INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream to another pc  (Read 1871 times)

bds42

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Stream to another pc
« on: July 20, 2003, 01:19:32 pm »

Hi All-

Been searching the board and help but I'm afraid I just don't get it.  My MC box (running the latest 9.1) is set up in the living room and is on my lan.  

What I'd like is to be able to have my bedroom PC playe exactly what is playing on the MC box in the living room?  Can I just load up some little mp3 player like winamp and point it at the ip of the Media Center box or do I need to install all of MC on the bedroom PC?  

Also will the bedroom PC be able to play whatever is playing on the MC box even if it's an internet stream?

Thanks,

bds42

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stream to another pc
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 02:36:34 pm »

There isn't a way to do that currently.  It's something we've considered adding.

The closest you can get now is to run MC's Media Server on the server and connect to it with a copy of MC on the client (bedroom) and select what you want to play on the client.

Klingler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 03:03:59 pm »

I would love to see this feature added!

I use an old laptop to play music in our living room, and I think it would get overburdened by installing MC9 as a client.  WinAmp it can handle... barely.

Rob

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 01:45:05 pm »

I'd like to emphatically second this motion!

I would love to be able to start a "stream" on my server and be able to play it on any one of my other PCs on the LAN.  

My understanding is that MC9 can play an MP3 Stream.  Are there other apps out there that could stream locally for my other PCs - using MC9 to play the stream?

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 07:06:43 pm »

I would love to see this feature added!

I use an old laptop to play music in our living room, and I think it would get overburdened by installing MC9 as a client.  WinAmp it can handle... barely.

Rob

I run MJ8 on my slow machine, works fine   ;)

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 07:12:55 pm »

There isn't a way to do that currently.  It's something we've considered adding.

The closest you can get now is to run MC's Media Server on the server and connect to it with a copy of MC on the client (bedroom) and select what you want to play on the client.

Jim,

How much in resources does running Media Server use up on the server?  
Is there an advantage to picking up your music from the Media Server rather than simply playing music from a network drive (mapped drive perhaps) instead?

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 09:48:25 pm »

How much in resources does running Media Server use up on the server?  
Is there an advantage to picking up your music from the Media Server rather than simply playing music from a network drive (mapped drive perhaps) instead?

I've wondered this myself.  The only downside I've realized is that it's a bit of work to keep two libraries synched.  I  back up the main library and use that to restore the secondary library (on the remote HTPC computer) - I end up doing it a few times a week.

I played with Media Server, but didn't have much luck with streaming video (it wanted to download the whole file instead of streaming).  That was more than a few builds (and an OS reformat!) ago...  I should try again.

It would be much easier if the library supported multi-user access...  but until then, it's fairly easy to manually synch the two or use Media Server.

Scott-

P.S.  If I'm missing something about the benefit of Media Server, I hope someone educates me!

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 08:07:09 am »

I use media server regularly.  My workstation, which is up in a loft, is my main MC location but I also have MC installed on a laptop downstairs that I hook into my A/V set-up.  Then, via Media Center, I can stream whatever I want to hear.  This is all done via wireless.  I've been able to stream video this way too.

The reason why I prefer to do this rather than network mapping is I have access to all my playlists, all of the songs are already imported, sorted, and rated.  I don't have to maintain two separate libraries.  If I know where something is on my workstation, I can get to it without a problem on my laptop.

The only thing I wish Media Server had the ability to do was to allow me (as a designated "admin user") to make changes to my database remotely.  I have other people who access my Media Server and they should be read-only.

Other than that, I've had very little problem with Media Server and it's one of the features I use to sell MC to my friends.
Toast goes in the toaster.

LisaRCT

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 06:31:49 am »

bds42, sorry to have hijacked your thread.
I hope you have gotten sufficent answer to your inquiry.

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 10:48:55 am »

WinoOutWest

you have the best avatar on this forum.

You are in California?

bds42

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 12:27:56 pm »

LisaRCT-

No worries at all!  'No' is the answer for now I guess... ah well.

Still love MC...

bds42
Pages: [1]   Go Up