INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 14 & MC 22 library compatibility  (Read 4012 times)

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
MJ 14 & MC 22 library compatibility
« on: August 14, 2016, 02:49:38 am »

Are Media Jukebox 14 libraries compatible with MC 22, i.e. can MC 22 read MJ 14 library backups and convert them to MC 22 library?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MJ 14 & MC 22 library compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 05:49:34 am »

I don't know.  Sorry.  It's likely since we haven't had any complaints, but I'm not sure. 

It would be easy to try.

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:28:37 pm »

A few versions ago, MC library file format was changed, so older library files (a library consists of MANY MC files) are not directly usable by newer MC. But the media files themselves are usable.

I'm not sure what you want to do, but if you want to run MC14 and MC22 together, here are some tips. I currently use MC15 (for its tagging capabilities) and MC21/22 (for everything else) on the same PC with the same library...carefully. I'm pretty sure MC14 used the same library format as MC15.

Of course, each MC (MC15, MC21, MC22 all installed on same PC right now) has its own set of program files. My library files are always in a custom location (not where MC default puts them), but each MC version uses a different custom location (all next to each other for easy management by me). The above are one-time-per-MC version steps.

All my media files (audio files in my case) are in just one location...also a custom location set by me. So, there are (currently) 3 versions of MC installed, but just ONE media storage location shared by all the MCs.

Each MC is set to store tags in the media files. This is key. And each MC is set to Auto-Import from the storage location they all share (including subfolders). After that, it just works.

If I change a track's file tag in MC15's library, the tag gets updated in the audio file (.flac, typically, but the same happens with .mp3 and other formats). MC22 notices the file change and updates its library by reading the updated tag from the file. Automatically.

If I add a file to the library in MC22, MC15 (thanks to auto-import) quickly discovers the new file and adds it too.

I even run MC15 and MC21/22 simultaneously, doing all my file work (ripping, converting, analyzing audio, etc) in the newest MC, but do tagging of the same tracks in MC15.

Just my goofy system, devised to meet my needs, but indication of what can be done.

OR, if the need is just a one-way migration from MC14 to MC22, I think making an MC14 library backup then loading it in MC22 works smoothly. The trick then is to be sure the media file storage location is as-desired, which can require a little dance with MC's Library Manager defaults. (I never use MC's default library name or paths, I always set up a new library, easy to control its name and storage path.)

PS: For photos management I run MC21/22 simultaneously with Google Picasa (Windows version, not the online thing), pointing to the same photos storage, because they each provide useful capabilities the other lacks. Mainly, MC is used for photo organization, captioning, tagging, Picasa for simple image correction such as straightening and cropping (and sometimes date/time correction because it can adjust a bunch of photos via offset not single-value). It's cool to have both apps open at the same time, same set of photos on-screen. For instance, I notice a crooked photo, straighten it in Picasa, and within seconds the MC screen updates with the changed photo. In MC I add captions to 100 photos in one step; Picasa would require 100 steps. Then immediately Picasa shows the new captions. Pretty cool.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 02:14:34 pm »

Are Media Jukebox 14 libraries compatible with MC 22, i.e. can MC 22 read MJ 14 library backups and convert them to MC 22 library?

Just give it a try to find out.
If the result is not as desired you could always try upgrading to 15, then 16, then 17, then 18, then 19, then 20, then 21, then 22.

Depending on what file types and tag fields you are using it might be simple just to import the files into a fresh MC22 and setup your views the way you like. Some fields are stored in the files tags where others are in the library only.

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:05:34 am »

Unfortunately didn't work :( "failed to load JRtools.dll"
It did built album thumbnails, but gave that error when I tried to play files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:08:32 am »

That might be something different.  Did you try rebooting?

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 10:21:09 am »

I'm not sure what you want to do, but if you want to run MC14 and MC22 together, here are some tips. I currently use MC15 (for its tagging capabilities) and MC21/22 (for everything else) on the same PC with the same library...carefully. I'm pretty sure MC14 used the same library format as MC15.

Just for faster migration from MJ 14 (that I installed to my dad's very slow old Vista machine) to MC 22, if I can persuade him to purchase MC 22 licence ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up