INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: testing before i buy  (Read 5198 times)

vcrpro3

• Recent member
testing before i buy
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:40:56 pm »

I've installed MC 22 eval version on two of my PC's, one running win 10 the other Win 8.1. I have 2 Silicondust HD Homerun
 dual tuners, one of the older and one of the newer versions. On the Win 10 machine, both tuner units are seen and configurable, on the 8.1 install only the old tuner is seen and configurable. Is the some sort of blocking arising from this being a test install of MC22 on my 8.1 PC? Will purchasing the licence get me the ability to use the HD Homerun tuners? I want to have three of these tuners active.

vcrpro3

• Recent member
Re: testing before i buy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:47:21 pm »

Forgot to mention, the tuner that can't be set up on the 8.1 PC is accessable with Silicondust's own viewing program.

vcrpro3

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »

Update 2; Now getting message on Win 10 Pc, while trying to watch tv on MC22, "catastropic failure, no tuners available". Tuners still work with Silicondust program(non dvr capable)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »

Firewall?

vcrpro3

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:13 pm »

Can't see how it could be that, it's off and i said bothe tuners work on their own software, but it is non dvr...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:55 pm »

A firewall (or other security software like antivirus software) might allow one program but block another.

Silicondust has instructions on their site.  Many of our customers use their tuners without problems.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 05:40:13 pm »

The trial is fully functional, so purchasing won't change things.

Many people use HDHomerun tuners, so it will be something on your system. For example, the firewall, as Jim has explained. I know Windows 10 will turn the firewall back on if you don't have an active firewall. I'm not sure about Windows 8.1, but I suspect it does also.

Anyway, I'm not a HDHomerun user, and different models have different issues, so it would be a good idea to post the exact models that you have, so other people can assist.

In the mean time, conflict with another program is a common cause of issues with any tuner. You Windows 10 system works, and Windows 10 can't have Windows Media Center on it. What about your Windows 8.1 system, does it have WMC on it? If so, you need to stop all WMC tasks and services. You can't just close the program, but must stop its background services that do things like collect EPG data and start and stop TV recordings. In fact, it is best to uninstall WMC on a PC where you want to run [JRiver] MC. There is even a setting under "Tools>Options>Theatre View>Behaviour>Disable Windows Media Center" to stop WMC from stealing Infrared commands from MC.

If you have any other software accessing the tuners, even if it isn't active, you need to close it down.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:23:16 pm »

I've gotten this message before aND I'm thinking resetting the tuner fixed it on a newer model.  Are you able to read  other dlna devices on the pc your having problems with?  Can both jriver installs see other dlna devices?  Have you tried to rerun the HD home run software?  I'm thinking HD home run tuners have a jriver specific setup

vcrpro3

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:48:44 pm »

I have reset the tuners a couple of times with no luck. On bot win 10 and 8.1, the tuners work with their software.

vcrpro3

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »

Two of the Silicondust tuners are connected in the network. One is a HDHR-US model, the other is a HDHR4-2US wondering now if there is a conflict with and older and newer unit on the same network. I have another of the more recent versions. Will connect it up and see what happens. I would like to ideally have the capalbility to record 5 different programs while watching one...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 11:57:23 pm »

I think only the HDHomerun Primes use DLNA connections. All the others are just BDA driver connections. Yaobing corrected me on that recently. Search the forum for clarification.
See this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,104740.msg728237.html#msg728237
Note also that Norton Firewall was ultimately the problem in that case.

I also remember something about having to set the HDHomeruns for a JRiver configuration. Some setting in the Silicon Dust software does that. That may only have been for CABLECard tuners though. Again, search is your friend.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

vcrpro3

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 12:48:30 am »

There might be something to that DLNA issue. As i stated, both units work with their own software, but problems are worse when both are in network. The newer one shows in the PC network map but not older one(pic of older model)

vcrpro3

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:00 pm »

...And yet another question...How many OTA tuners does Media Center 22 support?. Right now, in testing, it looks like i am to able to record 4 programs at once on this one pc....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 08:27:16 pm »

tzr916 has nine tuners. He has some issues with recordings, but I don't think they are related to the number of tuners he has.

I don't know of any hard limit on the number of tuners you can use. No-one has ever mentioned such a limit. I suspect if there is any limit, it would be due to PC hardware (memory, bandwidth, CPU, etc.) rather than MC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 05:12:54 pm »

There is no hard limit on the number of tuners you can use.  Your computer hardware is the ultimate limit.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 05:01:07 am »

If you install the Silicon Dust software and the JRiver software at the same time, perhaps the SD software is not "releasing" the tuner for JRiver program to use.
Can you uninstall the SD software to test this theory?
Pages: [1]   Go Up