INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD-Ripping: how to mark the files as "music" and tag them specifically?  (Read 2272 times)

Antoine.

• World Citizen

Hello,

I'm using MC21 on Windows 10 Pro and have a few questions about CD rips:
  • Can I have the audio files imported from a CD automatically marked as being of the "music" media subtype?
  • Can I add a specified tag to all audio files imported from a CD? Specifically add some value to the "notes" field?

Thanks for your help,

Sincerely,

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD-Ripping: how to mark the files as "music" and tag them specifically?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:57:45 am »

Can I have the audio files imported from a CD automatically marked as being of the "music" media subtype?

Interesting question.  At first I wasn't sure what you meant, but then I checked to see.  All of my music files are marked as Media Type = Audio and the Media Sub Type is blank.  You must be collecting audio files that are not music and you want to separate them?

I have a very small number of audio files that are not music.  I've got them tagged with different Genres (in some cases like Sound Effects) and a different Media Sub Type in other cases (like Test Clip).  Notice that all of my main music files still have a blank Media Sub Type; there's no need to populate that field in my case, as my default view just looks for any media sub type *except* for Test Clip.

Can I add a specified tag to all audio files imported from a CD? Specifically add some value to the "notes" field?

Because you are ripping CDs with MC, I'm not sure how the auto import rules work.  Normally, if you are importing using auto import alone, you can configure it to write any tags you want on import.  That's what I do, as I rip with a different program (not with MC).

Maybe you can set rules on the directory where you store your CD based rips?  I'm not sure since I've never tried it before.

Another way to approach this is to have an "approved" field in your database.  Approved doesn't get set until you've reviewed files and tagged them.  This would allow you to have a view that shows only files that are NOT approved.  Then you can add the tags you want (like the notes tag or Media Sub Type).  Then set approved when you're done.  Finally, you main views would all be looking for Approved and would not show files until that field has been set to true.  This allows you to have a workflow such that you get to review files before they can be shown in your main area.  Just one idea.

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
Re: CD-Ripping: how to mark the files as "music" and tag them specifically?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »

Thank you for your answer blgentry!

You must be collecting audio files that are not music and you want to separate them?
I have a few podcasts. I want to use the Music media subtype as a criteria to weed them out. But really my question is more about tagging ripped files automatically with JRiver's embedded CD-ripping tool.

I'd like to have the option to tag the ripped files (media sub-types but other fields also like notes). And since I don't want to send the ripped files to a specific folder (which the use of auto-import to do so would require) but rather directly to the general location of all music files, I'm left, it seems, without options.

It is such an obvious option in my view. I feel like there's an underlying assumption that JRiver's ripping tool is not used to rip cd's, that other external softwares are, and that the user will be able to use the import tool to apply the tags he/she wants.
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.
Pages: [1]   Go Up