INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: She only smokes...when she drinks  (Read 5650 times)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
OT: She only smokes...when she drinks
« on: July 30, 2003, 06:03:34 pm »

Well, actually...change the "she" to "he" and the "she drinks" to "he computes". Also bump up the frequency to any time. I tend to smoke a ton of butts when I'm sitting in front of a comp. Not sure why...they just seem to go hand in hand. It seems to help out my thinking process. I really need to quit but that's another story.

Do you feel me? Does anyone else have this unhealthy quirk?

10-27

PS: For the un-enlightened...the subject line is a real song title. Those cwazy country western writers...what will they think of next? I've been working on a new tune myself...about a man that finds love at his local garage. I titled it "She changed my oil, now I love her". Should really hit home.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: OT: She only smokes...when she drinks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 06:47:58 pm »

Nope. Don't smoke. Never even tried it. Not even once.

Seriously.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 07:19:19 pm »

I don't smoke or drink.  I'm not stupid enough for either of those things. :P

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 11:39:51 pm »

I dont do either either.
Smoking really sucks!!

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 01:14:19 am »

I tend to smoke a ton of butts when I'm sitting in front of a comp. Not sure why...they just seem to go hand in hand. It seems to help out my thinking process. I really need to quit but that's another story.

That sounds familiar...after a day in front of the computer I usualy smoked about 50 butts (Benson&Hedges)... sometimes it's the only thing that keeps me awake...and it even tastes better with a glass of wine :P

Some time ago I discovered the water pipe, filled with apple tobacco - sounds disgusting at first, but: It really tastes great, is more healthy and even much cheaper - and the room smells better ;)

"She changed my oil, now I love her"

Mmh, together with some Willie Nelson or Johnny Cash sound... I guess this will be a number one in country charts ;D Do it quick!

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 01:25:50 am »

I know how you feel.

luckily I'm in a non-smoking office at work, so I can't chong-'em most of the day.

I also use rolling tobacco (drum), which I guess slows down my smokes/hour ratio.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 01:27:14 am »

Nope. Don't smoke. Never even tried it. Not even once. Seriously.

Yes, of course, like Bill Clinton  8)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 01:41:49 am »

I always thought the average forum user is a married male who pretends to be 51 (but that was years ago) and lives somewhere in the backwoods. He drinks at least one gallone beer per day because his wife has forbidden him to smoke ("Dear, please, no smoking in this house! Think of the curtains!").

But I was completely wrong! Please forgive me - Some guys are really different! ;D

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 02:08:10 am »

Other than being 20 instead of retired, I fit that description rather well. Except I manage sneak in the smokes :-)

I always thought the average forum user is a married male who pretends to be 51 (but that was years ago) and lives somewhere in the backwoods. He drinks at least one gallone beer per day because his wife has forbidden him to smoke ("Dear, please, no smoking in this house! Think of the curtains!").

But I was completely wrong! Please forgive me - Some guys are really different! ;D

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 03:10:57 am »

I know too how you feel  ::)
Anyhow I prefer something better.
8)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 03:18:13 am »

Well, if apple tobacco is not enough for the water pipe...
I really need to quit but that's another story (TM xen-uno)

LonWar

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 03:57:37 am »

I know how that is.

Luckily I quit smoking. I smoked for about 13 years and I haven't had a smoke since Jan 02.. 1.5 years

;D
-

Roger_the_Shrubber

• Recent member
  • 6 strings good, 4 strings better
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 04:06:17 am »

The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get - Joe Walsh - 1973

Mr. Smoketoomuch (Eric Idle) - Monty Python

Yeah, my depraved youth in rock bands (playing in bars & with groupies as well as the need to project the correct "heavy muso" image) resulted in my unfortunate addiction to the mild weed.

Me & me PC need a good ole smokescreen happening to improve communication. The South African spirit of choice (brandy) together with cola completes the picture. Reminds me of those old minds eye images of private eyes working late at night in sleazy untidy offices and all the other the Mike Hammer type props.......

In spite of this nasty addiction, I still enjoy solo long distance mountain biking (not very competitive you understand) and the other day I ALMOST managed to catch two +- 18 year old washing thieves over a distance of about a mile (the bastards swiped our washing while we were in the house!).

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 04:20:58 am »

I ALMOST managed to catch two +- 18 year old washing thieves over a distance of about a mile (the bastards swiped our washing while we were in the house!).

That's not the whole story. While you were gasping behind those teens, I was able to complete my collection of ugly underpantz ... thanks, Roger  8)

zevele10

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 04:57:06 am »

just do not put the box on your computer table.
Put it in another room.

Like it you need to wake up if you want one.
Trust me ,many many times you just  do not wake up.

It is what i do ,after having smoking like never before when at the computer.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 05:14:54 am »

Yes, of course, like Bill Clinton  8)

Nobody ever believes me. But I swear it's the truth.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 05:26:00 am »

As somebody who's worked on PC's that belong to smokers... it is nasty.

