INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album/Artist metadata  (Read 7516 times)

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
Album/Artist metadata
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:48:39 pm »

Is there any plan to add comprehensive metadata to JRiver?

This is the only downfall to computer audio in my mind. I miss reading liner notes, see gatefold pictures, etc from the lp days. I would assume that this would add cost, so maybe it could be added as on add-on service?

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Album/Artist metadata
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:28:51 pm »

Don't think that jriver should improve own scraping ability....
If you're a lp nostalgic and care for complete data around music try roon labs.

Their pricing seems over the top for me (too expensive for what additional infos i would get) eventhough as jazzlover i value extra complete metadata but their info level is impressive

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:38:28 pm »

Don't think that jriver should improve own scraping ability....
If you're a lp nostalgic and care for complete data around music try roon labs.

Their pricing seems over the top for me (too expensive for what additional infos i would get) eventhough as jazzlover i value extra complete metadata but their info level is impressive
Seeing Roon was why I posted this here. I would love for JRiver to have something similar (maybe not all the linking and all that extraneous stuff). The cost is way over the top for me so I will be passing on this at least until the price come way down (probably not gonna happen though).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:48:40 pm »

If you have something specific in mind, please post details.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:30:09 pm »

specific - the ability to view the booklet (or other "assets") in MC proper with the same ease of use as you can with JRemote

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:59:31 pm »

If you have something specific in mind, please post details.
Jim,

While listening to an album, I would like to be able to view information about the album. What musicians are all playing on it, recording info(even release specific stuff like choosing which release you have, i.e. Audio Fidelity, Analogue Production or a certain remaster or original release), inner sleeve and back cover info, artist bio info, maybe lyrics and pictures. Basically, the missing LP/CD experience plus. Maybe make it an optional component to keep the core program cheap. Also, it must be visible on the remote application.

JRiver is a great piece of software, but I think it can be more. I think with all of the information and technology available today, there is no reason that we cannot better the music consumption experience of the old technology. If you all don't do it, I am sure somebody will at some point. Heck, Roon software is a great start, but way too expensive for us working class folks. I could even see somebody coming up with a stand alone piece of software or possibly a 3rd party plugin that would do this. I just think it makes way too much sense for this not to happen. I am, quite frankly, surprised that this type of thing hasn't been done a long time ago.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 04:32:46 pm »

specific - the ability to view the booklet (or other "assets") in MC proper with the same ease of use as you can with JRemote

I think this is an idea worth exploring.  How could MC present user controlled "assets" for viewing while a song or album is playing?  Instead of just a cover art mode, there could be something like an "extra album media" mode.  So you could see extra pictures, PDFs, etc.  I'm not sure exactly what this interface would look like, but I think the idea is pretty cool!

Theater view already has some "extra media" modes, where it downloads pictures of the band while a song is playing and shows them.  This is a fantastic feature, that would be welcome in Standard View too.  Being able to take this further in either mode (Standard or Theater) would be pretty neat.

If we, could put PDFs, JPGs, PNGs, etc into a directory and be able to browse through these with keys or buttons, that would be a richer experience.  I know people that have been really wowed by some of JRiver's features and the "band pictures" in Theater View is one of the ones that those people liked.

So again, I think the idea of additional media to view during playback is really worth exploring.  Anyone agree?

Brian.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 05:35:30 pm »

I would agree..

What I specially like about the idea is that WE could add pictures or pdf's or other things LOCALLY .

I'm sick and tired of all the metadata so-called scraping services which make a copy of my listening habits and movie/audio interests somewhere ... in a cloud

CopaJohn

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »

I'm new here so forgive me if I seem a bit out of it...

For me, I keep my albums in .flac format and keep a folder.jpg file in that same directory.  In that same directory, I keep scans of the covers and booklet in a file labeled 'Artwork'.  It would be grand to be able to view the jpgs in that file while listening.  Is there a way to do that or is this something for a wishlist?  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:16 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Is the Artwork file a pdf?

CopaJohn

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:54 pm »

No, most are just jpg scans.  There are a few pdfs along the way though.  They would be the rare exception rather than the rule.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:54:34 pm »

Are they all in a folder within the folder that contains the music?

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 05:18:32 am »

Are they all in a folder within the folder that contains the music?
Yes. But that folder goes under various names such as: art, artwork, scans, covers and so on.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

CopaJohn

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:11 am »

For me, I have been consistent in the way I name everything.  They are all named 'Artwork'...

CopaJohn

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 08:56:38 am »

Soo... back to my original question.  Is there a way to view artwork jpg scans while listening to audio?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 09:28:45 am »

Soo... back to my original question.  Is there a way to view artwork jpg scans while listening to audio?

Coming next build we'll have a little nugget for you.  Sidecar images and documents and such will be found and a "View Extras" submenu will appear when we find sidecars.

Cheers.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CopaJohn

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:37:38 am »

I like nuggets as long as they aren't from McDonalds!  Thank you!

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 04:20:34 am »

Coming next build we'll have a little nugget for you.  Sidecar images and documents and such will be found and a "View Extras" submenu will appear when we find sidecars.

Cheers.

This looks great, I just have a question: will all the non audio files in a folder be considered sidecar files? Or do they need to respect some filename protocol?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 07:55:45 am »

This looks great, I just have a question: will all the non audio files in a folder be considered sidecar files? Or do they need to respect some filename protocol?

It's any files next to the audio file we're showing the menu for.  We look for jpg, png, pdf, doc, docx, xls, and txt, and then show a menu if we find any.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »

This suits me fine; I think though that some people might also like to have tifs, rtfs and most importantly htms available if possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up