INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 won't open on start-up - publisher unknown  (Read 2694 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
MC22 won't open on start-up - publisher unknown
« on: August 15, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »

MC22 works fine on one of my Windows PCs but not on another. I have MC22 set to fire up automatically whenever the PC boots. However, MC22 refuses to start automatically  - instead, I get a pop-up asking if I want to allow this program from an unknown publisher to make changes to my PC. It starts up after I've answered this question but this is no use to me because the PC is running headless and without a keyboard.

It doesn't make a difference if I right-click on the app and run as administrator  - I still get the pop-up. I've tried reinstalling but I still get the unverified publisher message. What I don't understand is why the publisher is unverified - I didn't have this problem with MC21 on this or any other PC, where the publisher was always given as JRiver.

Any thoughts?

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC22 won't open on start-up - publisher unknown
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:16:04 pm »

Here are a couple of pictures. Instead of MC22 opening up, I get this prompt:

But here's the interesting thing. The shortcut to MC22 has a tiny Windows Defender logo on it. You have to look closely but here it is:

What's going on? Anyone know?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »

It might be a problem with certificates on that machine.

What is the full version of MC?

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:39:09 am »

Thanks for answering - as I said, it's MC22 if that's what you mean.

Here is some more info. When I download MC22, and it asks me for permission to download, it correctly states that the publisher of the software is JRiver and that the publisher is verified. So, no problem at all there. But when the download is finished and I then install the program, every time I try to run it, I get the "unknown publisher" pop-up shown in my OP and it won't run until I've given actively given my permission. And as you can see, the MC22 shortcut has that weird Windows Defender logo superimposed upon it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:46:58 am »

The windows defender icon indicates that windows thinks it needs to run MC22 with admin rights, which is not something we require, so somewhere along the line it got flagged for that erroneously.

You can try checking the options of that shortcut and see if a compatibility mode or run as administrator is checked, and disable them.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:44:25 am »

Under Help > About, you can see the full version. 22.0.10,  for example.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:24:19 am »

The windows defender icon indicates that windows thinks it needs to run MC22 with admin rights, which is not something we require, so somewhere along the line it got flagged for that erroneously.

You can try checking the options of that shortcut and see if a compatibility mode or run as administrator is checked, and disable them.

This proved very troublesome - nothing to do with JRiver - but yes, this was the fix. The run as administrator box was greyed out but yes, it was checked, and I eventually found I could uncheck it by going to change settings for all users first. Even then the shortcut icon and the exe itself still had the blue and yellow shield even after a reboot and the only way I could get rid of it was by completely uninstalling and reinstalling MC22. Previously, I had already uninstalled and reinstalled several times so it seems that Windows 10 was remembering the erroneous administrator setting from previous installs and applying to the new install every time - very strange. Anyway all fixed now so thank you very much indeed for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up