INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie advice on system  (Read 3891 times)

Darkstar22

Newbie advice on system
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:06:18 am »

Hi,
I have a Marantz SR6010 Receiver, Pro-ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Samsung 4k TV, and Polk Audio in ceiling speaker surround system and an HP P6230y computer. Outdated computer but plan on adding the max 16gb RAM and an SSD Drive for the operating system and programs and a 4TB internal harddrive for audio,video and photo storage as well as an external drive for backup.

My computer is networked now and recognized by the Marantz but I haven't loaded my music in it's entirety because of the upgrade needed. I have around 1500-2000 cd's and a large amount of concert dvd's.

I haven't used JRiver yet with the Marantz although I have the free version currently. I will get the full version when upgrades are done. The Marantz has built in DAC.

Questions:
Does this setup sound like it would be compatible with JRiver
Would I need any additional equipment to play my music wirelessly
My computeris upstairs and family room downstairs
I'll plan to have all music as WAV files. No lossy formats allowed

Thanks for any advice

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie advice on system
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:47:16 am »

Hi,
I have a Marantz SR6010 Receiver, Pro-ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Samsung 4k TV, and Polk Audio in ceiling speaker surround system and an HP P6230y computer. Outdated computer but plan on adding the max 16gb RAM and an SSD Drive for the operating system and programs and a 4TB internal harddrive for audio,video and photo storage as well as an external drive for backup.

My computer is networked now and recognized by the Marantz but I haven't loaded my music in it's entirety because of the upgrade needed. I have around 1500-2000 cd's and a large amount of concert dvd's.

I haven't used JRiver yet with the Marantz although I have the free version currently. I will get the full version when upgrades are done. The Marantz has built in DAC.

Questions:
Does this setup sound like it would be compatible with JRiver
Would I need any additional equipment to play my music wirelessly
My computeris upstairs and family room downstairs
I'll plan to have all music as WAV files. No lossy formats allowed

Thanks for any advice

1. Does this setup sound like it would be compatible with JRiver?
The key to answering that question is to review the capability of the PC itself:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01859871
Looks like it will be functional for audio at least to me. To get quantitative though, you're best to run JRMark and see how that measures up to your use profile. And at this stage we don't know what the latter is.

You've got a 4k screen but will you be planning to watch UHD videos?
Do you have a dedicated graphics card or are you just running with the onboard integrated graphics and standard mobo I/O?

You can get DVI (No. 13) into an HDMI port with an adapter (I think? but I'm not sure what resolution it will work to) but you'll have to run separate audio into the receiver.

From the backplane of your receiver, you've got 2 Toslink S/PDIF inputs (noting that S/PDIF is limited to 2ch lossless from what I know and multi-channel in lossy mode).

So, you've got a reasonable chance of making things work for video depending on what video intensity you plan to work at. By that I mean things like - video resolution, 2D/3D, playback standard (Red October STD or HD?). That's where comparing JRMark notes comes into play and researching the wiki for info is useful, e.g. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Capabilities and http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Windows_System_Requirements#Recommended_System
Check the bottom of every forum page and click on "Wiki" for more detail. I thoroughly recommend that you check this resource regularly when you have any question. It may not answer all details but it provides a very good base for understanding.

2. Would I need any additional equipment to play my music wirelessly?
A wireless network router, the PC with a network connection (given) and a wirelessly networked compatible device, e.g. Android phone running Gizmo (or the like) or an iPhone running JRemote (or the like).

3. My computer is upstairs and family room downstairs
What have you got downstairs (client) for the upstairs PC (server) to serve to?
Just like a telephone or a radio, for every transmitter there needs to be a receiver. I see the Marantz receiver has a network port. Is this capable of receiving video via ethernet (e.g. DLNA or similar)? And if so, how easy and reliable is it to configure?

4. I'll plan to have all music as WAV files. No lossy formats allowed.
I'm for lossless myself but opted for a format like FLAC or APE for my audio library. They're lossless, take up half the space (roughly) of an uncompressed format like WAV, come with onboard metadata and are fully compatible with MC (just check the wiki http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Lossless_Compression). If you're planning on a rip job, then give compressed lossless formats some thought.

All the best ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up