It comes in, and it's all yellowed. I'm not even sure if they realize it's yellowed when it comes in, but that nice beige color is no more.

You turn it on, and you can smell cigarrettes. It's inside the PC and it comes right out the exhaust fan. Nasty.

And then heaven help you if you actually have to open it up. PC's collect a lot of dust. Dust acts as a nice old net for cigarette smoke. The dust, too, is all yellowish brown and it smells even worse than the exhaust.

And then there's this fine layer of some sort of oily grime all over everything.

I've actually called customers up and told them to come pick their PC's up because I refused to work on it with it being as absolutely filthy as it is. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've seen some really dirty PC's that had never come in contact with cigarette smoke, but the smoke definitely makes it an unbearable mess. It was one of the reasons I wanted out of the public PC arena.

I can't help but look at a PC like that and wonder what that person's lungs must look like.

And now a question for you smokers. One thing that's always bothered me about them (in general - nothing personal). They are the laziest bunch... They're not allowed to smoke indoors. So the go outdoors. But can they be bothered to walk a few feet away from the door before lighting up? No. They stand right in front of the door. Not only does everybody else have to smell what they're smoking, but we can't even get through the doorway without having to squeeze past. The same thing bothers me when it's just two people who know each other bump into each other in the doorway and decide that it's the perfect place to chat. The smoking just exacerbates the whole situation. So what's up with that? Is it really so hard to just walk away from the door a little ways?

And why is it that smokers can get a 10 minute cigarette break every hour or so, but non-smokers get yelled at for standing around doing nothing?

LonWar

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 05:33:07 am »

And now a question for you smokers. One thing that's always bothered me about them (in general - nothing personal). They are the laziest bunch... They're not allowed to smoke indoors. So the go outdoors. But can they be bothered to walk a few feet away from the door before lighting up? No. They stand right in front of the door. Not only does everybody else have to smell what they're smoking, but we can't even get through the doorway without having to squeeze past. The same thing bothers me when it's just two people who know each other bump into each other in the doorway and decide that it's the perfect place to chat. The smoking just exacerbates the whole situation. So what's up with that? Is it really so hard to just walk away from the door a little ways?

And why is it that smokers can get a 10 minute cigarette break every hour or so, but non-smokers get yelled at for standing around doing nothing?

The only real thing that bothers me about smokers are the ones that smoke in a car with a child, Or in the same house as one.
It's one thing to pollute your lungs but I think it is totaly irresponsible and disgusting to do that near a kid...

And yes, I used ot smoke, But never around children.
-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2003, 06:40:21 am »

You just need to get a box of candy cigarettes and follow the smokers out the door.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2003, 06:46:44 am »

Well, actually...change the "she" to "he" and the "she drinks" to "he computes". Also bump up the frequency to any time. I tend to smoke a ton of butts when I'm sitting in front of a comp. Not sure why...they just seem to go hand in hand. It seems to help out my thinking process. I really need to quit but that's another story.

Do you feel me? Does anyone else have this unhealthy quirk?

8 or 9 years ago, I worked at a place that allowed smoking, and I was doing about 2 packs a day. Pretty unhealthy and expensive. When I came to JRiver,
the frequency at work went down - I'd go outside about once per hour. I don't remember it being hard to change. I probably smoked more after work to make up for it though.

A couple of years ago, I quit. I didn't tell anyone (I didn't want to ruin my reputation as a bad boy) and it was months before anyone noticed :)

j

NoCodeUK

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 07:23:13 am »

Im with you Doof.  I have never smkoed a cigarette in my life and people always think I must be lying.  And the break thing drives me mad too but I make up foir it by posting to Interact at least once an hour while they have their ciggie breaks ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

sraymond

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 07:40:59 am »

"Real Men" (TM) smoke cigars...  and "Real Women" (I must resist the urge to make a Clinton joke!)...

I never smoked a cigarette in my life, but I've had about sixty cigars.  I've got a good idea on the count, as the only time I ever smoked was when I was in Honduras on deployment.  No drinking, no women (I'm married)...  and I had to have at least one vice!  A cigar a day, for two months.  Man I hated the taste in my mouth when I woke up in the morning.

Scott-

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2003, 01:10:26 pm »

Thank you all for your input...

If you would like to see Interact have a non-smoking section, please register your vote here...or send an E-mail to dreamscometrue@jriver.com in care of JimH. Put "Rotting flesh smells better than smokers" in the subject line if voting yes..."Let's burn one" if voting no.

I personally vote no for some of my best friends don't smoke (I never hold that against them, though).

10-27

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2003, 02:12:16 pm »

I agree, Xen, smoking at the desk is nice... it's good to have a prop, especially if you're working on a big project.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2003, 02:44:46 pm »

Nobody ever believes me. But I swear it's the truth.

