INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback could not be started  (Read 5085 times)

Micke

• Recent member
Playback could not be started
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:39:48 am »

Hello!

I have installed JRiver Media Center 22 on my MacBook Pro (early 2011 model) running OSX 10.11.6. I have a very large collection of mp3 files that I would like to play with MC.

Most MP3 files play correctly. When I try to play certain MP3 files I get the following error: "Playback could not be started on the output 'Core Audio' using the format '32 kHz 2ch'." With different MP3 files the error is slightly different (the kHz value varies).

I have tried changing almost all audio option is MC and tweaking settings in the DSP Studio view. I have also searched solutions on the internet. But nothing helps :(

*ALL* other MP3 players (like iTunes, Clementine, VLC) play *ALL* my MP3 files with no errors so there are definitely no problems with my hardware or the MP3 files.

I would like to use JRiver Media Center since I like it but this problem is really frustrating and effectively stops me from using the MC because as a DJ I must be able to rely on the software and not receive errors while playing music for the audience.

Would you be able to help me on this issue? Thank you for your time!  :)

Best wishes,
Micke

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback could not be started
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:32:42 am »

This one is pretty easy to fix.  First, let me tell you why this happens with MC and not with other software:

When you try to play these files with MC, MC wants to give you the highest quality sound possible.  So it tells your hardware to switch to the sample rate inside of your file.  For example, when you play a 44.1kHz file, MC tells the hardware to switch to 44.1kHz.  With other players, they resample the file on the fly, and just use whatever sample rate the hardware happens to be using.

So, when MC sees a file with a value that's not very typical (like 32kHz), it tells the hardware to switch to that value and the hardware can't do it because it's not supported.  Your Mac's internal sound card should support 44.1, 48, 96, and possibly 88.2 kHz.  But not 32kHz.

The solution is to use the DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample Rate  section.  Just tell it to map everything under 44.1 kHz to 96 kHz.  While you're there, set everything *above* 96kHz to 96kHz also.  That way if you try to play a VERY high sample rate file, MC will be able to convert it for you.

That should fix this issue for you.

Brian.

Micke

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:44 pm »

Hello and thank you for the instructions!

I did this but the problem remains :(

After doing this:
- If I try to play a mp3 file with sample rate 32000 I get "Playback could not be started on the output 'Core Audio' using the format '96 kHz 2ch'."
- If I try to play a mp3 file with sample rate 48000 I get "Playback could not be started on the output 'Core Audio' using the format '48 kHz 2ch'." 
- If I try to play a mp3 file with sample rate 44100 it plays correctly.

Attached is a screenshot of my settings.

Help  ?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »

First, let me ask:  What sound device are you using?  Are you using something like a bluetooth speaker, or headset or something?  I ask because most sound devices these days should work with 48k and 96k sampling rates.

It seems like your device only accepts 44.1kHz audio.  We can change your output format setup to send 44.1 kHz for all sample rates.  To do this, right click anywhere in the column that says "output".  You'll get a menu with selections.  Choose:  "set all to 44,100 Hz".

That will map all possible input sample rates to 44.1kHz, which your audio device should accept.

Good luck!

Brian.

Micke

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:06:58 am »

Thank you for your quick reply!

I was actually playing to a bluetooth device yesterday. I tried playing with the internal sound adapter and the same mp3 files played correctly. I guess I'm not used to this kind of software that requires this much tweaking but I have solved this now for the time being :)

Best wishes,
Mikael

Pages: [1]   Go Up