INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie - migrating MC21 (Mac) to MC22  (Read 2236 times)

gd0

• Recent member
Newbie - migrating MC21 (Mac) to MC22
« on: August 23, 2016, 05:42:44 pm »

Hi

Please forgive the basic questions, but it's a little overwhelming finding my way around for info.

I'm basically coming from iTunes, where upgrading appears thorough and automatic.

I spent a few weeks with the MC21 trial, purchased the license (it seems to be in place, if only via email notification), and then downloaded MC22 (Mac). It made its way to Applications, I launched it and expected it to supercede 21, and pick up its content and settings (based on iTunes behavior). I guess I'm missing something.

When there is an update, do I start from scratch and re-import files, or is there some sort of migration tool?

In a bigger sense, is there an easy-to-read general instruction for beginners? I got fairly familiar with MC21 just by using it, but once I started to look for information in the JR/MC Help area, I got lost fast. I understand JR/MC does a lot of things, most of which I won't use; I just want to play music files via my iMac and local storage.

Thanx in advance.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie - migrating MC21 (Mac) to MC22
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 06:03:40 pm »

On Mac, when you upgrade MC across major versions (20 to 21, or 21 to 22), it does not transfer your library or settings, just like you've found out.  Luckily, doing it manually is actually really easy.  Steps:

1.  Open MC21.  Do file > library > backup library .  This will create a file with a backup of your library metadata and settings.  Note where you put this file.
2.  Close MC21
3.  Open MC22.  Do file > Library > Restore library .  Select the file you created in #1 above.  Close MC22.  Reopen MC22.  Now all of your library files, metadata, settings, playlists, etc, should all be in MC22.

I can't give you a good "general overview" recommendation for MC documentation.  The Wiki is the official place.  If you have specific questions, start new threads on them and we'll try to guide you where you should go.

Like you said, MC is a BIG program that does a lot.

Brian.

gd0

• Recent member
Re: Newbie - migrating MC21 (Mac) to MC22
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:50:21 pm »

bigentry, thanks for the fast reply and easy solution.

"I can't give you a good "general overview" recommendation for MC documentation."

I was afraid of that.  ;D

Well, while I'm at the top of the topics page, may I ask a couple more...

Is it a good idea to keep MC21 handy, in case there are issues with new 22? Or does 21 automatically trash itself once 22 is in place? Or do you never trash anything ever?

Can JR/MC ever worm its way back into my external HDD and modify anything? Even something innocuous like changing the Rating of a song? If it can, is there a way I can prevent it?

(I ask partly because of my iTunes experiences  >:()

Even just some terminology I can use for a search would be a help.

Thanx again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up