INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Attributes  (Read 1970 times)

Duffin

• Recent member
File Attributes
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:16:23 am »

I have all 14.500 Music Files synched to Amazondrive.
Everytime I play a file, the "last read" attribute is changed, and the synch system thinks the file has been updated.
This causes a load of unnecessary network traffic.
Is it possible to switch off the attribute change when I play a file? I cannot find the "switch" anywhere.
I am using MC 21 on Windows 10 and MINIMAC servers, English language OS
Thanks for any advice anyone might have for me.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: File Attributes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:58:12 am »

Perhaps this:  Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update Tags when File Info Changes

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: File Attributes
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:48:06 am »

I have all 14.500 Music Files synched to Amazondrive.
Everytime I play a file, the "last read" attribute is changed, and the synch system thinks the file has been updated.
This causes a load of unnecessary network traffic.
Is it possible to switch off the attribute change when I play a file? I cannot find the "switch" anywhere.
I am using MC 21 on Windows 10 and MINIMAC servers, English language OS
Thanks for any advice anyone might have for me.

If it's really syncing based on last read and not on last modified then amazon's sync client is either broken or misconfigured. Last read just indicates when the file was last accessed not last modified and shouldn't trigger a sync.  Last read is generally handled by the filesystem, so there's no way to prevent a read triggering the change in that attribute to my knowledge.  Additionally, last read has been disabled by default on Windows since Vista, so on Windows 10 you may not even have the last read attribute (unless you specifically enabled it), or maybe it's on the MiniMac side (I don't know if OSX supports extended permissions, but Unixes usually do)?  Which machine/side is the sync client running on?

Assuming the actual issue is the modified date changing, Andrew's advice is the thing to investigate first.  Another setting to investigate is to check the "manage library fields" submenu under options.  Each tag will have an checkbox that says "write tag to file if possible."  Check the playcount related tags and make sure the box isn't checked for those tags, otherwise MC will write to the file on every play.
Pages: [1]   Go Up