INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id Pi -- The Disappearing Computer  (Read 3752 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Id Pi -- The Disappearing Computer
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:52:22 am »

I took an Id Pi (serial #1) home this weekend to use instead of my NUC based Id.  The results were amazing.

I plugged it in and let it dangle behind the TV:

Here's what I wrote to Bob:
"The Id Pi has been a big success here. The lights were working in about 5 minutes. Just worked.  Nice going! i'm playing audio with it now.  No problems.  I'm also transferring 50GB of music to it while I'm playing.  No dropouts at all."

The one I tested had a 128GB microSD card, and it had about 120GB open.  The music I transferred represented about 200 CD's worth and used only about half the space.

The time to boot and the responsiveness were both good.

tasar

• World Citizen
Re: Id Pi -- The Disappearing Computer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:43:07 pm »

Jim
I would like the noise of the computer in another room. Big "IFs" however. First, aside from DLNA, I seem to remember a USB wifi dongle (maybe "onboard") now available from Raspberry. Do you have experience with the wifi and whether or not the ID can communicate with an Airport internal network ? I use JRemote this way i.e. create local Airport network and tag its address to Remote. Otherwise can it be done without Ethernet or DLNA ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:25 am »

We do have a wifi adaptor, but we don't have enough experience to say what the problems with it are, if any.  We will fix any we find.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:56 am »

Guess you can't solve a problem without a question. Perhaps the ID dept. can chime in on the WIFI capabilities and whether it can communicate, as does Remote, over Airport internal network. It would also be appealing if Remote could access cellulary much like our Hero cameras, it can't be a mystery.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:21:21 pm »

Guess you can't solve a problem without a question. Perhaps the ID dept. can chime in on the WIFI capabilities and whether it can communicate, as does Remote, over Airport internal network. It would also be appealing if Remote could access cellulary much like our Hero cameras, it can't be a mystery.
The RPi3 has internal wireless. You can use an Airport wireless router just like any other wireless router. The Id doesn't speak Airplay however. It's a DLNA device. If you want to get at it from a cell network you need to port forward to it from the router just like any other version of MC.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »

Airport as used aboard any Mac can be instructed to generate a "wireless" access with an address specific for that operating session. JRemote can be instructed to access given that address.

Do it daily, no router, no Ethernet, no mess. So if Id sees Remote app which is tagged to library from airport source ( MacBook) is it plausible Id sees the library?

Can't seem to word this any better, sorry.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 01:26:57 pm »

Airport as used aboard any Mac can be instructed to generate a "wireless" access with an address specific for that operating session. JRemote can be instructed to access given that address.

Do it daily, no router, no Ethernet, no mess. So if Id sees Remote app which is tagged to library from airport source ( MacBook) is it plausible Id sees the library?

Can't seem to word this any better, sorry.
Using a self generated ip? (169.254.x.x)

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »

Exactly Bob.... Works just fine w JRemote and fast. No router necessary no wires no complaints. It would be great if Remote could work things from both ends so to speak.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:15:50 pm »

Exactly Bob.... Works just fine w JRemote and fast. No router necessary no wires no complaints. It would be great if Remote could work things from both ends so to speak.
You should be able to use the Id without an internet connection, I'm pretty sure others have. Use the network configuration to give it a static address, it won't self assign a 169.254.x.x address. It should be on that 169.254 net so that other devices can find it.

Then JRemote or Gizmo can talk to it by entering in its static address in either of them.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 07:50:18 pm »

Finally ! Thanks Bob, but it's still an investment whether by Id or by software and one's own PI...... Anyone care to share results ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up