INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver VS KODI  (Read 11262 times)

mpg732

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver VS KODI
« on: August 19, 2016, 11:33:53 pm »

OK, so I have been a supporter of JRiver now for a few years.  I love a lot of features.  However why does KODI still plays hi-bit rate video better then JRiver.  I have a lot of movies that have been converted as MKV pass through with the highest quality video settings and audio tracks.  Hands down on the same PC, KODI plays smoother.  I have used multiple PC's and always seem to have the same results.  I have played around with settings and even though I can almost get it to be as good as KODI, I can still see a slight jerky playback on JRiver but not on KODI.

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver VS KODI
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:44:35 pm »

OK, so I have been a supporter of JRiver now for a few years.  I love a lot of features.  However why does KODI still plays hi-bit rate video better then JRiver.  I have a lot of movies that have been converted as MKV pass through with the highest quality video settings and audio tracks.  Hands down on the same PC, KODI plays smoother.  I have used multiple PC's and always seem to have the same results.  I have played around with settings and even though I can almost get it to be as good as KODI, I can still see a slight jerky playback on JRiver but not on KODI.

Gee I find that strange as I left Kodi after using it for years as it wouldn't play smooth! JR does for me and with madvr and smooth motion I couldn't ask for anything better.

However it does have some complexities trying to set it up, and Im still waiting on people here trying to help me do that!

mpg732

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:49:41 pm »

They have made a lot of improvements with KODI.  KODI just works.  I dodn't have to try and figure out settings.  My issue is this, I pay for JRiver.  KODI is free, I shouldn't have to figure out unclear settings to make smooth playback work.  Support and updates to this issue needs to be fixed.

murray

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:07:26 am »

They have made a lot of improvements with KODI.  KODI just works.  I dodn't have to try and figure out settings.  My issue is this, I pay for JRiver.  KODI is free, I shouldn't have to figure out unclear settings to make smooth playback work.  Support and updates to this issue needs to be fixed.

I only recently moved from Kodi to JR maybe 3 months ago, for me the improvements over Kodi are 100% better!
I have bought the new version but still haven't even bothered to use it, I will never go back to Kodi.

But if you find it works better for you maybe its worth while going back...
Unless you provide more detail for others here to help you...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:43:38 am »

Have you tried both Red October Standard and Red October HQ?  If not, please do and report what you find.

The wiki has a topic on Red October.

mpg732

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:37:23 am »

OK, so I have spent many hours playing around with settings on my current PC.  As stated before I have had JRiver on multiple PC builds over the years and seem to have the same issue with MKV's.  So current PC build.  My currently on version 21.0.83 with a bench mark of 3369.I have tried both Red October standard and HQ.  I also spent a lot of time playing around with madVR settings, I can get it very close but still not perfect.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »

Mkv always plays smooth with Red October HQ in my setup. Very smooth. But you need to define the right screen update frequency in MC video settings. And madvr/ROHQ requires GPU (or cpu?) with some muscle.

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 07:33:40 pm »

Both use dlna.  At one point in time i had kodi reading my jriver library folders but i couldnt get it see individual files.  Im thinking i saw something a while back where you have to have authentication enabled for external programs to read jrivers library, which i didnt. I have never been too concerned with it so i didnt investigate all that much.  Im wondering if you could install kodi ds player and point it to jrivers madvr installation, then fix the whole dlna problem and kind of jabe the best of both worlds.  Ive had a lot more problems with kodi than jriver but then again ny the time i found jriver and started toying with it i had learned quite a bit more than when i had started with kodi.

jachin99

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:52:55 pm »

I decided to tinker around with this today and i got kodi to play files from my jriver library.  I used kodi ds but video playback was pretty bad.  I still can't picture myself needing this setup but for those who want to try the option is out there.  I'm not entirely sure if kodi is using its own installation of madvr or jriver's.  I had to run install.bat on madvr again but my old settings are still there under video options in jriver.  Kodi also worked with wdm audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up