INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: minimum 60% cpu load for jriver 22 on linux mint 7.3  (Read 3247 times)

shimrod

• Recent member
minimum 60% cpu load for jriver 22 on linux mint 7.3
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:14:12 pm »

I've installed JR MC22 on an AMD laptop with 8 GB ram and a SSD drive. While playing music (not importing files) JRiver is using a minimum of 60% cpu, usually 68 to 74%. Two other processes (gvfsd-smb and gvsfd-fuse) are using 16 to 20% CPU each. Music files are stored on two NAS and transferred wirelessly. The gvfsd processes seem to have something to do with the file transfer.

I'd always heard linux required fewer hardware resources than Windows but that's not my experience so far. I was running windows 7/JR MC22 on the same machine and didn't have these resource issues.

I'm just getting started in linux. Is what I'm seeing typical for linux/JR and if not, what can I do to fix this? Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: minimum 60% cpu load for jriver 22 on linux mint 7.3
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:47:02 pm »

I have a funny feeling those daemon processes are the source of the problem.  Here's a thread I found with a similar sounding problem:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207773

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »

If you are using auto-import on those directories MC will try to use the inotify system for watches.
If they are mounted as CIFS though MC will not try to establish watch handles.

rockabillybass

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »

There is a well documented bug related to gvfsd-smb-browse.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1303300

Try killing the process. It seems to happen only the first time it runs during a session. After you've killed it, things seem to run properly without using up all the cpu.

shimrod

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:20:25 pm »

My high CPU cycles are on gvfsd-smb and gvfsd-fuse. The "browse" version is not listed. My music files are located on an NAS on my home network - when I kill the gvfsd-smb process the music stops. When I restart the music picks up where it left off. The smb process at least seems crucial to the playback.

I am using auto-import. I don't know what CIFS is but I'll look it up when I get the chance.

shimrod

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:14:58 pm »

I set up file transfer for CIFS and the issues with gvfsd are gone. I'm still running high CPU load. I installed mint 18 and jriver on another laptop and I'm getting 4 to 8 % cpu with the same file transfer arrangement. I'm think there's something wrong with the original laptop. I've replaced the mint 17 installation with 18 on the problem laptop and will see if that makes a difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up