal again.  Seems like a CRAZY amount of memory to use, even if it loaded 200 or more XML files at once.  Maybe it was loading multiple large Video files at once?

Today, I was doing some maintenance with Series on my movies.  I was working on only 2 movies and it wasn't working correctly.  (I started a new thread about the problem I saw in the Windows MC22 forum.)  So I quit MC22 hoping that quitting would make it act normally.  On Quit, the system did the same thing as above:  JRWorker hung, Kernel Task consuming memory, MC22 hung.  After a while I killed JRWorker.  It came back and consumed huge memory again.  After a very short time I killed it and MC22.

When I re-opened MC22 everything was normal, other than the sorting issue which I've reported elsewhere.  I did update tags from Library, on those 2 movies, and it finished very quickly with an "OK" dialog box.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it's not something I've seen before with previous versions.

Brian.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRWorker Not Responding and large memory usage
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:59:51 am »

I rebooted my machine because MC was stuttering on video badly.  Stuttering disappeared.  So far, experiments with reading and writing tags to/from video files have yielded normal results.  I haven't seen the above behavior happen again since the reboot.  I'll report here if I see it again.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up