INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspended Process Killer Plugin  (Read 7902 times)

millst

• Galactic Citizen
Suspended Process Killer Plugin
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:08:39 pm »

Thanks for the idea and hard work of working through the solution, terrym@nz and chris635. See this topic for a description and VBS version:

VBS script thread

I skimmed the script and created a C# plugin that does the same terminate every 15 minutes (as well as on stopping). Being a plugin, it has the benefit of knowing exactly when MC is playing or not playing. No need to worry about MCWS, WMI, scheduled tasks, etc.

Requirements: .NET Framework 4 and Media Center (duh :))

-tm

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Suspended Process Killer Plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:52:08 pm »

Very good indeed
However you might like to reconsider terminating on stop.
If you are browsing around and stopping and starting tracks that causes a lot of terminations.
I also think 15 minutes is a little fierce, 30 minutes is usually enough to keep the Windows 10 alive.

You are also going to have provide some info for novices on how to install/uninstall plugins.

Other than the above, really excellent, much simpler for users than my clunky script.

Would you mind sharing the source code?
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:18:26 am »

It's not an issue if you are jumping between tracks, but if you actually press stop after each one before proceeding to the next, then yes. An enhancement for the next version. Is there some issue that has been encountered with terminating things too often? I'd rather terminate more often than risk running into the issue.

There is nothing to document. You just run the installer.

Perhaps, but I'm not going anywhere and will support it for a while. I really hope it's temporary and MS fixes the root issue. This is a major kludge.

-tm

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 01:24:19 pm »

I'll leave you to it then....I prefer to share (as you have benefited from) but if you think what you have is a secret then you had best keep it.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:29:54 pm »

I think I've already shared. Nobody made me post this or agree to support it. You could have GPL'd it if you were concerned about the open source movement.

-tm

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:02:15 pm »

Have a good day :)

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 02:21:54 am »

Version 0.2 posted. It waits at least 5 minutes between kills when playback is stopped. During playback, the 15 minute periodic sweep is unchanged. Targets MC22 since I finally got around to installing it.

-tm

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:16:01 am »

You are also going to have provide some info for novices on how to install/uninstall plugins.

Major kudos to all who contributed. Great piece of community effort.

I'd also like clarity on the uninstall process is.

I'm reluctant to load an executable without some assurance of how to back out of the whole deal. I've had too much frustration before with otherwise benign apps because they don't want to be removed.

I like to go into new territory with eyes wide open, that's all. Thanks..   ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:59:08 am »

Like any other plugin in JRiver, Tools->Options->Services->Manage interface plugins->SuspendedProcessKiller->Uninstall.

It can also be uninstalled through the usual OS control panels. I missed a bug in the installer template the first time around so its name there is simply "Version 0.1."

-tm

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 04:10:29 am »

why not just migrate to LTSB, remove all those wretched modern apps/store and be done with it :P

(thanks for the script/plugin OP)

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:15 pm »

As time goes on, that's sounding better and better. On top of the telemetry and ads, MS keeps watering down the pro version. Might be time to pony up a few bucks for Enterprise.

-tm

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:42 pm »

FYI, new 64-bit installer posted. The plugin itself is exactly the same.

-tm
Pages: [1]   Go Up