INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello / Panes / DVD ripping / netMD  (Read 1706 times)

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
Hello / Panes / DVD ripping / netMD
« on: July 28, 2003, 02:33:30 am »

Hi all,

1) This is my first post here, but having been lurking for quite a while. I've been using the v9 for a while now and I'm very impressed with the software. Thanks to all the JRiver guys by not only making by far the most advanced media player on the market, but also for their involvement in the community.

2) First up, I've got a couple of points and questions regarding the new Panes in 9.1. I'm guessing this has been discussed a lot, so I appologise in advance for any repetition here - but I urge you guys to switch these off by default. I'm a long time computer user  but I'm still not very comfortable in using them. I see that for power users in some cases they are useful, but for most new users they'll be turned off by the complexity of the panes.

I'm also having difficulty replicating how I had v9.0 setup in 9.1. I've read that it's quite easy to switch to the tree-type view of the v9 edition, but I'm having real trouble. For example, can I setup a tree that expands Audio in AlbumArtist (auto)/Album? I'm having real trouble replicating just this. I've got trees expanding, but the powerful customization in 9.0 of the grouping of trees doesn't seem to exist in 9.1.

Regarding the panes/tree debate, perhaps it would be good to have both examples of trees and panes on by default so the user can get play around with both setups to see which he prefers...

3) Has DVD ripping ever been a considered feature? Ripping to DivX / avi would be a very neat option. - it's one of the few media-related tasks I have to use another program for. With 9.1 supporting DVD burning, this seems like a natural progression.

On the subject, can anyone suggest a good DVD to DivX or .avi program? I'm having trouble getting a reliable app to do the job.

4) Has minidisk NetMD integration every been considered as an option or plugin? The currently NetMD software is extremely poor. Although it's a proprietry format, I think some open-source work has gone in to mapping out the NetMD protocols. Integration in MC would be awesome :)

Phew, that was a long post :-) Thanks again for the superb software guys.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
Re: Hello / Panes / DVD ripping / netMD
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 05:26:43 am »

I'm also having difficulty replicating how I had v9.0 setup in 9.1. I've read that it's quite easy to switch to the tree-type view of the v9 edition, but I'm having real trouble. For example, can I setup a tree that expands Audio in AlbumArtist (auto)/Album? I'm having real trouble replicating just this. I've got trees expanding, but the powerful customization in 9.0 of the grouping of trees doesn't seem to exist in 9.1.

OK, to do this do the following:

1. Right click on Media Library and choose Add View Scheme > Audio > Empty.

2. Right click on the "Empty" view scheme and choose "Edit View Scheme". Under Behaviour tick Populate tree. Select OK.

3. Go to the view scheme and right click in the top pane and select Columns > Add Columns > Advanced > Album Artist (Auto) to add this column. Right click in the top pane and select Columns > Add Column > Album.

This will give you a view scheme called Album Artist (auto)/Album with a tree.

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 05:42:45 am »

Thanks, it was 3) that I couldn't work out. Thanks.
I think this highlights how tricky replicating the old v9 tree view is.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 05:58:29 am »

On the audio side of #3...

I use DVD Decrypter (free) for extraction and AC3-Decoder (not free, trial) to turn the multichannel AC3 track into a 2 channel wav. Since it is trial, it will only decode 50% of the target VOB...so if your trying to pick out a particular track from the DVD, then make sure your track is in the first half of the VOB, and that the VOB is at least 2x the size of the track. Once you have the wav, you can use any media editor to isolate your track...then encode it to whatever. Decrypt is very flexible...will let you extract just audio or video (or both) and just certain chapters if you wish.

10-27

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 06:46:56 am »

DVD Decryptor looks great, thanks for the heads up.
Any chance we can get this functionality built-in in MC9? :P

I would have throught DVD ripping would be quite a useful tool for many users - moreso than many of the currently features (digital camera and iPod support etc)

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 10:24:05 am »

I use DVD Decrypter (free) for extraction and AC3-Decoder (not free, trial) to turn the multichannel AC3 track into a 2 channel wav.

That latest version of DVD Decrypter is great! Really easy to use. For extracting to .wav, I've been using BeSweet with BeSure as the frontend. Also easy...and free. I think the recommended BeSweet frontends for this task are either BeSweet Frontend (which seems to have a fairly complex interface) or HeadAC3he (which is a .rar file instead of .zip and I can't seem to get it uncompressed).

Rob

Edit:

Actually, I just figured out that HeadAC3che isn't a frontend for BeSweet. Here's a link to download the current version in .zip, also with links to download all of the required .dlls.

http://www.geocities.com/orbital_bearing/headac3he.html

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 12:03:03 pm »

Good deal, 'sauce...

Been looking for a replacement for AC3-Decoder. Upon installation it installed the WMP9 runtime package of codec's (not a bad thing really...MC will do the same). BeSweet is functionally the same as AC3-Dec?

There's just tips galore here...today.

10-27

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 01:52:23 pm »

BeSweet is indeed sweet. Does a great job of converting a multichannel VOB into a stereo wav (many other formats are available). Using the BeSweet GUI with the following...

"d:\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "s:\KOYAANISQATSI\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_1.vob" -output "s:\temp\KoyaanTest3.wav" -substream 0x80 -2ch -logfilea "D:\BeSweet\BeSweet.log" ) -azid( -n1 -s stereo -F wav --maximize )

Note that I turned SSRC off (downsamples to 44.1 kHz...Koyaan is 48kHz). MC will play the 48kHz wav back fine, but the ogg encoder only likes 44.1 (it still encodes, but the overall pitch drops...sounds slowed down). I disabled SSRC because on downsampling it was introducing some artifacts into the wav. I've changed a few Azid settings since then so I'll try it again.

Great package...beats the pants off of AC3-Decoder.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up