INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting a chapter from an MKV file  (Read 2941 times)

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Selecting a chapter from an MKV file
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:21:21 pm »

Everything is run with MC in my home and yep...it's great. I have 1 single only problem and it's called MKV chapter list viewing.

I know I'm coming with an evergreen but the more it goes the less I understand why we can't do something about it.

Nobody would deny that MKV becomes the video ripping format of choice...even I had to concede it...and MKV offers brilliant chapter support (renaming abilities i.a.) with interesting metatagging and systemic possibilities...forced subtitles, preselected audio etc....

But back to my only problem : many of us use theaterview.  And to be sitting in my couch and watch and listen to media I tried them all... believe me...software...the WMC, the kodi's, mede8er, plex...hardware oppo, dune, popcornhour..........and I always come back to MC.

But why can't MC display EASILY the "jump to" chapter list at 10-foot font size?

Kodi can (1 click bookmark), mede8er can 1 click, plex can 1click, oppo cant, dune can (1click enter), popcornhour (1click) can ...MC cannot.

MC can either

A. ( :D fast method/ >:( small font) : show me the "jump to"  chapter list in display view when I right click and go to "jump to" BUT THE FONT is TOO SMALL

or

B. ( >:( cumbersome method/ :D big font) : show me the "jump to" chapter list of theaterview which whilst watching in display view goes like this :
1. 1 click to return to theaterview
2. if I'm lucky primary roller shows playing now
3. one click down to the subroller
4. 7! clicks right to player
5. 1 click enter
6. 3 clicks down to "jump to"
7. 1 click right into the ...hurray...BIG FONT CHAPTER LIST
8. select the chapter I want
9. 2 clicks up to go back to main roller
10 4 clicks right to display view
...and continue watching

Is there nothing that can be done about that....? =  :D fast method/ :D big font

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: a post to relieve my frustration
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »

I don't use MKV's but can you not use the On Screen Display (arrow keys) to get the chapters? 

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: a post to relieve my frustration
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:36:54 pm »

Yes, you can. Press down, about twice, and if there's chapters, you'll see them (well it, the current one) in the OSD, and then left/right jumps you through them.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Selecting a chapter from an MKV file (BIGGER FONT CHAPTER LIST)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 04:03:15 pm »

Jim and Marko, Yes of course I can see the chapter (even their NAMES if set in the MKV) in the OSD which is superb !! but I have to browse through all of them until the chapter I want.

What is just missing is a LIST of all chapters in a pop-up window with a bigger font. (Nothing else than the existing list that MC already displays if I right click and select "jump to") but only with a bigger font/OSD font)

The most perfect way would be to click up or down until the OSD shows the current chapter (as it is today) and then if one would press enter we would see a pop-up (big font) with all the chapters in a list where the desired chapter could be selected.

From a video perspective it's the sole thing missing (for me)...

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Selecting a chapter from an MKV file
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »

BTW the attached pic in post : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106438.0.html

is what i'm referring to...it's just the list on the far right I would like to be able to easily call up while watching something in display view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up