INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question installing MC on another PC  (Read 4064 times)

wgapel

• Recent member
Question installing MC on another PC
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »

I initially started with MC on a laptop with a library created by importing files from Nas.
Now I want to install MC on my desktop connected to my stereo using same files from Nas.
Do I create library again separately on desktop the way I did on laptop and retag or is there a faster easier way? Pc's are independent of each other but on the same network and are in sleep most of the time.

Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question installing MC on another PC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »

if they are on the network, run one as the server and one as the client...then they just share a library.  this is a fantastic way of running a few PC's

if you want a standalone library, you can just copy the library file from the main PC, and restore it on the laptop.  you may have to adjust a few file paths here and there but otherwise everything copies over

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »

If 1 pc is a server then that would have to be on all the time. I have the NAS for that. So I ask again should I start a library on the new pc like I did initially on my laptop? Remember no main PC's just all stand alone running off and auto updating from NAS because that's where I continue to add files. I have 2 more desktops to do after this both connected to separate AV systems running files off the NAS.

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 12:37:55 pm »

Many tags get written back to the files on the NAS. I know it's not a recommended approach, but you can certainly have multiple instances of MC, each with their own library, pulling the same files from the NAS. Updates performed on one PC will eventually make their way to the libraries on the other PCs.

There are some things that won't get replicated. For example, the number of plays and date last played are saved in your library, so playing an album from your desktop won't update that info on your notebook.

For the most part, the things I'm interested in - name, artist, cover art, genre - are written to the files, so although I have two machines each with their own library, I get by with actively managing just a single library.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:52 pm »

little confused by your last sentence. You said you have 2 pcs each with their own library yet manage only 1 library?
I don't understand. Also, do you use a NAS?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:51:56 pm »

The changes I make in Library 1 get written to the files and are therefore picked up automatically by Library 2.

I seldom use playlists or customized views. If you want to use playlists you'll have to copy those manually or figure out some other way to sync libraries.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 12:54:17 pm »

You mean written to files on Nas right?

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:58:29 pm »

Yes, the tags I change are written to the audio files, which in your case are on the NAS. The MC library "files" are not on the NAS, so things like playlists are local to each installation of MC.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »

Do you use a NAS?

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »

No, I have a NUC with an external USB drive. This system is on 24/7 (usually) but the NUC uses very little power, and there is no monitor, mouse, or keyboard connected. The music folder on the NUC's external drive is shared, and the HTPC upstairs is configured to watch the music folder on the NUC.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 01:10:41 pm »

Sorry to bother you but why then in your situation you didn't make the NUC the server and your other pcs the client?

DJLegba

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 01:24:01 pm »

Audio files are on the NUC in the basement, which I leave on all the time. Video files are on the HTPC, which I turn off when not in use. I didn't want my wife to have to think about zones or libraries or whatever. She controls the HTPC with her iPad and when she selects a music file it plays. When she selects a movie it plays. It may be possible to set that up using zones, but when I was configuring things I didn't really understand zones. The only drawback to my setup, at least that I have run into, is that I can't set up a playlist for her on the basement NUC and make it available instantly on the HTPC. And as I said, playing stats aren't updated between libraries, but I don't care.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:42:14 pm »

Ok, I understand what you are doing sort of. So do you think for what I'm doing the easiest way to set up the rest of my desktops is to install MC on each and just create a library and import files from NAS (like I did initially on laptop) taking into account playlist and recently played will not sync on the individual PC's but any updates to files like tagging will.  I know ferday suggested "you can just copy the library file from the main PC, and restore it on the laptop.  you may have to adjust a few file paths here and there but otherwise everything copies over" , but I think my way is the same thing without having to change file paths. I have to get back to work but I would like to continue this convo later if you don't mind.
Many thanks.

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 06:19:16 pm »

The  good thing is that you can always change it later if you find the method you've chosen isn't doing what you want. Ferday's suggestion is good if that's what you need. My lazy-man's approach works for me and it may work for you. If your NAS is QNAP there's a version of MC that will run directly on the NAS.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 06:24:11 pm »

Yes it is QNAP and I tried running it but it kept flashing on and off so I closed it.

DJLegba

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 06:28:16 pm »

Well I have no experience with that so I can't help you get it running but there is a lot of discussion on the board here and if you can make it work that would be your best option. MC on the QNAP and then all your other PCs as clients.

wgapel

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 06:34:23 pm »

ok, I'll look for that thread. Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up