INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle album / random album stopped working  (Read 4149 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
Shuffle album / random album stopped working
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:59:20 am »

All:

Back in January there was a discussion thread about randomizing the sort of albums in a view: 

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,100866.msg708886.html#msg708886

The code-based sort solution in  Customize View > Set Rules for file display > Import/Export was

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~nodup=[Album] ~sort=Random ~a
This worked fine - until I noticed it wasn't working yesterday. All my albums in this shuffle view now sort in alphabetical order.  (Though when I switch to this view MC pauses as if it's executing the randomization.) 

The code is still there, and the "sort inside groups" option is still set to Random, but I get no randomization.  My guess this is a result of a recent update, but I have no way of knowing.

Any idea out there on what happened?

Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Shuffle album / random album stopped working
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:31 am »

To sort a list of albums randomly, click the view header text and pick Sort By > Random.

I'm not really sure what entering the sort into the file display box does, but I don't think it works.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:21:31 am »

To sort a list of albums randomly, click the view header text and pick Sort By > Random.

I'm not really sure what entering the sort into the file display box does, but I don't think it works.

Thanks, Matt, but this doesn't work (unless I'm in the wrong place).  The result I get when I do this is that the tracks sort randomly within each album group.

The sort code I listed (courtesy of blgentry) did work between January and yesterday.

Bill

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:25:23 am »

That code listed above is mine.  It was designed for use in a SmartList, where it would randomize a list of songs, and then expand it to full albums, so you'd have albums sorted randomly, but then the songs within the albums sorted correctly.

It's been a while, so I had to go back and look at the thread again.  My screen shot there shows a Panes view, which has a List Style of Album Thumbnails.  That takes away the "group by" menu selection.  It also gives you a Sort By menu item. Set Sort By to Random and you'll get random album thumbnails.  I just tested it on MC22.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:25:29 am »

Thanks, Matt, but this doesn't work (unless I'm in the wrong place).  The result I get when I do this is that the tracks sort randomly within each album group.

If you're looking at a view of album thumbnails, and pick Sort By > Random, it should randomize the listing of albums but leave the tracks sorted by track number inside.  You might need to remove your extra sorting in your file listing.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:11 am »

I'm not using thumbnail view - here's what my view looks like:

The albums used to sort randomly, now they do not.

Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 08:57:51 am »

Well that's confusing, because when I make a pane view and put your search rule in:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~nodup=[Album] ~sort=Random ~a

I get a totally randomized list of albums.

You might try MC22 if you haven't, just to be sure we're testing the same thing.

Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 09:02:02 am »

I'm not using thumbnail view - here's what my view looks like:

You've got "Group By > Album" turned on.  That removes ALL sorting.  Turn Group By to NONE, and it will sort correctly again. 

It turns out I still had my Random Albums view saved.  I just tested it and it works fine.  Of course you won't get your large album thumbnail next to the songs, but that's just how MC works.

Brian.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:12:44 am »

Matt:  I bought MC22 but haven't installed it yet.  Still on 21.

Brian:  I want the the display to group the tracks and display the album cover as shown in the image.  You are right that setting Group By to None gives me random albums (so I guess the randomization part of my issue is resolved).  But I tell ya: I didn't change any settings and until yesterday was getting the behavior I wanted: random albums grouped and displayed by album with the thumbnail as shown.

Bill

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:29:13 am »

But I tell ya: I didn't change any settings and until yesterday was getting the behavior I wanted: random albums grouped and displayed by album with the thumbnail as shown.

I've played with that numerous times over the last few years and I've never been able to get it to work.  <shrug>

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up