INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambridge CXN Network Player isn't recognized via USB to laptop in Windows 8.1  (Read 3882 times)

DallasNights

• Recent member

Just started with JRiver today and completed my initial set-up successfully so my music library plays through WASAPI on my laptop.  Laptop OS is Windows 8.1.  Now I cannot find the settings for playback that allow my USB connection to my Cambridge CXN Network Player to be recognized.  Searched the forum, but came up empty.  What settings will allow this connection to the player and the CXN DAC to my stereo?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

The wiki has a topic on Audio Setup.

DallasNights

• Recent member

If you are still following this, I can play music from JRiver through my WASAPI connection on my laptop, but not through a direct asynchronous audio USB connection.  This is the best USB connection on the player and always worked in tandem on my current laptop with iTunes.  So either I am missing a Cambridge driver on my laptop that is compatible with JRiver or maybe if I select some inferior type of streaming such as Kernal rather than WASAPI. Read thru the wiki about 20 times to find any specific solution to no avail.  The setting is IDT High definition audio Codec.  The sample rate and bit depth are at the default (16 bit, 48000 kHz)  I have gone through test tones in the Advanced portion of the Speaker High Definition.  Unfortunately the test tones only transmit on the laptop and don't come through the CXN. iTunes gave me the option between the two, so something is amiss.  The CXN player shows on the window "USB Audio No Signal".  Both boxes of the Exclusive Mode are checked.  I have tried variations, but to no effect.  It seems I need a different driver.   The asynchronous USB port is superior in that the CXN will upgrade any source to 192 kHz.  Right now I only get CD quality 44.1 via the DLNA wifi connection to the CXN from JRiver and nothing through the USB..  Please advise. 

FURTHER UPDATE: After checking and reloading the sound card driver with no apparent improvement, I have discovered what I think is the issue. In the Device Manager, this note appears on the CXN device file:  "CA CXN USB Audio 2...This device cannot start (code 10). Indicates two revision levels are incompatible".  In case the DLNA connection was one of the "revision levels", I disconnected my DNLA via the Tools-Options-Media Network.  However, this did nothing to change the status and allow the CXN to show up below the IDT controller in the Sound Playback Devices (where it should be).   Original notation stayed on the Device Manager as well.  Tried restarts of both laptop and CXN.  Seems to be a Cambridge issue.   THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS and probably is not related to JRiver, but what to do next about CXN compatibility and the IDT sound card?  Wasn't a problem with iTunes, so am scratching my head on this one.

NEW UPDATE:  Finally changed the USB 2 setting on my CXN player to USB 1 and now the laptop accepts the older version and it shows as available in device settings when plugged into the USB port. The screen on the CXN also shows 96 kHz as it should.  Unfortunately, a new problem has come up.  "Playing Now" shows both the Player and CXN (DLNA connection to wifi) as the two playback options. This is correct.  But with Player highlighted, (laptop with CXN USB 1) it will not respond when I select a song.  The song will not even begin or indicate countdown on the playback bar (only song length).  I double click the song while on the Player list (and Main Library), but it seems that the wifi (CXN) is overriding the playback selection even when grayed out.  In other words, with USB connected and everything being read, JRiver MC won't play the song.  It must be something in the settings that will not allow the MC to initiate playback.  Even with DNLA disconnected, the Player won't play the song.  Go figure. It seems I am close to a solution.

SOLUTION (slightly):  Again, I went back to the CXN Network Player.  After futzing around with the menu, I located where the "Audiophile 24bit DAC" setting had been loaded by JRiver on to the CXN under the heading of Music Library.  The Music Library setting on the CXN was never used by me previously.  The music was still at 44.1 kHz output.  So JRiver connects the CXN Library via the network, or vice versa.  However, while this is nice, it doesn't address the main issue.  STILL UNSOLVED---Even though I select USB on the Cambridge and it successfully runs a sound check test thru the stereo speakers, from the device manager on the laptop, when I select "player" under the "Playing Now" menu, the song still will not initiate playback.  Strange indeed.  NOTE:  Under Tools>Option>Audio>Player Zone, the zone Audio Device still shows the IDT High Definition CODEC (WASAPI) instead of identifying the CA CXN Audio USB 1 shown on Speaker Properties when the USB is connected.  Not sure what this indicates, but maybe someone has helpful advice.

FINAL NOTE: (hopefully) After a little more time to think it through, I disconnected the CXN completely from the wifi system.  Then reconnected the USB Type B to the laptop and opened JRiver.  Before playing a tune, went to the Sound speaker icon, opened it and unchecked the Exclusive Mode boxes under Advanced Settings.  Ran the test tone and that played through the stereo as before.  Went back to JRiver and played a song from Player, and Voila!--Music at high res from my stereo.  Input still shows 44.1 kHz, but upgrade is sonically obvious. The soundstage is much better.   Went back to the Sound Speaker icon and the Exclusive Mode boxes were still unchecked. So relinquishing the JRiver control over my laptop exclusively seems to be the difference.  What is important is the CXN recognized the laptop (Player).  I reconnected the wifi to the CXN and it appears on the menu below Player on JRiver, but inactive.  When I choose the same song from the CXN and play it, the wifi downgrade is tolerable, but obvious as well.  I would appreciate any comments or observations.  Thanks, Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Up