INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMC Remote Control Button Mapping  (Read 2940 times)

imcardle

• Recent member
WMC Remote Control Button Mapping
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:37:48 pm »

Hi,

I originally raised this issue a long time ago (see: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99786.msg706395.html#msg706395) but it was a low priority back then and I was wondering if it has fallen off the radar completely?

My family are protesting that the buttons on the remote control do not do what they say they should do!  I understand that by changing the names of the menu items in theatre view this has broken the linkage between the WMC remote buttons and the menu items that I want them to select.  However, I really think that if you let the user change the names then you should also let them re-map the remote control to work with the new names!  I don't like the default menu names (Audio, Video etc) - they just don't work for me so I'd much prefer to use my own (Music, TV etc).

My family have been very patient with me, but I feel that they've persevered with this for a long time now and I need to find a solution.

Please can you consider raising the priority of this issue?
My hardware:  Shuttle xPC SZ68R5 case, Core i7-2700K, 8GB, TBS6284 PCIe quad tuner (DVB-T2), Intel HD3000 graphics, Samsung TV (HDMI), Aeotec Z-Stick
My software:  Windows 10 Home (x64), J River MC 22.0.97, Engen 1.0.55
My location:  United Kingdom

imcardle

• Recent member
Re: WMC Remote Control Button Mapping
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »

Any comment from the developers on this topic, please?
My hardware:  Shuttle xPC SZ68R5 case, Core i7-2700K, 8GB, TBS6284 PCIe quad tuner (DVB-T2), Intel HD3000 graphics, Samsung TV (HDMI), Aeotec Z-Stick

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »

I have not found an easier way of mapping the remote buttons.  That is why nothing seems to be happening.  It is not forgotten though.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:37:43 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

Sorry it's taken me a long time to reply.

Just an idea, but have you thought about adding the ability to assign a shortcut key combination to each of the custom menu items in the Theater View settings?  That way, I might be able to use an external application to map the remote control buttons to the shortcut keys and work-around this issue.

It's a real pain having to go back, back, back, down, right, down, OK to jump from one place to another!  I just want to be able to press "Guide" on the remote and have it take me to the EPG, regardless of what name I've given it in the menu.  Likewise, for the other dedicated buttons like "RecordedTV".

imcardle

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:45:42 am »

Unfortunately, there is still no official solution to this problem in the Media Center software itself.  However, I have discovered a suitable (albeit rather convoluted) work around that might be of use to other people who have modified the default names of the menu items.

I have used two free tools to achieve the solution:

"Advanced MCE Remote Mapper" - this can be used to map any of your remote control's buttons to a keyboard combination e.g. Pressing "Recorded TV" on the remote control automates pressing "CTRL + SHIFT + R" on the keyboard.

"Auto HotKey" - this can be used to write a simple script which automates pressing a sequence of keys such as "Up Arrow", "Backspace", and "Enter".  This can be used to effectively navigate around the Media Center menus.  In turn, the script can be triggered using the keyboard combination that was set up using the "Advanced MCE Remote Mapper".

I've tried this and it works very well - as long as you get your script right!  If anyone out there would like more details (or a copy of my script) please feel free to contact me via the forum.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:21:55 pm »

I use an MCE remote cloned to a Harmony 1, and it works exactly the way you've described yours isn't. I press Guide, and it takes me to the guide. What does it do when you press Guide?

Shalmaneser

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:46:01 am »

Unfortunately, there is still no official solution to this problem in the Media Center software itself.  However, I have discovered a suitable (albeit rather convoluted) work around that might be of use to other people who have modified the default names of the menu items.

I have used two free tools to achieve the solution:

"Advanced MCE Remote Mapper" - this can be used to map any of your remote control's buttons to a keyboard combination e.g. Pressing "Recorded TV" on the remote control automates pressing "CTRL + SHIFT + R" on the keyboard.

"Auto HotKey" - this can be used to write a simple script which automates pressing a sequence of keys such as "Up Arrow", "Backspace", and "Enter".  This can be used to effectively navigate around the Media Center menus.  In turn, the script can be triggered using the keyboard combination that was set up using the "Advanced MCE Remote Mapper".

I've tried this and it works very well - as long as you get your script right!  If anyone out there would like more details (or a copy of my script) please feel free to contact me via the forum.

Wow... I was looking through the information for remote controlling a PC running JRiver MC, thinking "Android! Sweet! I won't have to slog through character mapping!" M.C.'s interface is nonstandard and positively funky at times. The search is great, but missing things. (google keyword suggest comes to mind)
Only to find this thread.
My ideal is to have the basics of play/pause/volume /next/prev sitting on my cell phone and have the PC act on it. Scrolling through the playlist would be grand, but not required.
Too much to ask for free?
Pages: [1]   Go Up