INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: getting JRiver to ignore CD/DVD drives  (Read 10988 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
getting JRiver to ignore CD/DVD drives
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »

I use dBpoweramp to rip CDs and makemkv to rip DVDs. However, every time I put a disc into the drive, JRiver freezes up and stretches itself down into the bottom Windows taskbar for 10-15 seconds while it retrieves metadata and reads the disc. I'm assuming during this time it's also denying access to the disc for dBpoweramp, slowing dB down from grabbing metadata. I've clicked "Take No Action" when a disc is inserted in JRiver, but JRiver still reads every single disc and locks up for a bit every time I insert a new disc.

Is there any way to get JRiver to completely and forever ignore my disc drives? (other than ripping on a different computer)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: getting JRiver to ignore CD/DVD drives
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:55:36 pm »

windows basic 101....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »

If you are thinking Autoplay TAO1857, and this is a Windows 10 PC that has been upgraded from an earlier version, I have found Autoplay to be very dodgy, not remembering interactive answers to questions, settings and such.

So that could be the problem here. I have to assume that MC isn't set to import from the disc drive, because that would just be a very bad idea. If MC is closed and this still happens, it has to be Autoplay starting MC.

So Alan, test for the problem when MC is closed. If it still happens, look into Windows Autoplay as see if you can get it to stop launching MC when you insert a disc. Do this in the settings, not when you insert a disc. If you can't get MC to stop launching, turn Autoplay off and test again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:33:50 am »

windows basic 101....
This isn't helpful. If you don't know, then you don't know. We all had to learn at some point.

RoderickGI
I kind of got the impression that MC launching wasn't the issue here. The first post reads as though MC is already running, but that AlanDistro just wants it to leave the disc drive alone when a disc is inserted. I may be wrong about that though...

As well as setting MC to "Take no action" when the disc is inserted, you also need to tell it not to do the online lookup...

AlanDistro,
Try this in MC's options, see if that helps at all...
Open options, and type online in the search bar at the bottom.
Take the tick out of "Allow automatic CD lookup/submission"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:20:37 am »

Yeah I meant Windows Autoplay was trying to open the CD/DVD contents, which can happen whether MC is running or not.

The "Take No Action" should stop that, but I have found that unreliable in Windows 10.

Thinking about it again, I suspect your suggestion is more likely the problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:55 am »

AlanDistro,
Try this in MC's options, see if that helps at all...
Open options, and type online in the search bar at the bottom.
Take the tick out of "Allow automatic CD lookup/submission"

Thanks, I did this, I'll see if it locks up the next time I rip.

And you were right, the problem happens when JRiver is already running, I'm listening all day in the background, so JRiver is always open. And then any time I insert a CD to rip, even if JRiver isn't the focused program, it still pops up the "looking up disc info" or whatever it says, and locks up for the 10 seconds that it takes and it's just a little annoying. :) I'll update if this fixes it.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »

Didn't work, I still get the "Analyzing optical disc" and spinning wheel from JRiver when inserting media. Won't be a huge deal in another tow months, but I'm at the end of ripping all of my CDs, have about 600 left, and the pause at the beginning of every single one is enough to make me want to shut down JRiver until I'm done hah. Everything in the menu is unchecked w/r/t metadata and whatnot.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 05:28:25 pm »

Thanks, I did this, I'll see if it locks up the next time I rip.

And you were right, the problem happens when JRiver is already running, I'm listening all day in the background, so JRiver is always open. And then any time I insert a CD to rip, even if JRiver isn't the focused program, it still pops up the "looking up disc info" or whatever it says, and locks up for the 10 seconds that it takes and it's just a little annoying. :) I'll update if this fixes it.

Just wanted to say I feel your pain.  I ripped about 2k CDs last year with dBpoweramp and JRiver playing music in the background and I saw the exact same behavior you saw.  I never found a fix either and had a thread running on it for a bit.  I think it's just "the way things are."

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 03:04:01 am »

Have also reported similar in past.  I have yet to find a way to stop MC from interfering when I insert an optical disc...  frustrating.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:11:36 am »

You can set this in MC, in Windows, and in other applications.  Try all 3.

Dorsai

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:27:25 am »

I have the same issue and have already done everything within MC and Windows to disassociate MC and CDs and still have the same issue.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:09 am »

You can set this in MC, in Windows, and in other applications.  Try all 3.

Tried many times over the years, Jim.  Doesn't work.  MC will still try to interfere.  Actually, at one point I got it to stop trying to scan CDs, but that also seems to be back.

All my Windows auto-plays are OFF.  MC AutoPlay set to Nothing.  File Associations all set to NO for optical discs, but I still see the Analyzing Optical Disc window.  Not for all discs, though, that's the confusing part, but for too many...

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 06:32:13 am »

I've also had this problem with MC 19, 20, 21, 22 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10.  Spent a lot of time on it just like the rest of you before giving up.  It's not as bad once you're huge ripping project is over.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 06:53:04 am »

I often end up shutting MC down entirely when ripping lots of discs.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:42 am »

I also use dbpoweramp to rip CDs.  I've looked many times for a switch in MC to shut off auto access to the CD drives with no success.  Not a big issue but would be nice if available.

RD James

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 04:28:40 pm »

I also have this problem when ripping discs. I have to quit JRiver or it slows things down too much waiting 30s+ every time I change discs.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the issue, but sad to hear it's probably here to stay. I'll try just shutting JRiver down and listening via Spotify or something while ripping. 600 discs to go, then I'm done and will only have to worry about new purchases - yay!

rec head

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 06:34:11 pm »

I use MC to rip CDs so I don't have the problem there but I've always had it when I insert a BD to rip in MakeMKV while MC is running. I have tried turning off all autoplay  options I could find in Windows and MC. I just quit MC first and it saves a lot of time.

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 11:16:34 am »

Add me to the list of users affected by this.  Tried turning off every related option I could find in MC22 and Win10.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 11:40:24 am »

Do you have AnyDVD or similar software installed?

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »

The programs I have installed that might have something to do with the optical drive are Handbrake (the program I was using when I noticed this), MakeMKV, and VLC (my best guess at what "AnyDVD or similar software" would be).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 07:44:09 pm »

AnyDVD is a specific optical disc decryption application.

It runs in the background and monitors the optical drive for disc insertion.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 09:04:27 am »

Not sure who Jim was directing his question at, but no, no AnyDVD. I have MakeMKV and VLC and dBpoweramp as the only other apps that should be addressing the optical drive outside of MC and Windows itself. But I don't think it's an other software problem as everyone else posting to this thread, including beta team members, see the exact same behavior. Thankfully I've finished another 200 CDs since starting this thread, only ~400 to go and then I can deal with it once or twice a week when adding new purchases. :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 09:17:45 am »

Does anyone who has this problem not have MakeMKV or VLC or Handbrake or DBPoweramp installed?

I'm not ruling out the possibility that this is an MC problem.  I'm just trying to learn what might be causing it.

rec head

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:29 am »

I have MakeMKV and VLC on the machine.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 01:41:48 pm »

I also have the issue but last time I ripped a couple of CDs with dBpoweramp I closed MC + Server beforehand and it still took a while for dBpoweramp to respond...

I'll do a few more tests next time I ripped CDs...
Pages: [1]   Go Up