INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting by date within a group (series)  (Read 4012 times)

jsbenson

• Recent member
Sorting by date within a group (series)
« on: August 21, 2016, 11:06:38 pm »

I have my vids grouped by series using an expression.  I'd like to sort the vids within the series by the release date, but I'm not getting the results I expect.

In the expression I set the sorting (under "Settings") to "Date (Oldest First)".  What happens is the sort seems to be applied to the parent level and not within the group itself.

Here's an example:

Hudsucker Proxy
Home For The Holidays
Hype!
Homegrown

If I go into my Harry Potter series they are sorted alphabetically.  I wanted, and expected, the opposite.

Anyone have any advice?

Thx

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting by date within a group (series)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:30:57 am »

Theater view, Standard View, or JRemote?  Can you post some screen shots of your configuration?

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36:15 am »

You could add two sort conditions, one for Series first, and then date second, that way only entries within the same series get sorted by date, and otherwise just by series.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »

Theater view, Standard View, or JRemote?  Can you post some screen shots of your configuration?

Brian.

In Theater View.

I have 2 expressions:

The first groups by the first letter so that an alphabet view is displayed at the root level:

The second groups by the series:

Root level (still need to add the movie counts next to the letter):

Originally I thought the order was incorrect at this level, but I stand corrected:

Here's where I need them sorted by release date:

Also, I tried to display the alphabet at the root by thumbnails and the sub-levels by list, but it seems when I toggle the view for one level it effects all of them.  Is there a way to have different views for different levels?

Thanks

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »

You could add two sort conditions, one for Series first, and then date second, that way only entries within the same series get sorted by date, and otherwise just by series.

How would I go about adding sort conditions?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:38:09 pm »

Click on "Set Rules for file disply.." and in the bottom box you can add multiple sorting rules.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:23:06 pm »

Click on "Set Rules for file disply.." and in the bottom box you can add multiple sorting rules.

I see where I can add multiple sort conditions, but I'm not sure how to apply a conditional sort without the ability to create an expression.

Here's where I'm at.  I know that sort fields are incorrect, but I have them there as placeholders.

If I could write an expression I would sort by [name] if [series] is empty else sort by [release date].

Is there a way to do that?

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:30:04 pm »

Ok, I just set this up in Theater View to test it.  I've created what you want I believe.  I have a custom field I defined which drives the last stage of this called [Movie Sort].  The definition of Movie Sort is:

Code: [Select]
if(isempty([Series]),[Name],[Series] [Episode])
For each movie in a series, I set the Series to be the Movie Series name.  Then I populate episode to show the proper order.  So Die Hard is episode 1, Die Harder is episode 2, etc.

My Theater View definition for display is just like yours, except I have a third level.  Level 3 is an expression with a value of [Movie Sort].  Expression to display is simply [Name].

That seems to work in my setup.  Something similar should work for yours.

Brian.

jsbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:02:46 pm »

Ok, I just set this up in Theater View to test it.  I've created what you want I believe.  I have a custom field I defined which drives the last stage of this called [Movie Sort].  The definition of Movie Sort is:

Code: [Select]
if(isempty([Series]),[Name],[Series] [Episode])
For each movie in a series, I set the Series to be the Movie Series name.  Then I populate episode to show the proper order.  So Die Hard is episode 1, Die Harder is episode 2, etc.

My Theater View definition for display is just like yours, except I have a third level.  Level 3 is an expression with a value of [Movie Sort].  Expression to display is simply [Name].

That seems to work in my setup.  Something similar should work for yours.

Brian.

Worked great!

Thanks Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up