Will you stand by that if we impeach you Doof?

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2003, 02:45:52 pm »

I know how that is.

Luckily I quit smoking. I smoked for about 13 years and I haven't had a smoke since Jan 02.. 1.5 years

;D

5 years, 3 months now.....god i still want one after a few beers!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2003, 05:47:28 pm »

If you would like to see Interact have a non-smoking section, please register your vote here...or send an E-mail to dreamscometrue@jriver.com in care of JimH. Put "Rotting flesh smells better than smokers" in the subject line if voting yes..."Let's burn one" if voting no.

Ok, we've got enough mail now.  You can stop.  Please!  We'll post the results tomorrow night at
http://www.xencantblowasmokeringstosavehislifeandevenmyolddogcoulddoitbetter.com.

fex

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2003, 06:49:14 pm »

mmmmpffffhhhhh. I like my cygarette. In Europe, it is still allowed. AT your own risk, whitout any crazy attorneys (like US-ones). We are free!  Everywhere! (Not only in or in front of some curious bars). Love the free parts of our world!  ;)

nameless

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2003, 11:08:20 pm »

So if one drinks a glass of red wine every day, to help ward off heart disease (or even just because it is enjoyable), he or she is "stupid" for doing so?  Thomas Jefferson was a real idiot then!

Stilton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2003, 01:29:21 am »

It's is much healthier to drink 2 units a day than 0 units a day. I've known doctors suggest this to patients for a various reasons.

I'm still holding out that this is the case with cigarettes too...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2003, 04:02:10 am »

Will you stand by that if we impeach you Doof?

Of course! Why would I lie about something like that?

Oh, and ah... by the way... I didn't get a chance to set the record straight in that other thread but... I'm not actually female... I'm male. All the way.

zevele10

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2003, 05:19:04 am »

Some time ago I discovered the water pipe, filled with apple tobacco - sounds disgusting at first, but: It really tastes great, is more healthy and even much cheaper - and the room smells better

-=-=-=-=-=

This is good. But do you REALLY smoke water pipe when at your computer ??

If one day ,you want some more extreme feeling,put cheap wodka in the water [50/50].

Now you can put only wodka and grass...but ,in this case ,stay away from your computer.....

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2003, 05:28:47 am »

This is good. But do you REALLY smoke water pipe when at your computer ??
Yes, looks somehow funny to visitors, but when they are smokers, they like it , too ;)

If one day ,you want some more extreme feeling,put cheap wodka in the water [50/50].
Now you can put only wodka and grass...but ,in this case ,stay away from your computer.....

I did that quite often 20 years ago... took me to a "higher level" quick, as I remember ;D... fortunately I didn't used computers at these days ;D

zevele10

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2003, 06:00:31 am »

I will try it -- in front of the computer i mean-
It looks like a VERY cool thing.

Do not have any tobaco right now , and friday afternoon ,every places close.

By the way : you are speaking about the large water pipe that you put on the floor?
Or a smaller one ,in glass ?
Big as ,let say a bootle of beer?

PS: i do not mean a Bang

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2003, 06:19:35 am »

By the way : you are speaking about the large water pipe that you put on the floor?
Yes, it's a smaller one for the floor (about 80cm high, metal+glass, one tube), but I have it on the table... I bought it in an arabic store, and they even have lots of nice flavored tobaccos - But my favorite is apple (or something homegrown ;) ).

zevele10

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2003, 06:37:03 am »

Here ,a lot of people smoke water pipe.
There is coffe shops playing space and Grateful Dead music where you can buy a Nargila [ must be the arab name] ,seat on floor level sofa and enjoy.
But ,next weeh i will try when at the computer.

I'am not sure to want to stop to smoke ,but i really would like to smoke less.
Keeping cigarettes for concerts. Because i cannot imagine a concert beer and cigarette less....

Concerning homegrow ,with my old age ,i do  as tea...
No rush and it last hours.......

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2003, 07:36:05 am »

There is coffe shops playing space and Grateful Dead music where you can buy a Nargila [ must be the arab name] ,seat on floor level sofa and enjoy
Yeah, you can find some of these shops (and even some restaurants) here, too - But the music is more goa / chill out  ;) I like to be there, especially in the restaurants...
Because i cannot imagine a concert beer and cigarette less....
No butts, no beer, that's not club atmosphere...

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2003, 09:24:56 am »

Well, my body is a temple, and I refuse to pollute it with dangerous and impure substances. So I make sure that I refuel with only healthy and natural products - like organic gin, GMO-free beer, low-fat tobacco smoke, free range margarine, healthy chunky chips deep fried in all-natural vegetable oil and of course gallons of fair trade coffee.

Oh, and ah... by the way... I didn't get a chance to set the record straight in that other thread but... I'm not actually female... I'm male. All the way.

Come on Doof - you dont expect me to really believe that do you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up