INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library reloads each time  (Read 3693 times)

aleduc

• Recent member
Library reloads each time
« on: August 28, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »

I am pretty sure it was working before in MC22.

It never happened in MC21. The problem is that everytime I start MC22, it reloads the library (and my library is big...it takes more than a few minutes) even though no changes were made.  I can start MC21 and its ready to play immediately.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library reloads each time
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »

What do you mean that it reloads the library?  Imports your files?

It always loads your library.

Maybe you are not running the install package instead of the program.

Or maybe you had Media Server set to run when Windows started.

aleduc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:47:02 pm »

No, no and...no.
I was waiting for the latest release (22.0.28) to see if that problem has been corrected...it has not.
First (your third point). there is nothing started with Windows.
Did not understand what you meant with your second point...however I do know the difference between the program and the install package.
Your first point 'It always load the library'  Yes I agree, but when you close the program and start it over again without changing libraries, it should not reload it like it was a new one....
I get the window...

Please Wait...
Loading library...

and it takes more than a few minutes to do it.  I still have MC21 running on the same library and I never experienced that problem...and I have been a MC user since version 17.  I am pretty sure that in the earlier releases of MC22, that problem was not occurring.  I might add that my music files are on a Synology NAS, but that has never caused a problem.

Just to prove my point I installed MC 22.0.28, started it, waited for it to load the library (close to 10 minutes) closed the program and re-started it and guess what...have to re-load the library again! Hope you solve this soon!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:36:58 pm »

Where is your MC library stored (the database, not the files)? Is it on a different drive than the MC21 library?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:44:48 pm »

(I'm beating Jim to this one...)

I wonder if your anti-virus software is causing this.  Have you tried configuring your AV software to ignore MC and all of it's components, like in this tutorial?

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

The other way to test this is to completely uninstall your AV software (as a TEST only) and see if the behavior goes away.

Brian.

aleduc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:25:40 pm »

Haven't tested the AV yet, but the database location raises an interesting point.
It is the same location on the Synology drive for both versions.  Would that cause a problem?...and only on MC22?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:47 pm »

It is the same location on the Synology drive for both versions.
Regards,

What does this mean? Both Versions.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

aleduc

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »

Both versions, meaning MC21 and MC22.

Thanks to BryanC, his question raised the flag on something I might have been doing wrong.

What I did to correct the problem was this
- Copied the library directory on the Synology drive to another directory
- had MC22 point to the new directory, MC21 still points to the original directory
Now when MC22 starts, it does not load the library.

Curious that I had MC21 on a couple of PCs all pointing to the same library on the Synology drive, adding MC22 on the PC pointing to that same library caused the problem.  I can only surmise that MC22 does not handle the library quite the same way as MC21.  Question is, is this a bug?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 01:25:49 pm »

They aren't compatible. To convert the MC21 library to MC22 you should use the library backup and restore method.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »

Strictly speaking, Library files (the database used by MC) should not be on network storage.  It also should not be shared by instances of MC on different computers.  The library files are designed for access from one computer at a time.  They also need speed for best performance, which is why they should be on local disk instead.

Brian.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:45 pm »

They can be shared (I do this on occasion) as long as the MC versions are similar (ideally the same). The limitation is that only the first MC instance that opens the library will have R/W access, subsequent instances will be read-only.

aleduc

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:01:30 pm »

Yes, Ihave been using library sharing for a while and yes, usually the versions of MC were the same on all computers (which might explain the hiccup I got when I was sharing the library with two different versions) and yes, the first computer to open the library is the one that has write access to it.

The reason I use library sharing is for playlist and ratings.  When I go room to room and use a different PC, I can continue on the same playlist and continue to rate the songs (yes, I have to shut down MC on the previous computer)  Would it be possible to have record locking instead of locking the whole library?  That would be interesting in the sense that I could leave MC open on all computers.

I have since upgraded the remaining computers with MC22 and the problem disappeared.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up