INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 22.0.21 no audio after Windows 10 "upgrade"  (Read 2873 times)

uilleann

MC 22.0.21 no audio after Windows 10 "upgrade"
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:43:07 pm »

Hi all,

About a month ago, I did the "upgrade" Microsoft kept screaming about to windows 10 from 8.1.  Prior to this, my MC worked fine.  However, after Windows did whatever it did to the system, I no longer have consistent sound.  I'm no programmer, and have no understanding of what goes on behind the scenes apart from trying to correct user settings in both MC and Windows to play nice together.  From what I can tell, it appears that MC is playing fine, but there is a disconnect between the source and the speakers.

I'll try to include the most pertinent information about the system in use:  Windows 10 Home on an ASUS M32AD-B05 PC.  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 handles A/V.  I have also used an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC in a USB slot in the back to try and bypass the soundcard's built in DAC (due to an annoying hum I would get using the stock card).  This is feeding into a Polk Audio Omni A1 amplifier.  Normally, I was able to connect wirelessly through our network via WiFi before the Windows takeover.  Sometimes, I found that the wired connection was better (no latency/lag) for video sources to keep audio and video properly synced.  Now, there is a new video option recently added to the DTS PlayFi system (current build is: 1.4.0.1926) that the Polk amp uses.

In the computer, I'd been using the DTS PlayFi audio renderer in the playback devices as my primary device.  And in the MC settings, I had luck set to either the Default Audio Device (Direct Sound), or the DTS renderer (WASAPI).  But since the "upgrade", I seem to have lost any semblance of normalcy in the system.  It doesn't seem to matter if I change settings, it just doesn't work.  YouTube seems to do OK, if I use the wired connection and the Dragonfly DAC.

I have checked, and checked again to verify if I have the latest drivers and updates applied for the Nvidia card, as well as the Omni/PlayFi system.  I am told that I'm all up to date.

Is there something huge and obvious that I am just missing here?  It doesn't seem like it should be this hard to get an audio signal out of a computer, to the speakers.

TIA!

Brian~

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 22.0.21 no audio after Windows 10 "upgrade"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:30:18 am »

Go to Windows Sound Properties, find the sound device (i.e. NVidia) on your computer then click Properties. Make sure it is setup to match your number of speakers and set the default rate to highest sample rate and bit depth.

uilleann

Re: MC 22.0.21 no audio after Windows 10 "upgrade"
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:45:20 pm »

Go to Windows Sound Properties, find the sound device (i.e. NVidia) on your computer then click Properties. Make sure it is setup to match your number of speakers and set the default rate to highest sample rate and bit depth.

Have tried this, though my primary audio out on the PC (DTS Play Fi, to a Polk Audio Omni A1 amp) sample rate is now greyed out and stuck on 16 bit, 44.1 sample rate.  There seems no way to change it now.  Not sure if this is something new in Windows 10?  the DTS Play Fi environment perhaps?  Or something else.  All I know is that the 8.1 OS didn't have issues - and now with 10, I do.  And the only things I'm aware of that updated was Windows (to 10 of course) and MC from 21 to 22.  Scratching my head here...

Thanks for the earlier suggestion.

Brian~
Pages: [1]   Go Up