INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add additional base path for additional drives?  (Read 2042 times)

jwk246

• Recent member
Add additional base path for additional drives?
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:30:41 am »

I've been ripping my Bluray collection to JRiver to a dedicated drive and I'm almost out of space. I need to add additional drives to be able to rip the rest of my collection. The base path for Blurays seems to only allow one entry- is there a path syntax to follow to allow for more drives/base paths? It appears I'll need 4-5 drives to hold my complete collection...

Thanks for any guidance....

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Add additional base path for additional drives?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:04:38 am »

I'm not 100% sure how bluray ripping works with MC.  But I'm assuming they get ripped to the path in File Location > ripped bluray .

I don't like the idea of ripping encrypted discs to hard disk.  Doing this means that you are always dependent on an unencryption program running and working whenever you want to play these rips.  We've already seen at least one software company that was doing this get shut down (and then come back to life again).

Instead, I think it's best to decrypt during rip.  So I use MakeMKV, which does a full quality rip of video and audio , but also removes the encryption in the process.  Thus there's no need for any other software at playback time; it's already unencrypted.

Because I use a 3rd party ripping tool, I can tell it to put video whereever I want.  Then I tell MC to use that directory (or directories) as auto import targets.  So any time MC sees new files there, it automatically imports them.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I thought you might like having some additional information.

Brian.

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:35 pm »

Although off-topic, your response piques my interest and perhaps reveals a flaw in my understanding of Bluray decryption. From what I've always believed, decryption programs like AnyDVD HD remove encryption when one plays or rips a file, as well as removes other user selected things like previews, warnings special features, as selected by the user. The other primary function it provides is to enable the use of the UDF file format which is not native to Windows. If this function were not present on a Windows machine, a decrypted ripped Bluray would not be able to be played. At least that has always been my understanding... please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Also, it has been my understanding that MakeMKV requires a decryption program to rip Blurays, but since they're generally saved in a file system that Windows can read, any Windows computer should be able to read them with it's native file system. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this...

Thank you for posting,

Regards,
jk

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »

Also, it has been my understanding that MakeMKV requires a decryption program to rip Blurays, but since they're generally saved in a file system that Windows can read, any Windows computer should be able to read them with it's native file system. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this...

MakeMKV does not require any other decryption program, it does its own decryption.  It's an all in one solution.  Files produced by makemkv are no longer encrypted, so any software that can read .mkvs (Media center, VLC, etc.) can read them.

I can't speak to the rest as I don't use anydvd.
Pages: [1]   Go Up