INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 improvements to TV tuning?  (Read 1768 times)

Ark :D

• Recent member
MC22 improvements to TV tuning?
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »

Hello JRiver!

I'll just ask my question up-front.  I did check out the "Plans for MC22" thread but I didn't see much, so I ask: Is there much in the way of plans for improvement to JRiver Media Center's role as a TV-tuning home theater server/client solution?

Last summer, I purchased a license for MC21.  The software was used to replace a NextPVR/Kodi setup, with a server (with a 6-channel Ceton CableCard tuner installed), and three client PC's that also ran Kodi.  MC21 filled this role admirably for the last year, up until about two weeks ago.  The latest version of NextPVR, in conjunction with the availability of more complete skins for Kodi, fixed my wife's nagging complaints about that setup, so we went back to a NextPVR/Kodi system.

I'd like to consider the purchase of MC22, but I'd like to hear about any possibly-pending improvements to it specifically in the role of a TV-tuning, home theater server/client.  MC21 worked fine for us when it worked, but almost daily issues with it got too old and frustrating to deal with.  Chiefly, these three:

• Almost daily, MC21 would "lose" all six Ceton tuners.[/b]  When this occurred, none of the six tuners would appear in the tuner status area, and MC21 would report no tuners available to satisfy the request.  A reboot would bring them back, but that shouldn't be necessary.
  • About three times a week, MC21 would "stop working" on the server HTPC.[/b]  This may have been connected to the first item, as the tuners would again be unavailable until rebooting the server machine.
  • Guide wonkiness.  Over the course of the year, with some help from folks on here, I was able to tweak the TV guide but about five times total, the guide just bugged out and stopped updating.  This is even after installing the latest version of MC2XML, switching to and from different sources, etc.  The most-recent occurrence of this problem was only about a month ago.

I would just like to add that the server HTPC is a solid machine.  It was entirely new as of spring 2015, and it has had no stability issues (including with the 6-tuner card) outside of MC21.

I don't want this to sound like some kind of accusatory post;  that's not my intention.  I just want to be convinced to buy and continue using MC22.

Thanks for your time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC22 improvements to TV tuning?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 05:51:44 pm »

We have a full time person, Yaobing, on television.

The EPG isn't something we have any control over.

I looked at your old posts and the last one about Ceton said you were doing fine with it. 
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,102884.msg714394.html#msg714394

We don't see as many Ceton tuners as we do Silicondust now.  But if all the tuners disappear, there is a good chance it's a driver issue.

Ark :D

• Recent member
Re: MC22 improvements to TV tuning?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:51:29 pm »

Fair enough, thanks for your responses JimH.
Pages: [1]   Go Up