INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I convert date tags from Mediamonkey to MC22  (Read 2564 times)

rockportrait

How can I convert date tags from Mediamonkey to MC22
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:43:28 am »

Hi all.
I made the move from Mediamonkey to MC because of the zones and sound quality, but I'm having doubts as the MM tagging functions are so much better. I'm trying to bear with MC, switching back to MM temporarily when I need to do bulk edits and online discogs album matching.

Anyway, my problem is this:
I store my files in folders automatically named during my tagging process, using the original album date as part of the filepath. This keeps my albums sorted chronologically. I want re-releases files along with the original albums so I use different names (eg. "Making Movies [1984 CD]") to differentiate them.
Mediamonkey stored "original date" in (it seems) both TDOR and TORY. It looks like TYER is holding the re-release or current date.

For example: In the case of a 1984 CD release of Dire Straits - Making Movies, if I take a look at the file tag data using MC, I can see "1980" populating both TDOR and TORY. I also see "1984" populating TYER(Year).
Looking at the editable fields in MC I can only see "1984" in both Date and Year fields. There is no mention of "1980" anywhere.
I read a few related posts on this forum to try to understand how to expose this data, then created some custom fields for TDOR and TORY. Not only did those new fields not expose the data, but they just made MC crash. To be fair someone did say this method would introduce performance problems.

In order to make my tags work in MC, and allow me to continue my existing file naming process, It seems that I need to do a four step copy batch tag process to fix this problem.
1. Copy TYER to TORY
2. Copy TDOR to TYER
3. Copy TORY to TDOR
4. Copy TDOR to Date(Release)

First of all - does my solution seem like the right one?
Second, What tool can do these things?
Third, How do I batch copy data into the MC field "Date(Release)"?

I'm getting a bit old and senile these days, so long, complicated, technical explanations challenge me more than I'd like. If you can keep your explanations and advice simple I'd really appreciate it.

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How can I convert date tags from Mediamonkey to MC22
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:44:08 am »

The wiki has information on tagging.  You might read that and experiment a little.

You can set up custom tags if you need to.

MC does have batch copying from one tag to another.  You can also copy tags from one file and paste them to another (CTRL-SHIFT-V).

Putting the information in the name itself might make things more complicated than needed.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:42:20 pm »

in JRiver,

[date]=TDRC
[date (release)]=TDRL

the easy way of fixing this without a lot of work:

open the tag window on any file that has the Media Monkey tags
select the Tag Dump option

you will get a list of all the tags on the file.  you should see something like:
TYER (Year):

for all the tags. 

now go into tools>options>library & folders>manage library fields

and create a new field with the EXACT name (capitols, everything) that you see in the Tag Dump.  this should write the field across automatically to the new field

rockportrait

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:13:20 am »

Thank you for your replies so far.

@JimH - If by batch copying you mean Tools | Library Tools | Move/Copy Fields... then the TDOR and TORY fields don't show in the Source drop down.

@ferday - I tried creating custom tags as you suggested, but that simply placed two new empty fields (TDOR and TORY) into my tag list. It didn't populate them at all. Furthermore, I want the tag names to be "Original Year" and "Release Year" or similar.

I've attached some screenshots here.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:49:31 am »

Try selecting the files, right click> library tools> update library from tags
Pages: [1]   Go Up